Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 04:22 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Maybe they post because they recognize how wrong antisemitism is. Is that so hard to understand?
Maybe.

It's one of the options.
But the amount of posting in a political forum...or controversy forum? That's confusing. There are forums here about Religion.

It's also factual that the Right Wing had rallies and chanted "Jews will not replace us" and also signs that I wouldn't even want to quote here.

That's not to say the same people in Charlottesville hang out here - but we find many of the same idea expressed here. "America if a Christian Nation and the Bible should be studied in school", etc.

I am fairly certain that your guess is not accurate for the majority of the people posting and starting those threads...because, as you know, a person who cares so much about ONE person or people would also care the same for ALL people. Yet we often see the same OPs posting that they could care less about this group or that...or even WORSE.

Tell you what. We will agree to disagree if you feel that all or more of the "Jewish" threads are posted because these people care about secular/liberal American jews.

Meanwhile, I will look a little closer at the posting history and future postings and see if the very same people are consistent in their love of their fellow man.

If they are - then you are right and I am wrong.

If they are not.....well, then there is some other reasoning other then their general love of mankind.

I'll be back...as Arnold says!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 04:29 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Maybe.

It's one of the options.
But the amount of posting in a political forum...or controversy forum? That's confusing. There are forums here about Religion.

It's also factual that the Right Wing had rallies and chanted "Jews will not replace us" and also signs that I wouldn't even want to quote here.

That's not to say the same people in Charlottesville hang out here - but we find many of the same idea expressed here. "America if a Christian Nation and the Bible should be studied in school", etc.

I am fairly certain that your guess is not accurate for the majority of the people posting and starting those threads...because, as you know, a person who cares so much about ONE person or people would also care the same for ALL people. Yet we often see the same OPs posting that they could care less about this group or that...or even WORSE.

Tell you what. We will agree to disagree if you feel that all or more of the "Jewish" threads are posted because these people care about secular/liberal American jews.

Meanwhile, I will look a little closer at the posting history and future postings and see if the very same people are consistent in their love of their fellow man.

If they are - then you are right and I am wrong.

If they are not.....well, then there is some other reasoning other then their general love of mankind.

I'll be back...as Arnold says!
I haven't seen that many non-Jews starting threads on anti-Semitism. You know I started one a couple of days ago, and some conservative posters have supported me (liberals have chastised me for the most part, but there were a couple of supportive liberals), but other than that....just where are these "non-Jew antisemitism" threads to which you refer?

There's another way to look at it. Could it be that conservatives (not including the minute fringe group of anti-Semites whom I wouldn't label conservatives at all) actually care more about anti-Semitism, and liberals, given that being pro-Muslim is now "the thing," are reluctant to condemn antisemitism? Just look at how the Democrats watered down that resolution so as to "dilute" their criticism of anti-Semitism.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:50 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I haven't seen that many non-Jews starting threads on anti-Semitism. You know I started one a couple of days ago, and some conservative posters have supported me (liberals have chastised me for the most part, but there were a couple of supportive liberals), but other than that....just where are these "non-Jew antisemitism" threads to which you refer?

There's another way to look at it. Could it be that conservatives (not including the minute fringe group of anti-Semites whom I wouldn't label conservatives at all) actually care more about anti-Semitism, and liberals, given that being pro-Muslim is now "the thing," are reluctant to condemn antisemitism? Just look at how the Democrats watered down that resolution so as to "dilute" their criticism of anti-Semitism.
As one example, one member has many threads he has started accusing Democrats - often in fairly vile language - and LIBERALS also, of anti-semitism. You can look them up if you like. My guess is that he's not Jewish....but who knows?

Anyway, massive numbers of his other OP's are extremely degreding to Muslims, Catholics (brown people) and other groups. I'm not talking "we should reform our immigration policies". I'm talking read low-down stuff he's posting (a Muslim was caught having sex with blah blah)......

He's posting how terrible Liberals are....but very pro-Jewish stuff......

Are you going to suggest that he couldn't find similar "terrible" news stories about Jews to start threads with? He just "happens" to post extremely negative stuff about other religions, skin colors and such....but when it comes to Jews he never looks up that type of story???

Sorry, I may not be as innocent as you. When he posts about liberals, muslims, catholics and others with very strongly offensive slants....and then only "flowers and candy" about Jewish folks, my radar goes off. Note - it's not him personally, this is something I see a lot of on C-D.

If this poster and others love humanity as you suggest, it would be evident in their treatment of liberals, black folks, muslims, etc.......but since (as stated before) "Liberals - Jews" for most purposes it falls flat.

He and others also also often use the "urban people bad" theme, which as you probably know has always referred to Jewish folks.

I'm going to agree to disagree with you. The more I look, the more I find.....a search page might have 10 to 1 strong attacks on "the other", while also then having only one group that gets the praise...and that praise is often used ONLY as a sword against "liberals" who, according to these poster, dislike Jews (like they accuse the D party as a whole of doing)......

Oh, well, no one except Bronx really answered the question IMHO...his response was well thought out, but at the same time doesn't apply due to American Jews not being super pro-israel (that is, they are generally pro-American...America First...and will critique ANY country of movement they feel deserves it).

I'm going to stay with my guesses way back in that post (a couple different possibilities).

Shalom!

Old 05-31-2019, 05:05 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
As one example, one member has many threads he has started accusing Democrats - often in fairly vile language - and LIBERALS also, of anti-semitism. You can look them up if you like. My guess is that he's not Jewish....but who knows?

Anyway, massive numbers of his other OP's are extremely degreding to Muslims, Catholics (brown people) and other groups. I'm not talking "we should reform our immigration policies". I'm talking read low-down stuff he's posting (a Muslim was caught having sex with blah blah)......

He's posting how terrible Liberals are....but very pro-Jewish stuff......

Are you going to suggest that he couldn't find similar "terrible" news stories about Jews to start threads with? He just "happens" to post extremely negative stuff about other religions, skin colors and such....but when it comes to Jews he never looks up that type of story???

Sorry, I may not be as innocent as you. When he posts about liberals, muslims, catholics and others with very strongly offensive slants....and then only "flowers and candy" about Jewish folks, my radar goes off. Note - it's not him personally, this is something I see a lot of on C-D.

If this poster and others love humanity as you suggest, it would be evident in their treatment of liberals, black folks, muslims, etc.......but since (as stated before) "Liberals - Jews" for most purposes it falls flat.

He and others also also often use the "urban people bad" theme, which as you probably know has always referred to Jewish folks.

I'm going to agree to disagree with you. The more I look, the more I find.....a search page might have 10 to 1 strong attacks on "the other", while also then having only one group that gets the praise...and that praise is often used ONLY as a sword against "liberals" who, according to these poster, dislike Jews (like they accuse the D party as a whole of doing)......

Oh, well, no one except Bronx really answered the question IMHO...his response was well thought out, but at the same time doesn't apply due to American Jews not being super pro-israel (that is, they are generally pro-American...America First...and will critique ANY country of movement they feel deserves it).

I'm going to stay with my guesses way back in that post (a couple different possibilities).

Shalom!
Which poster are you talking about? Give him a chance to defend himself.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:27 PM

776 posts, read 393,826 times
1. Jerry Falwell supported Israel because he wanted Jews to give their money to him and opposed abortion because he wanted Catholics to give their money to him.

2. Some support Israel because they see it as an ally of the United States and a balwark against sponsors of terrorism, Islamic theocracy, "anti-Western" countries, etc.

3. An Evangelical group called "Millenialists" think Jeruselum must be inhabited exclusively by Jews in order for Jesus to return.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:55 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Bolded is incorrect. My abortion wouldn't have passed "for the life of the mother" rules in any states that limit abortions, but my rabbi told me it was an imperative in my case. Not having an abortion would threaten my future ability to have children later on when I was physically and financially more prepared for the risks of pregnancy. Many rabbinical scholars extend that to mental health as well.

When I hear conservatives go on and on about their support for Israel or the Jewish people, my uh-oh feeling goes on high alert. There's frequently some kind of false messiah prophecy behind it (i.e. when Jewish people all return to Israel, the Messiah will "return"), in my experience. That's not honest support. While I've seen and experienced antisemitism from both sides, it's not the left who burned a cross on my lawn as a child (in the 1990s), vandalised my childhood home, left threats in our mailbox, spirited me away to church during sleepovers where the parents/pastor/other "grown ups" told me my family was going to burn in hell, and told me they couldn't hire me as a teenager because the hiring manager wanted "good Christian folk." No amount of gaslighting will shift the real cause for concern for Jews in the US.
Quote:
There's frequently some kind of false messiah prophecy behind it (i.e. when Jewish people all return to Israel, the Messiah will "return"), in my experience.
That belief, the one you claim is false ... that was yesterday. Today, (imo) fewer even think about it. Several years back I was reading an article at one of the Israel news papers and at the bottom was a comment. I don't recall the article I read, only the comment that said, what happens when the people in the u.s. no longer revere the Biblical reference to Israel? I believe it goes beyond that and more in line to two countries with big guns. That's on the larger, national security scale ... us, closer to home, in our neighborhoods, sentiments may not all be the same. However, as time moves forward there will be a continual decline in religious faiths ... as of 2015, 23% of the u.s. population were (nones) unaffiliated. Which brings me back to the comment that person left at the end of that article.

Conservatives, yes I do believe they are a whole other group of people and I often wonder what Bible are they reading and I have come to the conclusion they aren't, they just say they do; the rest they just make up as they go along.

I don't know too much about the Jewish religion concerning abortion so I had to look it up ... so as to gauge ...

Good news: Israel’s abortion rate is half of what it was 30 years ago

"While Orthodox Jews in Israel largely oppose abortion, left-wing political parties such as Meretz support abortion on demand, and attempts were made as recently as 2006 to get rid of the termination committees entirely and simply permit abortion as a noncontroversial surgical procedure. Fortunately, this attempt was soundly beaten by a large majority of other lawmakers, although a number of feminist groups in Israel are still pushing to have abortion recognized as a “reproductive right.”"

Also, on a slightly different topic, Israel doesn't have declining birth rates, or an aging population problem. In the u.s. the birth rate per couple is 4 among the Orthodox population. So that made me wonder as to, even if abortion is legal in Israel, do women opt out? Can't see as they would with the rise in poverty and unemployed ... the main reason women in the u.s give to abort.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:24 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes, indeed. That conservative taxpayer money is going to Israel where abortion is legal AND often free.
The conservative taxpayer money is going to the country(s) with the biggest arsenal, which has absolutely nothing to do with abortion, just like this thread.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Lol..thank goodness I left religion far behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies