Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 11:15 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
First sentence, honestly not following what you're trying to say there but it doesn't matter anyway.

As for disgusting, in order for anyone to care we would have to value your opinion and well at least that's humorous to contemplate.
Your making jokes of others misfortune. That's disgusting. Sorry you can't follow that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 11:35 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Your making jokes of others misfortune. That's disgusting. Sorry you can't follow that.
Your first sentence talking about recession was incoherent.

If you deem the loss of $20, due to the stock market taking a dip, a misfortune then that's unfortunate indeed.

But please continue, the squeeling and faux outrage is at least amusing.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:37 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Your first sentence talking about recession was incoherent.

If you deem the loss of $20, due to the stock market taking a dip, a misfortune then that's unfortunate indeed.

But please continue, the squeeling and faux outrage is at least amusing.
Your the one inventing 20 dollar losses. Quite sad really. "Sorry family you lost your home, it was only 20 dollars"

Old 05-29-2019, 11:57 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Your the one inventing 20 dollar losses. Quite sad really. "Sorry family you lost your home, it was only 20 dollars"
Good one! The "I'm rubber and you're glue" rebuttal is a classic.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:09 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Simple answer:tariffs killed the bull market.

I should have voted for Hitlery.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:10 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Thats the thing, all this talk of "lost" in their 401k accounts. Nothing is lost, unless folks are dumb enough to swap index funds and etfs from their current holdings into fixed income or bond funds to "protect" their investments. Sounds like a bunch of market timers who hurt their own returns by selling when things look bad instead of investing for the long term, but hey, what do I know.
So market timers are those with 20 years time frames? 30 years?

I almost never sell. Even the Great Recession didn't make me sell. But even the Great Recession didn't have a SINGLE CLUELESS PERSON sitting making every economic decision.

GWB was one of the worst POTUS's ever But he actually did have other people who working hard with him and then Obama to right the ship.

Now we just have a guy with a big drill putting holes below the waterline and no one else to check him in any way.

That's why I am selling stuff....and, no, not at a loss. Just because he is a loose cannon. Surely you can understand that the risk is greater when you shoot a loose cannon than a finely made rifle.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:12 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So market timers are those with 20 years time frames? 30 years?

I almost never sell. Even the Great Recession didn't make me sell. But even the Great Recession didn't have a SINGLE CLUELESS PERSON sitting making every economic decision.

GWB was one of the worst POTUS's ever But he actually did have other people who working hard with him and then Obama to right the ship.

Now we just have a guy with a big drill putting holes below the waterline and no one else to check him in any way.

That's why I am selling stuff....and, no, not at a loss. Just because he is a loose cannon. Surely you can understand that the risk is greater when you shoot a loose cannon than a finely made rifle.
I don't know why you insist on posing questions to things I didn't say.

Again, good luck with your investments, you sell, I'll continue to buy at regular intervals and during down turns. Time is on my side, as is rational logic.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:57 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I don't know why you insist on posing questions to things I didn't say.

Again, good luck with your investments, you sell, I'll continue to buy at regular intervals and during down turns. Time is on my side, as is rational logic.
Well, I could say Time was on my side from 1985 until today (about since I started investing). But I'm probably older than you, so time is not on my side.

If I were 30 years old I'd have no problem laddering in now and each money...which is exactly what I did.

But this thread is more about the current causes and effects. Not about the wisdom of savings over time.

Even at 4 or 5% you will likely beat the "conservative" who refuse to participate.

I don't need much luck at this point because my investing time frame window (in life) is 80% or 90% over. Markets could sink 30% or 40% and I'd still be way ahead of the game.

But I tend to think about the young people, pensions, companies and everything else NOW as opposed to myself. The world is not comprised of 65 yo business folks like myself. AND, there is no reason why the average hard working American that creates value shouldn't' be able to live a good healthy life at a decent standard.

Where the rubber meets the road...that's what it is all about. Someone is always winning the lottery.....but it's not a good game. Same with the current state of the markets. Things have changes...and, yes, some of it is not due to the current Admin. But the job of a good government is to pivot and make things go as well as possible for as many as possible - not to try and replay the past (MAG "again").

Old 05-29-2019, 01:13 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, I could say Time was on my side from 1985 until today (about since I started investing). But I'm probably older than you, so time is not on my side.

If I were 30 years old I'd have no problem laddering in now and each money...which is exactly what I did.

But this thread is more about the current causes and effects. Not about the wisdom of savings over time.

Even at 4 or 5% you will likely beat the "conservative" who refuse to participate.

I don't need much luck at this point because my investing time frame window (in life) is 80% or 90% over. Markets could sink 30% or 40% and I'd still be way ahead of the game.

But I tend to think about the young people, pensions, companies and everything else NOW as opposed to myself. The world is not comprised of 65 yo business folks like myself. AND, there is no reason why the average hard working American that creates value shouldn't' be able to live a good healthy life at a decent standard.

Where the rubber meets the road...that's what it is all about. Someone is always winning the lottery.....but it's not a good game. Same with the current state of the markets. Things have changes...and, yes, some of it is not due to the current Admin. But the job of a good government is to pivot and make things go as well as possible for as many as possible - not to try and replay the past (MAG "again").
So at 65 it sounds like you had a pretty large % of your funds in equities, which is contrary to generally accepted investing advice. I find this particularly odd for someone who has pointed out time and time again that you KNOW that Republicans crash the markets, and Trump is a horrible businessman and is destroying the market. I mean on the day that Trump got elected as a Republican, why didn't you just sell everything on the spot since you are so sure that Republicans and Trump are bad for the economy?

Overall, this is the thing that financial advisors and market analysts point to on a regular basis as the reason why individual investors don't see as much return as they could, they bail at the worst times. Selling low instead of riding through and not averaging more into the market....or just being out of the market at more advanced ages and focusing on fixed income and less risky assets.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Tariffs.
I agree, but this doesn't mean it is always going to be this way or the overall economy isn't doing well. in't si
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies