Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 02:24 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not dishonest at all.
These are effectively bans..as has been pointed out.

And again, if that's your only quibble.....
You consider my criticism of your thread topic a quibble.

your claim in this thread topic of cause and effect is dishonest, which is hardly a "quibble".

done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 02:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I know that, the point is you need to understand underlying issues as to what may drive stats. A state with a large black population would necessarily have higher infant morality rate regardless of abortion laws.

My Mother was OB nurse and until her recent retirement was also holding birthing classes since the early 70's. Despite these services being offered for free and other free prenatal programs the first time many of these low income women were seeing a doctor was when they were getting ready to give birth. She also mentioned many of them paying attention to their cell phone instead of the class if they attended. Those paying attention were typically middle income etc.

confused:

So because if her experience maternal and children's healthcare should not be made available to save baby's lives?

Old 05-24-2019, 02:30 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The pill, condoms, the morning after pill, one partner, etc. The list goes on and on of options for people not to be using abortion as birth control.
And yet those states underfund programs that create access to free or low cost BC for those who need it. And they mandate abstinence only education. They’re hypocrites. They claim they care about the babies and hate abortion, but do nothing to stop it except force women to give birth.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:31 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
confused:

So because if her experience maternal and children's healthcare should not be made available to save baby's lives?

I think it's very important to educate mothers to be and make sure they get proper prenatal care. You can't force them to do it though. The services my Mother was providing through the hospital were available for free to any Mother to be however many of them never took advantage of them.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You consider my criticism of your thread topic a quibble.

your claim in this thread topic of cause and effect is dishonest, which is hardly a "quibble".

done.
I, and another poster, pointed out that it isn't a dishonest title because the new laws being enacted are effectively banning abortion when they are banned by the time many women even are aware they are pregnant.

So yes, it's a quibble. The bigger question is just how precious are baby's lives in these states? It doesn't seem like they are that precious after all.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:32 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
I know that, the point is you need to understand underlying issues as to what may drive stats. A state with a large black population would necessarily have higher infant morality rate regardless of abortion laws.

My Mother was OB nurse and until her recent retirement was also holding birthing classes since the early 70's. Despite these services being offered for free and other free prenatal programs the first time many of these low income women were seeing a doctor was when they were getting ready to give birth. She also mentioned many of them paying attention to their cell phone instead of the class if they attended. Those paying attention were typically middle income etc.
Your mother knew the patients’ income level?

Old 05-24-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Also, what does “etc” mean in this context?

Old 05-24-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I think it's very important to educate mothers to be and make sure they get proper prenatal care. You can't force them to do it though. The services my Mother was providing through the hospital were available for free to any Mother to be however many of them never took advantage of them.
Perhaps better communication,advertising and availability in underserved areas would help.

But, you can't force everyone to be responsible. I'd prefer a woman (of any race, ethnicity or SES) who did not want to be pregnant, have an abortion asap rather than continue ingesting drugs and alcohol, and possibly bringing a child into an abusive situation. Not many are standing in line to adopt babies born addicted.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:40 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post

While you can never completely judge a book by it cover it's not too difficult to guess someone's income with some accuracy by their appearance, demeanor or even looking at their hands. Since she was also involved with the registration for the classes she would of known how they were paying.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:43 PM

So your mother was prone to stereotyping people. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies