Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 04:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Try to crawl out of one hole and fall into another just like the elected officials in the Virginia Governate over alleged racism and sexism. After being accused for metoo against 4 women. Social Justice news media source Buzzfeed investigated a source in which Tony Robbins the self help guru used the N-word at a self-help meetup in front of a crowd of African Americans 35 years ago. The video footage now is spreading through social media and mainstream media which are bastions of the Social Justice, Intersection and Feminist left and causing a "Moral Panic. Even though the event took place roughly 35 years ago.

I can agree and we all can agree that the N-word is bad and has negative conotations behind it. However context matters, and Tony Robbins used the N-word in joking/poetic matter. Context matters then, and it matters, but for moral busy-bodies, context does not matter I don't think he meant to be racist. Also times have changed. What was not so sensitive then in the 1980s has become extremely sensitive and offensive now due to evolution of norms & morality. With the four women accusing Tony Robbins of sexual harassment and now with Tony Robbins being accused of being a racist bigot. Is this self up guru career is over? Not a good time for the self help guru.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buz...g-racial-slurs

https://youtu.be/KHFuTE2YHAw

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-25-2019 at 05:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 06:08 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Robbins has been sketchy from the get go. IF he is starting to delve into decisive rhetoric, it just means his grift is losing steam and needs a jump start.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:21 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Robbins has been sketchy from the get go. IF he is starting to delve into decisive rhetoric, it just means his grift is losing steam and needs a jump start.
He needs to see a therapist.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:29 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
He’s not starting to use sketchy language. He used it 35 years ago...back when you still occasionally heard the word on network tv and definitely a lot in movies. He was saying don’t let people who call you names bother you or hold you back. And his mostly black audience was laughing. These days people take words too seriously, even call it violence. Young people are shielded from words and told they can go to safe spaces and get therapy if words bother them. Which message is more empowering?

Old 05-25-2019, 06:30 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
He needs to see a therapist.
That will never happen. I'm sure he'd advocate doubling down on thinking more positively about whatever mental aberrations are causing his discomfort. That and peddling a few million more books would surely ease the pain...

Old 05-25-2019, 06:41 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
He’s not starting to use sketchy language. He used it 35 years ago...back when you still occasionally heard the word on network tv and definitely a lot in movies. He was saying don’t let people who call you names bother you or hold you back. And his mostly black audience was laughing. These days people take words too seriously, even call it violence. Young people are shielded from words and told they can go to safe spaces and get therapy if words bother them. Which message is more empowering?
Agreed, watched the video and while it was still incoherent, it clearly was in the self-help dialogue/lingua franca of "don't let others put you down shtick". Just for the others in this thread to know I don't know this guys political origins at all so i'm not defending him because he is a con or liberal. But clearly it was taken out of context.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Agreed, watched the video and while it was still incoherent, it clearly was in the self-help dialogue/lingua franca of "don't let others put you down shtick". Just for the others in this thread to know I don't know this guys political origins at all so i'm not defending him because he is a con or liberal. But clearly it was taken out of context.
I was ready to get mad until I watched the video. Then I thought this message should maybe be more popular today. Don’t use the n-word, but tell people they shouldn’t let words have so much power over them. I watched a video about those guys who say it’s okay to be white on college campuses as a social experiment (none of them are white btw). When they were at Evergreen, the college president sent out a campus wide email blast saying they had therapists to help anyone who was bothered by this, for both students and staff. From my Gen X perspective, I think that’s freaking nuts, but these kids are being taught all the wrong things. Words are not violence, and people should be taught that they can only hurt if you let them hurt. That’s empowering.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:02 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
He's sketchy as all get out but something he said 35 years ago doesn't interest me.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:08 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
If the N word is so offensive and bad, than why can't African American rappers stop themselves from using it? Why do African Americans vote with their dollars to support the use of this word in the entertainment industry? Not defending the use of this word by white people, merely pointing out obvious hypocrisy.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He's sketchy as all get out but something he said 35 years ago doesn't interest me.
He is sketchy, but no more sketchy than any televangelist or self-help guru. They provide a service for people willing to pay them for it, and whose to say it doesn’t help a lot of them in the end? I would never go to one of his seminars, nor donate to some televangelist, but I don’t care if others want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies