Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 04:38 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,441,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Where are the men in this equation?

Plenty of them are having unprotected sex and WANT abortions for the women they inadvertently impregnate.
There are no repercussions for men in the current GOP scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 04:39 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,760,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
would you provide a source for "50% of abortions are due to birth control failure" assertion? I would like to read it.

this is an older 2013 study about the reasons women seek abortion:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3729671/

Women’s reasons for seeking an abortion fell into 11 broad themes. The predominant themes identified as reasons for seeking abortion included financial reasons (40%), timing (36%), partner related reasons (31%), and the need to focus on other children (29%). Most women reported multiple reasons for seeking an abortion crossing over several themes (64%).
Sure, but I was wrong by on the failure percent, it’s 51% not 50%. Here you go:

https://www.guttmacher.org/news-rele...th-they-became

Old 05-24-2019, 04:50 PM

15,590 posts, read 10,327,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Sure, but I was wrong by on the failure percent, it’s 51% not 50%. Here you go:

https://www.guttmacher.org/news-rele...th-they-became
did you consider the source of the reference?

see my previous post. contraceptive failure wasn't mentioned by Bmc researchers as a major reason reported by women for abortion.

the Guttmacher institute, the source you provided, was founded by alan Guttmacher, who served as president of Planned Parenthood and vice-president of the American Eugenics Society. always consider the source!

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-24-2019 at 05:32 PM..

Old 05-24-2019, 05:10 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,306,997 times
Quote:
you changed the subject to health care. m-kay. Not going to engage further with you on this subject.

I'd hate to be married or involved with anyone who won't stay on the subject of contention. changing the subject is not an effective way to debate or discuss a topic.
Actually, access to health care and reproductive services are very well connected and highly correlated to the availability of aborion services. And a large part of accessibility to health care is influenced by the policy choices of the individual states.

You're just trying to deflect this because it refutes your positions. Nice try.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,390,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Actually, access to health care and reproductive services are very well connected and highly correlated to the availability of aborion services. And a large part of accessibility to health care is influenced by the policy choices of the individual states.

You're just trying to deflect this because it refutes your positions. Nice try.
Yep.

You don't get to say you're pro-life and against legal abortion if you don't support preventing unwanted pregnancy and the availability of maternal and children's health care.

That's the whole point.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:40 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,502,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
That's your only quibble?

BTW Mississippi's infant mortality rate is the highest us the US. Those babies don't concern you as much as a week's old embryo?
I've noticed another very strong positive correlation. Pro-abortion thread starters employ the highest use of strawman fallacies.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:52 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,760,479 times
Quote:
did you consider the source of the reference?

see my previous post. contraceptive failure wasn't mentioned by Bmc researchers as a major reason reported by women for abortion.

the Guttmacher institute, the source you provided, was founded by alan Guttmacher, who served as president of Planned Parenthood and vice-president of the American Eugenics Society. always consider the source!
Interesting given the link you posted used data from Guttmacher as well. I guess you only trust their data when it confirms your views.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:57 PM

15,590 posts, read 10,327,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Interesting given the link you posted used data from Guttmacher as well. I guess you only trust their data when it confirms your views.
Noooo. I do not only trust data that confirms my views. On the contrary. I love black swans!

I linked to research published by ncbi and bmc. (bmc) boston medical center women's health aint the Guttmacher institute. there is no comparison in credibility of peer reviewed research between the two.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-24-2019 at 06:20 PM..

Old 05-24-2019, 06:25 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,555,936 times
To a one, those states enacting anti-Roe vs. Wade legislation have the lowest level of healthcare and especially so regarding other women's health issues. You wonder how the female half of the population of those places is going to vote, next time around? Karma would be served, if those hypocritical bigots were shooting themselves in the foot.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:21 PM

25,421 posts, read 17,101,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Where are the men in this equation?

Plenty of them are having unprotected sex and WANT abortions for the women they inadvertently impregnate.
Then get one. The next day.
I don't see the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies