Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 11:46 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Many of the same posters on this thread, who are vilifying MLK, support, condone and excuse the vile actions and long history of misogyny and philandering of a living, thrice married man who is actually POTUS. Here in the 21st Century.

I will never understand the ignorant and absolute, blind eyed hero worship of Donald Trump.
I understand what this is about. It isn't openly talked about, but I think some individuals see President Trump as their Great White Hope. Vilifying Dr. King while praising Trump, I get it. Alot of people who hate Dr. King, it has nothing to do with Dr. King himself. It has everything to do with what he represents, what he has done to further civil rights. Some people wish the days of segregation were still with us. They know they won't come back. However, it's no coincidence that the slogan for the Trump campaign was "Make America Great Again". It's vague and can mean anything. At the same time, it's also a dog whistle. Hero worship of Trump has nothing to do with morals and values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 11:57 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Many of the same posters on this thread, who are vilifying MLK, support, condone and excuse the vile actions and long history of misogyny and philandering of a living, thrice married man who is actually POTUS. Here in the 21st Century.

I will never understand the ignorant and absolute, blind eyed hero worship of Donald Trump.
This is where I think the "deplorable" part of Hillary's ill advised comment came from.

I don't know exactly what she meant, but it is "deplorable" to bash MLK when Trump has a similar history regarding the same type of behaviors.

It's even more deplorable to claim that all of the things that MLK allegedly did are gospel truth while dismissing Trump's accusers out of hand.

And what's hilarious is that in spite of all the vilification of MLK, other right wingers want to get on here and rep MLK as being a republican.

But it's possible to do "deplorable" things or take "deplorable" stances without being totally "deplorable" and in a basket.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:25 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
The FBI was involved in a smear campaign for over 10 years. We recently came off a similar 3-year campaign to smear a sitting president with another dossier. They tried to sting Trump into committing offenses so he could be impeached. It's likely that the same occurred with MLK Jr with a confidential human source trying to set him up.

The interesting thing is that there are very few people who treat both dossiers in a similar skeptical fashion. There is a lot of partisanship trying to generate page views or replies.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:48 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The FBI was involved in a smear campaign for over 10 years. We recently came off a similar 3-year campaign to smear a sitting president with another dossier. They tried to sting Trump into committing offenses so he could be impeached. It's likely that the same occurred with MLK Jr with a confidential human source trying to set him up.

The interesting thing is that there are very few people who treat both dossiers in a similar skeptical fashion. There is a lot of partisanship trying to generate page views or replies.
Naw. Trump just goes out and commits offenses on his own without any prompting from others. Puhleeze.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:52 PM

2,828 posts, read 824,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You resurrected a 7+ month old thread for this?

I didn't resurrect any thing, just responded to some one else.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:54 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
We need to stop lifting people into God status. MLK was just a man.

https://www.listenlittleman.com/

Old 02-11-2020, 12:56 PM

2,828 posts, read 824,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, yes this is common knowledge in black America.

Will be blunt and portray my prejudiced views of men of the past, but IMO 98% of men were similar to Dr. King in his era. JFK was similar as well. IMO Thomas Jefferson was a pedophile rapist of the enslaved sister of his wife.

People do all sorts of deviant sexual things. I was recently assigned to read and create a history based on portions of William Byrd II's diary. He was the founder of Richmond, VA. In that diary he mentioned many times that he basically raped black enslaved women. He'd end with "God forgave me" or some BS like that which was both funny and sickening.

Men until very recently have been encouraged to cheat and take advantage of women. This includes black men, many of whom even today idealized what black feminists call "the white patriarch" meaning they want to be like oppressive white men towards women. In regards to Dr. King preferring white women, I know he had a long term white woman as a lover prior to marrying Coretta. White women were a symbol of the perfect woman for black men and all men in this country. They also represented a way that black men could have something that white men only had access too. This is an interesting aspect of history in regards to the desire of black men to be white patriarchs and the symoblization of white women to both white and black men in contrast with black women in American history. But not one that most people on this forum IMO could have a decent discussion about.

But the bold is true. I watched the documentary recently on Malcolm X's murder on Netflix and part of that program centered around the fact that Elijah Muhammad, the leader of the Nation of Islam and who kicked Malcolm out of NOI, had 8 children by 6 teenage girls/women outside of his marriage. Malcolm tried to get people to leave NOI and join him based on Elijah's transgressions, but people made excuses for "the prophet" and indicated they didn't care about those girls/women. All men wanted or got at women in this way both consensual and even victimized them so it is not anything surprising to black people who know a bit about Dr. King. And most of us know more about him than most white people IMO as white Americans typically only know about the March on Washington speech.
And you know this how, that's one hell of a thing to say about one of the founding fathers.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:50 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
I didn't resurrect any thing, just responded to some one else.
Uh, yeah, you did.

Look at the time stamp of the post directly above the one of yours that I quoted - it was more than 7 months ago....

Old 02-11-2020, 02:14 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
And you know this how, that's one hell of a thing to say about one of the founding fathers.
Uhh....cause Sally Hemmings was 14 years old and was the sister of his wife and he had children by her when she was 14.

This is common knowledge as well.

And please note, that I don't have a 100% terrible view of Thomas Jefferson. IMO he is an interesting person and important to the founding of this nation. Point was that all great men have ghosts in their closets and if we want to bring them up, then the great white men in the past will have more of these ghosts than any prominent black American man just because there are more white men considered "great" and their deeds were many in this category (victimizing women/girls).

Old 02-11-2020, 04:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
It looks like the argument here is that MLK and Trump are/were both equally despicable as human beings but they do./did good things for the country, so it is ok.

I can see the righties being ok with that, but it is surprising to see the left making that argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies