Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 07:46 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Owning a large collection of guns is the last refuge many of them have in maintaining an illusion of their manhood. Real men don't need such things to feel safe and secure in their own skins.
So how does that explain my wife wanting another one for herself ? I'm pretty sure she isn't trying to prove her "manhood"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 08:13 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
You're right. My manhood is an illusion, as I happen to be female.

Still, even if I were a man, while I'd feel "safe and secure" in my own skin, I'd still protect that skin. I was cutting some new single track out in the middle of the woods today, and came upon a section of woods where there was bear scat every three to ten feet; some big, some small, some very fresh. Must be a mama and baby or two in the area, and I'd not want to run into them carrying only a bow saw, rake and loppers. Best outcome is I yell and they move the other way, but you never know.

(I also went back to the house and brought the dogs out with me.)
Naw, the new age elitists say you are just scared and paranoid, and lacking in whatever sexual category they decide to insult.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:42 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I think you're making one error: The guns may seem unneeded to you or me, but they are crucial to the paranoid people who stockpile them. But, sure, to a certain extent, they'll show up on Ebay or Craigslist, just like old tube TVs do. Or they'll be turned in with programs like in NYC where they city offered money for guns.
can't sell guns on ebay

gun ads are still subject to state and federal law, restrictions apply.

collecting is not stockpiling

paranoid and feeble minded people keep passing ineffective gun laws as a solution to a complex problem. Essentially they keep placing a duplicate bumper sticker over bumper sticker to their bumpers in a vane attempt to solve the problem. then in their delusional state, proudly proclaim they are working to solve the problem.

guns do not go out of popularity or replaced by new technology.... same as golf clubs, canoes and long bows and arrows.

the media has attempted to convince us that guns are going out of popularity in the face of record gun sales and a wave of new gun owners, especially women.

the determination as to what is needed or wanted and what is not, is a purely individual decision.

gangs will still have firearms and remain exempt from laws.

OP is a pipedream which reveals the liberals desire to achieve the theoretical goal of no guns equals no gun deaths. A pure fantasy.

Is a corvette a necessity, who really needs to own a corvette, what happens to old corvettes?

Old 05-28-2019, 09:51 AM

956 posts, read 745,004 times
Quote:
Owning a large collection of guns is the last refuge many of them have in maintaining an illusion of their manhood. Real men don't need such things to feel safe and secure in their own skins.
And what do you do to feel manly?

Old 05-28-2019, 09:58 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Absolutely! Just google Paranoid Gun Owner and be overwhelmed by a ton of Liberal drivel.

Why google, when it's the next post after yours?

Quote:

Old 05-28-2019, 11:02 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
can't sell guns on ebay

gun ads are still subject to state and federal law, restrictions apply.

collecting is not stockpiling

paranoid and feeble minded people keep passing ineffective gun laws as a solution to a complex problem. Essentially they keep placing a duplicate bumper sticker over bumper sticker to their bumpers in a vane attempt to solve the problem. then in their delusional state, proudly proclaim they are working to solve the problem.

guns do not go out of popularity or replaced by new technology.... same as golf clubs, canoes and long bows and arrows.

the media has attempted to convince us that guns are going out of popularity in the face of record gun sales and a wave of new gun owners, especially women.

the determination as to what is needed or wanted and what is not, is a purely individual decision.

gangs will still have firearms and remain exempt from laws.

OP is a pipedream which reveals the liberals desire to achieve the theoretical goal of no guns equals no gun deaths. A pure fantasy.

Is a corvette a necessity, who really needs to own a corvette, what happens to old corvettes?
YOu cannot sell on Ebay, but you can sell them on Craisglist, and 100s of other online classified sites, so restricting it on Ebay is mostly just for show imo, people that want to sell guns online know where to post them. I sold some guns on Craigslist a few years back, it was easy and free, the same process if I had been selling a used weedeater!

I also agree about it pointless to keep coming up with new gun control laws, its known that past laws are not effective at all, criminals do not obey laws, just like the drug laws that exist, they are very tough, but at the same time, numerous cities and states have major heroin epidemics going on!! (how can this be possible since heroin is illegal).

Old 05-28-2019, 11:27 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Quote:
On what are you basing your statement? Personal opinion? I know many people with large collections...don't seem to be related to their "manhood" in any way, shape or form. By the way, what is a "real" man?

Old 05-28-2019, 12:11 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
And you know how many people who actually own multiple firearms (more than 3, so we can go from "several" to "many" in common jargon) and also fit your absurd stereotype?

Owning firearms isn't about feeling anything re: my own skin. Firearms are tools. Period. They serve various purposes that some folks wish to have tools for. Period.

Do you hold the same opinion of people who own deluxe socket wrench sets that only ever see the adjustable wrench and maybe the 1/2-5/8" sockets get any use? If not, why not? Same exact thing, owning a bunch of tools you will almost certainly never use for their intended purpose, but I bet you don't make this same type of condescending stereotypical judgment against the socket wrench folks. Ask yourself why.

Why does anyone own anything you don't think they need? What gives? After all, given your level of self-righteousness and condescension evident from assigning the thought process of everyone who owns multiple guns, you are the arbiter of what people should and should not own, yes? How do you feel about owning any set of tools that falls outside what you personally find necessary or useful? Do all tools represent the "last refuge of manliness" or is it just the ones that accelerate projectiles?

Old 05-28-2019, 12:26 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

YOu cannot sell on Ebay, but you can sell them on Craisglist, and 100s of other online classified sites, so restricting it on Ebay is mostly just for show imo, people that want to sell guns online know where to post them. I sold some guns on Craigslist a few years back, it was easy and free, the same process if I had been selling a used weedeater!

If you listed and sold firearms on Craigslist, you did so in violation of their terms of service. Excerpted from their list of prohibited items:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslist List of Prohibited Items

Here is a partial list of goods, services, and content prohibited on craigslist:
  • weapons; firearms/guns and components; BB/pellet, stun, and spear guns; etc
  • ammunition, clips, cartridges, reloading materials, gunpowder, fireworks, explosives
The two excerpted items are #1 and #2 on the Craigslist list of prohibited items.

As you point out, there are any number of classified sites for firearms and accessories; however, Craigslist really is not one of them.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:29 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
So how does that explain my wife wanting another one for herself ? I'm pretty sure she isn't trying to prove her "manhood"
Today we see equal numbers of men and women using the ranges at my gun club. The lefties always want to demonize gun owners anyway they can, tying it to masculinity, or insecurity or whatever. They just hate that we have freedom, and that can't trust themselves to use a gun responsibly. Master projectors they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies