Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 01:29 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
By the time a man makes the decision to have it done, it's more painful. Also, parents are responsible for their children's body and well being until they are of legal age.
Trust me, if circumcision didn't have religious roots, most of those opposing it now would be labeling Iceland something similiar to anti-vaxxers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 01:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
I wonder how many posters against circumcision are liberals.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:34 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
My bet is 85% due to its religious roots.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:41 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Some choices are better left up to the INDIVIDUAL.
This individual (me) is glad it was done shortly after birth. I don't remember feeling a thing!

Old 05-31-2019, 01:45 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,454,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I got these charts from the CDC. It seems to me from these numbers, that making any assumption about a person’s background based on whether or not they are circumcised, would be a foolish endeavor.
....in any region.

Those are old. 2019 is a different story.

The big thing here is money. Doctors have been upset that Medicaid has stopped covering them. They're now on a campaign to get them covered. Not covered, and people stopped getting them. Doctors lose money.

I live in a state where about 14% get circumcised now. Most people I know didn't do it unless they did it for religious reasons.

So I do make that assumption but that's just me. Some people will and some people won't. I had a friend who contemplated it like plastic surgery, so her son would look like his father. lol, she also has a boob job so go figure. To each their own when it comes to an adult.

If I have a child one day I will probably leave it up to them as an adult. That way I'm not doing anything for them they regret having. I think that's best.

In regards to saving men from disease, I think that argument would work with any body part, and shouldn't be an excuse for pre-emptive surgical procedure.
Attached Thumbnails
Iceland bans circumcision, faces backlash from Jewish and Muslim groups-s1-chart3-082612.jpg  

Old 05-31-2019, 01:46 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Trust me, if circumcision didn't have religious roots, most of those opposing it now would be labeling Iceland something similiar to anti-vaxxers.
Very good point.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My bet is 85% due to its religious roots.
So they'll support someone who wants to transition from male to female but call the snipping of foreskin mutilation?

Sounds about right.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Probably a lot. I'm an Independent but I'm not religious. It's just not something my crowd does, only Muslims and Jews get it done.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
By the time a man makes the decision to have it done, it's more painful. Also, parents are responsible for their children's body and well being until they are of legal age.
How is it any more painful? I'm sure they numb it, I mean guys get tubal ligation when they're done having kids. It probably only takes 5 mins. At least they're not wearing a diaper full of pee and poop anymore. That has to be more painful, peeing on it like that.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:53 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Those are old. 2019 is a different story.

The big thing here is money. Doctors have been upset that Medicaid has stopped covering them. They're now on a campaign to get them covered. Not covered, and people stopped getting them. Doctors lose money.

I live in a state where about 14% get circumcised now. Most people I know didn't do it unless they did it for religious reasons.

So I do make that assumption but that's just me. Some people will and some people won't. I had a friend who contemplated it like plastic surgery, so her son would look like his father. lol, she also has a boob job so go figure. To each their own when it comes to an adult.

If I have a child one day I will probably leave it up to them as an adult. That way I'm not doing anything for them they regret having. I think that's best.

In regards to saving men from disease, I think that argument would work with any body part, and shouldn't be an excuse for pre-emptive surgical procedure.
it's very interesting that there's so much regional variation.

Quote:
So they'll support someone who wants to transition from male to female but call the snipping of foreskin mutilation?

Sounds about right.
yep, often even if that someone is only 4-5 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies