Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 08:15 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times

Advertisements

I have no idea what "divide and break" could possibly mean. In fact, I think it is a nonsensical phrase meant to sound like it means something.
Russia want to gain an advantage and become more powerful. And why wouldn't they? Their economy is in the dumps, their population is shrinking and they have to fight to keep the oil/gas market that they have.
They are pretty good at sabre rattling, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 08:17 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
So unusual to see the democrats with the same ideology as Russia complaining about them and cooperating with them at the same time.
Classic case of disfunction in the democrat party leadership and the party supporting them !!!

Old 05-28-2019, 08:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Only thing any of us control is our own reaction.

Seems a heck of a lot of us find it easier to blame and or try to control others, than hold themselves accountable.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:20 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
How about demanding that NBC provide some proof before believing them without thought or question?

Otherwise you just became self evident of your own statement.
I don't watch news on television at all, with an exception for BBC World News on occasion. I gather my news from various sources, both domestic and international, before reaching a conclusion. I don't think there is much of a question that modern politics (at least since the Gingrich era) has been unnecessarily adversarial and divisive, which is indeed problematic.

Your comments attacking NBC are, of course, ironic for two reasons. First, while you are attacking NBC for being a member of the mainstream media here, on another thread you are criticizing posters for attacking the messenger rather than the message. Secondly, you have always refused to divulge the sources of news on which your rely, presumably because you know deep down that they lack credibility.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:23 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I agree with that. So it would seem to make sense that if we were smart enough, and we realize that this is something that Russia is taking advantage of... maybe we need to resolve the problem internally so that we are not exploited externally.

Otherwise, we (as a culture) are like alcoholics. We don't have the self-control to get better, and we keep going to the bar, filling up, and getting into barfights with the same people.
There is resistance to changing the culture internally. One sees it daily on sites like this one. This may be mostly fixed once the older generations that hold racist views and keep us back die off. But, as we see a resurgence of right wing extremism and terrorism by younger Whites, IDK.

The alcoholic is not going to the bar, the alcohol is brought to the alcoholics home via online social media by outside forces and watching trump rally's. Yes.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:25 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
How about demanding that NBC provide some proof before believing them without thought or question?

Otherwise you just became self evident of your own statement.
Are the documents classified ? If so does NBC have the clearance to have them ? That would be news.

Declassifying is the answer !!!

Old 05-28-2019, 08:26 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I have no idea what "divide and break" could possibly mean. In fact, I think it is a nonsensical phrase meant to sound like it means something.
Russia want to gain an advantage and become more powerful. And why wouldn't they? Their economy is in the dumps, their population is shrinking and they have to fight to keep the oil/gas market that they have.
They are pretty good at sabre rattling, nothing more.
You have no idea what it means?

You have never heard the phrase "united we stand, divided we fall"?

You can take "divide and break" at the family level. Families divide and break apart because of unresolved conflict, and you have family members that no longer speak to each other. If it can happen on the family level, it can happen on a national level.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:27 AM

162 posts, read 62,364 times
Yeah I've been saying for a while now that the Russian's have already won. Just in this thread alone you see people who think the news media is the enemy rather than an absolute necessity for the success of democracy.

The real problem isn't the news, it's Americans themselves. Way too emotional and simple minded with zero willingness or ability to comprehend complexity and nuance. This makes them easy targets for anyone (domestic or foreign) looking to manipulate and exploit.

I also love this new trend of insulting the intelligence of others. People with zero education or experience in a topic routinely dismiss experts as stupid (or as Trump likes to say, "low IQ") because they don't like the message or heard something somewhere else they would prefer to believe instead. Kind of like teenagers who think they know everything.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:29 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
There is resistance to changing the culture internally. One sees it daily on sites like this one. This may be mostly fixed once the older generations that hold racist views and keep us back die off. But, as we see a resurgence of right wing extremism and terrorism by younger Whites, IDK.

The alcoholic is not going to the bar, the alcohol is brought to the alcoholics home via online social media by outside forces and watching trump rally's. Yes.
It's extremism from both sides. It's the propaganda media. It's the Russians sowing discord on social media.

It's a toxic soup of unresolved conflict, lies, and a medium that allows it to spread at lightning speed.

Thanks for at least understanding.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:30 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I wrote somewhere (either here or in a blog) that God provided a reset button two years ago for America.

It was Hurricane Harvey. The storm came as racial tensions were heating up from Charlottesville and Boston.

We had a nation come to together and love and help others who were in distress. Race didn't matter. Class didn't matter. Politics didn't matter.

People rescued. People gave money. People prayed. And the tensions disappeared.

We have learned nothing from that experience.
Oh, Lordy, which one of us had the midnight bolt of lightening, you or me?

I totally agree with everything you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies