Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 10:41 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Why do people feel the need to tell others how they should feel?

And who is recommending that people today be held accountable for slavery?
Some moron will bring up reparations about once a month.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:58 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Some moron will bring up reparations about once a month.
There has never been any serious traction on paying reparations. It's a talking point for the extreme left and right of both parties.

Besides that fact, America has already paid reparations to American Indians, Japanese, and Holocaust survivors. I hardly saw anyone blink an eye when that happened.

I don't support reparations, but it seems there's a deep underlying message when it comes to reparations for slavery coming from both sides of the political aisle.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:02 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
READ IT yourself

https://digital.tcl.sc.edu/digital/c...ion/bro/id/250

Old 05-24-2019, 11:12 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It was a hard era for humans in general. People were much tougher black and white. I’m just thankful I was born when I was, as you should be.
Depending on where you are in this world, it’s STILL a hard era for humans. Ask the people in Syria or Iraq. People are as tough as circumstances demand them to be.

So the fact that the epoch may have been tough is no excuse for wanton murder, rape, torture, and ripping families apart and selling off their children.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:15 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Slavery wasn’t that bad at all, according to www.proudconfederateheritage.com. They can’t put anything on the internet that isn’t true.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Regardless, it wasn’t as bad as abortion. Think of the millions of aborted souls who never got the chance to breath the air or feel the sun on their faces.
Abortion isn’t relevant to this topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
many were like members of the family.

Frequently they pleaded with local officials for permission to remain where they had long resided, and sometimes they simply ignored the law and settled on worthless, abandoned land near their former master's plantation. Some even refused to leave the old homestead and adamantly claimed it as their rightful home despite the stunned objections of their former owners.

https://www.theroot.com/why-did-free...uth-1790897284
No Slave was ever like a member of the family. That’s not even possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
A better question would have been what was the percentage of people that actually owned slaves. Whether the slaves were treated well or horribly isn’t a valid question. Too many today believe if you’re ancestors were white and in USA during the time slavery was legal then they either owned slaves or believed slavery should remain a legal institution.
There were 4 million slaves by the end of slavery. That means a helluva lot of people were participants in the institution.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:32 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
many were like members of the family.

Frequently they pleaded with local officials for permission to remain where they had long resided, and sometimes they simply ignored the law and settled on worthless, abandoned land near their former master's plantation. Some even refused to leave the old homestead and adamantly claimed it as their rightful home despite the stunned objections of their former owners.

https://www.theroot.com/why-did-free...uth-1790897284

Of course telling a slave to "skat now , you're free" was like telling them you now have no place to eat nor sleep today. Freedom requires the kind of resources a newly freed slave didn't have at the moment of freedom.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:19 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Depending on where you are in this world, it’s STILL a hard era for humans. Ask the people in Syria or Iraq. People are as tough as circumstances demand them to be.

So the fact that the epoch may have been tough is no excuse for wanton murder, rape, torture, and ripping families apart and selling off their children.
I can’t imagine not having any control over your own life. Without a doubt a terrible existence. You for sure have ancestors who lived through that and I believe I do maybe farther back.

We’re talking about a time when people were whipped in public for adultery or fornication which was simply being suspected of sexual contact outside of marriage. People sold their incorrigible boys into apprenticeships at age 11 where their childhood was over and they worked until age 21 for little or no pay and endured abuse.

I’m not saying slavery wasn’t terrible but the slaves were not alone to abuse in those harsh times.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:29 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
I can’t imagine not having any control over your own life.

China's social credits system is a Progressive's wet dream.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:31 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
China's social credits system is a Progressive's wet dream.
oh ffs gtfo with that bs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies