Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 07:12 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I live in Texas, people break in all the time. Just because some homeowners carry doesn't mean criminals don't break into houses, we have about the same burglary rate as California. In fact the burglary rate is slightly higher than California's and the U.S average, and in most states that support gun rights vs. one's that don't (New York (50th state) out of 50), gun right's states tend to have much higher burglaries.

IMO this has nothing to do with people having guns at home and has to do with NYC being tons of apartments and the fact that burglarizing apartment complexes may be harder than single family houses.

So no, homeowners having guns doesn't mean people don't burgle houses in fact their is a slight correlation going the opposite way, albeit correlation doesn't mean causation.

Also their was talk in this case that the homeowner might be a known drug dealer or maybe just a business owner and that is why he was targeted. But as far as I know no further information has been given.
My first thought was when did this happen? I don’t recall it, but apparently it happened in April. My second thought was is it drug related, especially when I found out the guy was only 20. But whether it was drug related or not, people have a right to protect themselves in their own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 07:14 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Nor was the car. Surely you can see the difference.

So once again, when would the victim have been deemed to have gone too far? As clearly the limit is not the property line.
You asked a question what was going too far? I gave you my opinion. I would draw that line where the intruders are off your property.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:21 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
My first thought was when did this happen? I don’t recall it, but apparently it happened in April. My second thought was is it drug related, especially when I found out the guy was only 20. But whether it was drug related or not, people have a right to protect themselves in their own home.
They did say the guy knew who the robbers were, they also said this was planned, so the guys must have had some reason to think this guy had large amounts of cash laying around in the house.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:25 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's pretty upsetting two of them lived.

Since I live in Harris County, my taxes dollars go towards those hospital bills and trail.

Cremation is cheap in comparison.

My sister moved to Tennessee for a few years. During the first week they lived there, my brother-in-law Mike visited the local bar. One of the folks there was the local judge. The conversation of guns came up, where they asked Mike if he owned any guns, he said yes. The judge said if Mike ever found himself in the unwelcome situation where he was forced to shoot a burglar, to make sure he killed him.... much less paperwork that way.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:46 AM

284 posts, read 1,020,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I didnt even think about that aspect, I think you are right, if it had any other state, when he pursued them outside, as they got into the car to escape, and he was still firing on them, he would be charged with something.

I expected to hear police giving him a hard time about how he acquired such a gun (since he was only 20 yrs old and I doubt he could afford the $25K that some people claim AKs cost).
25k?? Was it gold plated? I think your off by a couple zeros on that price

Old 05-24-2019, 07:48 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I bet they were surprised when they saw that gun come out from under the couch and not a bag of money!!

Man Uses AK-47 Against 5 Home Invaders, Killing 3 And Injuring 2 – Concealed Nation

Wow. Well. a mag full of 7.62x39 will certainly get the point across.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:01 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
25k?? Was it gold plated? I think your off by a couple zeros on that price
No joking, there were many posters here on CD that believed full autos like this cost ridiculous amounts of money to legally own, $25K and up!!

I think this is due to the 1986 laws, making it illegal to own anything full auto that was manufacturered AFTER 1986, but as Ive mentioned more than once, the AK is the most mass produced and used assault weapon on the planet, its foolish to believe they are not flowing into the country like drugs or water!

Old 05-24-2019, 08:12 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
According to the article;

"The defender continued the gunfight with three occupants of the car that delivered the two home invaders. The group fled the scene in the car.

The car crashed a couple of blocks away. One suspect was found in the car, dead. One wounded suspect was found at Capitol and 71st Street, he was the suspect that died at the hospital. The third suspect from the car was wounded, fled the scene, and was being treated in the hospital."

What right did the homeowner have to go after the men in the car? It sounds like they did not enter his property, but just dropped off the two men who did invade his house. I expect him to be charged with two counts of murder.

Also, before going overboard with hero worship for the homeowner, I suspect that he and the intruders were all gangsters and this was some kind of war between drug dealers.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:26 AM

19,639 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Burglaries are higher in TX because of the low lying residences in sparsely populated areas with a much lower amount of witnesses. However, in TX, you're legally allowed to defend yourself.

Burglaries are lower in urban areas like NYC because apartments are harder to break into, cops patrol more frequently and, there are usually many more witnesses. However, in places like NY and CA, you are, in essesnce, not legally allowed to defend yourself.
Burglaries and property crimes are lower in northern rural states. It would be easy to break into rural houses surrounded by trees in Vermont or Maine but crime rate per capita is much lower than Texas or New Mexico.

The house where this happened is in a densely settled area. Those dumb boys didn't care.

This also demonstrates the reason homeowners may feel they Need a high capacity rifle - multiple perps. It isn't always one scrawny meth head skulking about looking for an unlocked door and a purse. You can have a gang of terrorist perps literally invading your home. It isn't unusual in such cases for gang rape to occur if there are women or girls in the house. Nice isn't it....

Old 05-24-2019, 09:46 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,568,183 times
Good for the homeowner. When you break in someone's home, you deserve whatever you have coming to you. Those gangsters wanted war, they got one, but the homeowner won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies