Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 09:08 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Only in the West, do many people think it's smart/cool to bash their own culture.
As if Japan is so sin-free. Downplaying Nanjing Massacre, talking around it, and such. Admitting problems and forcing our culture to address them is not disrespecting yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 09:10 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Graydon and Trump seem to have something in common

https://nyppagesix.files.wordpress.c...8&h=410&crop=1
I almost posted a similar picture. They are quite alike in that department.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:24 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
As if Japan is so sin-free. Downplaying Nanjing Massacre, talking around it, and such. Admitting problems and forcing our culture to address them is not disrespecting yourself.
Admitting to problems in one's own culture and addressing them honestly is not bashing. Making "only in America" lists is. It's like saying, "I'm a lot better than those other losers in my country, so please like me". It's cringeworthy. Westerners who live in Japan learn that it isn't the way to gain anyone's respect here.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Admitting to problems in one's own culture and addressing them honestly is not bashing. Making "only in America" lists is. It's like saying, "I'm a lot better than those other losers in my country, so please like me". It's cringeworthy. Westerners who live in Japan learn that it isn't the way to gain anyone's respect here.
Then tell me how Japan owns up to its role in Nanjing - or any of its other atrocities for that matter (Unit 731 and Korea, to name two others).

Beyond this, that list is either facts or very plausible opinions based on observations of behaviors and acts widespread in the culture - specifically election results and Trump's track record before the election.

Calling yourself better than people who willfully set out to hurt, harm, or demean the dignity of others when you rarely, if ever do so (and apologize when you do such a thing) is not being arrogant. In fact, that's much of what makes a person a winner - it goes without saying that socio-economic status or intelligence is irrelevant here.

Addded: Respect from others. If they truly believe what they say, then why should they care about getting respect from others who look down on them for a perceived approval seeking from others? If they talk smack about their own civilization, what makes you think they'd care about what other societies think of them?

It's not a matter of "please like me". That's just your invention. They're actually principled people who call out facts as they see them. I don't ever recall such a list being made against other conservative presidents - not even G. W. Bush. What is cringeworthy is accepting uncritically what the loudest, most boisterous voices in your culture say. That's exactly what Trump and his MAGA disciples are.

Last edited by Phil75230; 05-27-2019 at 11:24 PM..

Old 05-27-2019, 11:12 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Recycling a 2016 opinion piece. Are you running out of material?
I was just going to say the same thing. Still whinging about 2016?

Old 05-27-2019, 11:14 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,863,256 times
Orange man bad

Old 05-27-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Orange man bad
Better than being an ornery Fool-Aid drinking MAGA type.

https://pics.me.me/cult45-fool-aid-3...e-25514761.png

Old 05-27-2019, 11:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
• Only in America could a serial bankrupt pass himself off as a successful businessman.
He is successful. Many successful people have had companies that went bankrupted/failed. I think if I recall correctly, the average successful business owner had six failed businesses before success.

Quote:
• Only in America, a nation built on a history of immigration, could a man who married two immigrants—one of whom is alleged to have worked illegally when she first arrived—run on an anti-immigration platform.
Anti illegal immigration, strange how people conveniently ignore that little fact.

Quote:
• Only in America could a man who kept a volume of Hitler’s speeches by his bedside rule over the second-largest Jewish population in the world.
His beloved daughter is Jewish, son=in-law Jewish, and he recognized Jerusalem as Israel's capital. That is not even remotely close to a person who is anti-Jewish.

And so what about reading material he has, I am sure he has numerous read material in his life.

Quote:
• Only in America could a man who avoided the draft—with a deferment for pesky bone spurs on his feet, which somehow did not hinder him from playing tennis—and who insulted war heroes and their families become the commander in chief of the greatest military power on earth.
Many people avoided the draft, not just him, and I do not blame him or anyone one damn bit. His insults are juvenile and rather disgusting, but fact is he offered for the election something no one else did, and that is why he got elected. So instead of constantly campaigning against the reasons, opponents should try to understand and actually assist in solving these issues. But no, so far the only thing we see is identity politics and "I am not Trump".

And finally, no, not only in America, other countries in the world vote as well for their leaders.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:47 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Then tell me how Japan owns up to its role in Nanjing - or any of its other atrocities for that matter (Unit 731 and Korea, to name two others).
I'd be happy to discuss it... if it was even remotely connected to the topic of this thread.

Last edited by The Dark Enlightenment; 05-28-2019 at 12:49 AM..

Old 05-27-2019, 11:57 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Drug use became more discrete with social media, back then the hard drug users bought from street dealers. Now anyone with a phone can buy hard drugs from a dealer that blends in with normal society instead of with the junkies. That's what's leading to faster urban degradation.
Drug dealing became MUCH less riskier thanks to social media too...I remember 'ordering drugs' from people I didnt even know, that had ads up in Craigslist, FB marketplce, etc, back in the days I was using, looking back it was NUTS.

Its grown alot since Ive got clean though, I can go on social media classifieds today and STILL recognize the dealer ads from the regular ads! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies