Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 07:34 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
now this is true hilarity right here, folks. it isn't red billy that is pushing a wedge between Asians and other minority groups by throwing meritocracy out the window and punishing Asians in order to get more non-Asians in their slots, deserving or not.

oh, no. it's the people who bring attention to it that are truly the 'wedge-pushers'

i already answered for myself. your input is neither required nor useful.

"dispelling the myths and why it's detrimental to Asian Americans"

what does that even mean?

On the black - you and diBlasio are doing the same thing

Interesting you ignored the rest of my posts where I said that this is a "thing" white liberals do (i.e. diBlasio) but once they do conservatives (folks like you) jump on their bandwagon and start bashing black and brown people and trying to pit us against Asians (which you did).

On the blue - the "model minority" myth is detrimental to Asian Americans. They are stereotyped in a way that is not based in reality. We've discussed this on the forum before. You should google it since you can't remember why it is detrimental to Asian Americans.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:38 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Weak Warren?

Old 05-30-2019, 07:47 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
The problem is that there is not enough quality STEM schools for the amount of smart applicants. You have Bronx Science, Stuyvesant, Hunter College, and like a couple others for a city of 8.6 million.

De Blasio should address this before anything else.
Chicago Public Schools has the same problem. Too many qualified applicants for too little selective enrollment schools. Which begs the question... WHY not amp up supply to meet demand? Why limit the opportunity to access a public education that lets everyone achieve to the best of their ability? It just makes NO sense at all. WHY can't US public education get their act in gear? It's beyond frustrating. /smh

Old 05-30-2019, 07:50 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,669,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Chicago Public Schools has the same problem. Too many qualified applicants for too little selective enrollment schools. Which begs the question... WHY not amp up supply to meet demand? Why limit the opportunity to access a public education that lets everyone achieve to the best of their ability? It just makes NO sense at all. WHY can't US public education get their act in gear? It's beyond frustrating. /smh
Budget. New Jersey has some of the best public schools but they also have insanely high property taxes to pay for those schools.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:52 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the black - you and diBlasio are doing the same thing
i'm pushing deserving students out of their slots to accommodate the less-accomplished in the name of 'wokeness'? where on earth did you get that idea?
that's the very stupidity i'm calling out, and you know it.

Quote:
Interesting you ignored the rest of my posts where I said that this is a "thing" white liberals do (i.e. diBlasio) but once they do conservatives (folks like you) jump on their bandwagon and start bashing black and brown people and trying to pit us against Asians (which you did).
not responding to something isn't ignoring it. i excluded the parts of your wall-of text that didn't need addressing.

'bashing black and brown people'? copy/paste in your response where i did that.

failure to do so will reveal your lie.

Quote:
On the blue - the "model minority" myth is detrimental to Asian Americans. They are stereotyped in a way that is not based in reality. We've discussed this on the forum before. You should google it since you can't remember why it is detrimental to Asian Americans.
but you already claimed that i did do that - dispelling the 'myth' as you call it. you do know what 'latter' means, don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007
He's doing the latter

Old 05-30-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Budget. New Jersey has some of the best public schools but they also have insanely high property taxes to pay for those schools.
That makes no sense. A selective enrollment school doesn't cost any more than a dumbed-down school. Make more public schools selective enrollment and adjust the curriculum and pace to match the educational needs of the students.

And school spending (budget) has no impact whatsoever on educational achievement outcomes. Many of the school systems that spend the most per student (Camden, NJ, Washington, DC, etc.) are also at the bottom of the barrel in terms of students' academic achievement.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:37 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i'm pushing deserving students out of their slots to accommodate the less-accomplished in the name of 'wokeness'? where on earth did you get that idea?
that's the very stupidity i'm calling out, and you know it.

You are pushing your own "wokeness" from a conservative/prejudicial angle. You are GOP "woke" lol because you see a "liberal conspiracy" in all sorts of media reports same way as other "woke" people get caught up in their racial conspiracy theories.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:38 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,587,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That makes no sense. A selective enrollment school doesn't cost any more than a dumbed-down school. Make more public schools selective enrollment and adjust the curriculum and pace to match the educational needs of the students.

And school spending (budget) has no impact whatsoever on educational achievement outcomes. Many of the school systems that spend the most per student (Camden, NJ, Washington, DC, etc.) are also at the bottom of the barrel in terms of students' academic achievement.
Im in NJ

Take it or leave it but...

The best schools in NJ probably are not all that different from the best of the best in Ohio. Wealthy helicopter parents throwing money and pushing their kids are wealthy helicopter parents throwing money and pushing their kids across America.
The worst of the worst in NJ are not all that different from the bad ones in Ohio.
BUT
The middle 80% or so are better. My kids are in a middling school district and it is head and shoulders above my SIL middling school district (or in any other in my former state) in OH.

Edit: Ive known more than a few who literally plan on moving to a cheap state from NJ the summer their kids graduate HS.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:56 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times
Quote:
You are pushing your own "wokeness" from a conservative/prejudicial angle. You are GOP "woke" lol because you see a "liberal conspiracy" in all sorts of media reports same way as other "woke" people get caught up in their racial conspiracy theories.
i think you need to look up what 'woke' means, right after you investigate 'latter.'

i don't see conspiracy in 'all sorts of media reports' but i do see a crap-ton of bias. there is a difference.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Im in NJ

Take it or leave it but...

The best schools in NJ probably are not all that different from the best of the best in Ohio. Wealthy helicopter parents throwing money and pushing their kids are wealthy helicopter parents throwing money and pushing their kids across America.
The worst of the worst in NJ are not all that different from the bad ones in Ohio.
BUT
The middle 80% or so are better. My kids are in a middling school district and it is head and shoulders above my SIL middling school district (or in any other in my former state) in OH.

Edit: Ive known more than a few who literally plan on moving to a cheap state from NJ the summer their kids graduate HS.
Again, I will reiterate that school spending (budget) has no correlation whatsoever to student achievement. Don't know if you're aware of what happened in Kansas City:

An Educational Experiment Yields Some Astonishing Results - Chicago Tribune

And how Bill Gates got "schooled" on school spending:

Bill Gates Gets 'Schooled' - Bloomberg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies