Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2019, 11:58 AM

48,510 posts, read 34,783,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What percentage of farmers do you believe have much of a reliance on China as a customer?

I'll even give you a clue. Of all our agricultural production, just under 3% is exported to China.

In 2017, U.S. agricultural exports to China reached $23.8 billion, over 17 percent of U.S. total agricultural exports. From 2000 to 2017, U.S. agricultural exports to China increased by 700%. Soybeans are China's No. 1 agricultural import from the U.S., with a 52% market share.

https://www.mda.state.mn.us/sites/de...ofilechina.pdf

It could be 3% now..... Though one could argue that is a problem for farmers.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 12:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,659,547 times
Quote:
What percentage of farmers do you believe have much of a reliance on China as a customer?

I'll even give you a clue. Of all our agricultural production, just under 3% is exported to China.
Does that include all the ag production used here for Chinese companies like the largest pork producer in the world......which they own?

Does that include finished or partially finished products which are the results of ag production?

It's hard to keep up. If a Chinese owned piece of American land grows a crop and sends it to a Chinese owned plant in NC to feed pork and then creates finished meat which is shipped to China, is it an "American" export?

I think this is why Forums don't do economic calculus.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,659,547 times
Quote:

Pedro,

Our entire "beef" with China is about less than 1% of their production which represents perhaps the Amount that Trump (in his folly or not) wants to cut or even-out imports by.

Yet many here are saying that we will hurt China BAD by messing with this 1%.

Are you then saying that a hurting double or triple that size is nothing...nothing???

Old 05-29-2019, 12:24 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
Apple profit could fall 26% if China bans iPhone, Cowen says

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/apple-pr...says-1.1265216

Old 05-29-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Apple profit could fall 26% if China bans iPhone, Cowen says

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/apple-pr...says-1.1265216

I think the more pressing concern of the moment is China is looking at cutting off sales of rare earth products to the US, and we buy 80% of it from them. This will further the impact to our tech and auto sectors.

Thinking China cannot retaliate just because they buy less from us is far from the reality.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:29 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think the more pressing concern of the moment is China is looking at cutting off sales of rare earth products to the US, and we buy 80% of it from them. This will further the impact to our tech and auto sectors.

Thinking China cannot retaliate just because they buy less from us is far from the reality.
I would agree with you. I just posted that to show another concern of Wall Street.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I would agree with you. I just posted that to show another concern of Wall Street.
I don't disagree with what you posted. Interesting that Huawei is going to sue the US, AND they said they do not support an Apple ban in China.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:00 PM

51,642 posts, read 25,774,605 times
The idea that China is going to back down is ludicrous.

Remember, this is the nation that accepted one child per family because they were told that was best for the nation.

Also, Xi's position is rock solid.

Oh, if only there was some collection of nations that was formed to address these trade issues.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 05-29-2019 at 02:02 PM..

Old 05-29-2019, 02:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,664,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Very possible. Brazil is loving this opportunity and selling tons of soybeans to the chinese. Why would they switch back to us when everything is said and done?
Plus, Brazil still has lots of cheap land. Brazil is still clearing a million acres of rainforest a year and converting it to agriculture. The Matto Grosso alone is as large as the whole US midwest. Also, the Midwest is on the verge of a steady decline in agricultural production.

The Oglalla aquifer is already dry in parts of Texas, and much of it will be gone in 8 states within 15 years. The last sip of water won't be gone for 50 years, but the margins are already shrinking. For comparison, by the time the SS trust fund is exhausted, half of the irrigated acreage in the Midwest will be gone.

We could fix that by recharging the aquifer with flood waters, but nobody is interested in the infrastructure. It's one more example of not supporting American industry.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:15 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,664,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

They also tested the nuclear option by selling $10 billion in US dollars. They could wreck the value of the dollar by dumping dollars, and nobody could stop them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies