Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 07:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
So you want to force women into an expensive and dangerous 9 months but wash your hands of any responsibility for their welfare?

As I noted before, it would cost me at a bare minimum $25,000 to go through a pregnancy. That's not an inconvenience - that's a life-changing amount. But you care so much about women and children that you're going to wash your hands of any responsibility for forcing that on a woman who does not want it and is not prepared for it.

Pro-life, my tuches.
Thank you very much. You finally found someone truly being pro-birth not pro-life and not by a gotcha comment. This blows up the argument since it is an expensive venture to have a baby. But no, human life is more important than the money you need but I'm not willing to give you FOAD. And you wonder why I cannot see myself voting Republican ever again.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:49 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That is so profoundly true: "I had a patient about ten years ago who traveled up to New York City from South Carolina for an abortion. I asked her why she went such a long way to get the procedure. Her answer was that she was a member of a church group that didn't believe in abortion and she didn't want anyone to know she was having one. She planned to return to the group when she went back to South Carolina." (Physician, New York) Excerpted from: THE PRO-CHOICE ACTION NETWORK
A poster on here said the same thing. She knew a conservative woman who was against abortion and was blowing up facebook about it, but only problem is...her daughter had one, without her knowing it.
Women of all walks of life and political persuasions have them.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:13 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Well, no. If you are having an abortion, you aren't prolife.

Seems like that would self explanatory.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:47 AM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well isnt it the taxpayer who is wanting to force people to have children they dont want and mostly cant afford when the parents are trying to be responsible by terminating the pregnancy? If you are going to force someone to carry a pregnancy to term and have a child they dont want you have some responsibility for that child.

As far as jut adopt them out let me ask you, have you had children. Experience lost days (income) lost job due to pregnancy and birth and recovery? How about the medical expenses from all that? All that can be a big hit to a woman's (especially single) present and future finances.
Have you ever faced putting a child up for adoption? Do you have any idea how difficult that is, especially if it is because you cant afford a child and/or think it would have better opportunities with a stable higher income family not that you dont really want it or love it? And what about when you are married and have another child or two? How hard do you think that is? Sorry kids we cant keep this one or we will spiral into poverty? Do you know what something like that does to a family?

Your saying I dont want you to abort them but you have to pay the medical expenses, take time off work and risk losing your job even though you clearly cant afford it. And dont expect my minuscule taxes to help pay to feed, clothe or pay childcare expenses. Just adopt it out.
What you suggest isnt feasible if you care at all about the well being of children and families.
No, we are opting for responsible, protected sex if a woman doesn't want to get pregnant. Birth control has a very low failure rate. What part of that aren't you getting? Most unwanted pregnancies are due to carelessness not failure of birth control when use properly. Who's forcing anyone to do anything? Expressing an opinion is forcing? Huh?

My wife and I have had three children whom we both agreed upon having. She used birth control when we didn't want a child at that time and it never failed. She worked up to 8 months all three times. It was not a terrible financial burden. If you're single and don't have another income to support you and no insurance all the more reason to be very cautious when engaging in sex. Stop grasping at straws and putting up silly scenarios when ultimately it is up to her beforehand to decide if she wants to take risks or not. You can't cry about it later when you messed up!

I care about people being responsible and not expect the taxpayer to take care of their unwanted kids. Adopt them out if you don't want them or can't care for them. I have a relative who just went through and unwanted pregnancy because they were careless and they gave the baby up for adoption to a wonderful family. Abortion was never and option to them.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:50 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,550,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, we are opting for responsible, protected sex if a woman doesn't want to get pregnant. Birth control has a very low failure rate. What part of that aren't you getting? Most unwanted pregnancies are due to carelessness not failure of birth control when use properly. Who's forcing anyone to do anything? Expressing an opinion is forcing? Huh?

My wife and I have had three children whom we both agreed upon having. She used birth control when we didn't want a child at that time and it never failed. She worked up to 8 months all three times. It was not a terrible financial burden. If you're single and don't have another income to support you and no insurance all the more reason to be very cautious when engaging in sex. Stop grasping at straws and putting up silly scenarios when ultimately it is up to her beforehand to decide if she wants to take risks or not. You can't cry about it later when you messed up!

I care about people being responsible and not expect the taxpayer to take care of their unwanted kids. Adopt them out if you don't want them or can't care for them. I have a relative who just went through and unwanted pregnancy because they were careless and they gave the baby up for adoption to a wonderful family. Abortion was never and option to them.
All your words do not negate the fact that if the birth control fails that the woman is using, you STILL would force the woman to go thru with the pregnancy. That is FORCING a woman to go thru with a pregnancy because since she was taking birth control, even if it failed, that means she did NOT want to get pregnant. See how that works? You would force a woman regardless & then after that, not give 2 ****es about the kid afterward. Since you are part of the problem, YOU should take responsibility.

I mean honestly, you people are so transparent it's ridiculous.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:55 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

My birth control failed. More than half of women who have abortions were on birth control. Now, they might not all be using it correctly (and lord knows, I had to learn about the pill on my own since the doctor that prescribed it never told me that antibiotics and other meds reduce the effectiveness of the bill). I know women who have gotten pregnant on an implant!

I had insurance - it would still be about $25,000, including 3 months of unpaid time off as covered by FMLA and the costs above and beyond insurance. What a luxury that your wife only had to work until 8 months! Most of us have to work until days before delivery. The US doesn't mandate paid time off for pregnancy and recovery, nor does it mandate paid time off for OBGYN visits. The latter can be particularly challenging for women who live in rural areas where healthcare is sparse and they may need to drive for 2 hours or more to the nearest medical center.

If you are telling me that I must go through with an unwanted pregnancy, then you need to pay for it.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:00 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,231,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there may be a benefit long term of people starting to take responsibility for their actions.

Ill add that line to my next stand-up comedy routine. There will be more children being born, a simple cause and effect. Currently our foster care system is underfunded, we have no formal system outside of the foster care system.

Adoption is amazingly expensive and likely would be less desirable to adoptees because there is no guarantee that the child was not exposed to drugs or mom had prenatal care. So more babies but no plan to address it, sounds like the American way.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:07 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Things will likely go back to the way things were prior to Roe v Wade -- at least in states that make abortion illegal. Many women dropped their unwanted babies off at Catholic Convents, other churches and at hospitals and went on about their lives.

Presently in the USA, there are 2 million couples waiting in line to adopt at the insane average going rate of $30,000 a pop. That tally of 2 million couples doesn't count a huge chunk of people who want to adopt, but can't afford it, so they never try. For every baby that is put up for adoption, there are 36 couples ready and waiting to pay full price to adopt that baby. Meanwhile, there were 638,169 abortions reported to the CDC in the most recent year I can find numbers for, which is 2015. The largest number of abortions ever reported in a single year ever was 1,429,247 in 1990. So even assuming the lowest conceivable numbers of couples waiting to adopt a baby and maximum number of abortions per year, there are far more couples waiting to adopt than there are girls aborting their unborn babies. Do some significant deregulating and stop gouging adoptive parents and things work out just fine.

One consequence might be that women and girls maybe stop and think before screwing some guy who has yet to truly commit himself to her for life. Hook-up culture isn't physiologically healthy anyways. Cheapening sex and cheapening human life haven't led us to good outcomes.

I'm trying to see the downside of a world where abortion is once again illegal.
Where is the consequence, in your scenario, for the man who got the woman pregnant? Because I don't see any.

As usual, the man gets a free pass.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:10 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,619,444 times
Quote:
Things will likely go back to the way things were prior to Roe v Wade -- at least in states that make abortion illegal. Many women dropped their unwanted babies off at Catholic Convents, other churches and at hospitals and went on about their lives.
But many people who want abortion banned would be strongly opposed to that because it would mean the mother is getting away with child abandonment charges.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:11 AM

36,503 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
If your argument is, "Letting go and putting your child up for adoption is hard ... SO KILL THE LITTLE BASTARD!!!" then it's not a very good argument. You're saying, "I loved you too much not to kill you." That's the kind sick and twisted thing we'd expect to hear from a serial rapist killer. You've always had unwanted pregnancies. That isn't anything new. The only thing that changed is that we now have a massive cultural push for killing the babies.

We live in a culture where morals have quite literally been rewritten at an alarming rate. It's not that hard to push for a cultural norm where putting a child up for adoption carries few if any negative stigmas. Personally, I think it's one of the bravest, noblest things you can do. We've managed to normalize the mass-slaughter of unborn babies, so why do you think it's hard to normalize adoption?
Perhaps if you truly believe you are killing a child. Those who would seek abortion realize they are terminating an embryo, fetus, potential child. Im going to assume you have never been pregnant, had a miscarriage or given birth.

As far as cultural push for killing babies you do realize abortion has been going on since recorded history. Not only abortion, infanticide, child abandonment, baby farming, child labor, sex trafficking. So no, morality is not rewritten, people are more moral if anything.

Our adoption system is a mess. Do some research if you want to know why we haven't managed to normalize adoption. My thoughts. Crooked system for one. If not outright criminal at times, just a failed system overall. Its difficult and often takes a long time to adopt. Why do you think so many people go overseas to adopt. Few people want to adopt older kids, non-white kids, kids with medical (mental or physical conditions), drug addicted kids, etc. Children average a 3 year wait to be adopted. There are over 100,000 kids available and waiting for adoptive right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.