Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2019, 06:49 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

That's 14 times greater, UNC.
Oops! Of course you’re correct. It’s 14 times more likely for a woman to die during pregnancy and/or childbirth than due to an abortion. I truly wonder if any anti choicer would be OK with being forced to select a surgery option that had a 14 times greater chance to kill them than the option they wanted to choose.

Yet that’s something they feel perfectly entitled to force on women. It’s confounding.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 06-01-2019 at 07:05 PM..

Old 06-01-2019, 07:05 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Nope. But a lot of proabortion women will be begging proabortion men for sex. And the men will say, no thanks.

You have to remember that pro life men/women, pro life couples? Are happy to welcome babies.

Yet proabortion women want to punish proabortion men. Makes zero sense. And add in the fact that they are continuing to kill off their support base ... by championing and celebrating abortion ... double whammy of 'makes no sense.'
Never once in the history of the world has a man or woman included “So tell me are you pro or anti choice” as part of their foreplay. That question doesn’t get asked until an unintended pregnancy results.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:11 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Unless they were raped, women have 100 percent control whether or not they want to risk pregnancy.
So do the men they are being intimate with.

Again, IT TAKES TWO TO MAKE A BABY.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:53 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Unless they were raped, women have 100 percent control whether or not they want to risk pregnancy.
Men also have 100 percent control over whether they have sex irresponsibly. I think that if we are going to take away a woman's bodily autonomy by forcing her to continue a pregnancy, fairness should compel us to also take away the man's bodily autonomy by forcing a vasectomy, due to his impregnation of a woman who chose not to be pregnant. If the couple are not up to discussing the topic before the act, then they should both take responsibility for preventing pregnancy.

I resent that a bunch of men are telling women what they can do with their bodies, but not even acknowledging that they are equally responsible for the situation. I have not read the bills from the states that have passed these draconian laws, but I have not heard that any of the bills have included punishing or holding responsible the male side of the equation.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:52 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
https://www.guttmacher.org/about

89 % occur within the 1st trimester.

https://www.cdc.gov/reproductiveheal...s/abortion.htm

91 % under 13 weeks and 7 % under 20 weeks. ONLY 1.3 % of abortions are done over 21 weeks. We're talking low percentage. Hyperbole more than anything for later term abortions.

Viability is usually defined over 20-28 weeks,w/ lots of variability and controversy. But, having said that, ONLY 1.3 % abortions are done over 21 weeks.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 06-02-2019 at 09:01 AM..

Old 06-02-2019, 09:05 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Would I personally have a second trimester abortion? Only if my life was in danger or if it was likely that the fetus would die before term or the baby would die at/shortly after delivery.

Do I want to stop other women from consulting with their doctors and making their own medical decisions? Of course not. It's not up to ME to decide what some other person should do; that's a decision that is between a woman and her doctor. Period.
I feel the same. Let the states stay out of it. It's a medical procedure. It does offend some due to their religious or moral ethical stand, which I get, but when all is said and done, it's not anyone's business.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:20 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I’m not really interested in a “Science” lesson by the dude saying that all lives are pre-determined by a mythical man in the sky.
Cute how you managed to slither in a bigoted dark message, when we are talking about lives of babies. Abortion and faith are so intertwined as neither can be separated. Maybe you should read the science before you condemn something you don't understand.

Let me repeat... 99% of scientists say human life begins at conception. Again if the science is wrong then state your case. If I am wrong because you say so, well then... only arguing is left.

To put the science of life into a binary logical context for liberals, 98% of scientists believe in climate change.... what liberal doesn't accept that? and again, 99% of scientists believe life begins at conception. So... Is the message false because of who delivers it? or who chooses ignorance over knowledge?

Old 06-02-2019, 10:45 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
What is the root issue? I submit science has answered that. 99% of scientists affirm, life begins at conception. If you refuse to accept the science, then no "discussion'' is possible, only arguments remain. Abortion is ending a life, no getting around the cold hard truth.
Pregnancy is like hand grenades.... the choice is before you pull the pin. After that, you realize it's gonna do what hand grenades do, so all you have left is, dealing with the consequences.

I struggle at times to understand why do liberals believe they are the champions of every "victim" group until it comes to the unborn?

Blacks? Check
Women? Check
Hispanics? Check
Students? Check
Unemployed? Check
Immigrants? Check
Gays? Check
Transgender? Check
Infirm? Check
Elderly? Check
Poor? Check
Drug users? Check
Muslims? Check
Criminals? Check
Unborn baby? Hell no, we reserve the right to kill that thing right up to the point it is in a bassinet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So you support a 100% ban on any abortion ever then?

And since all life is precious you must also support easy and affordable access to healthcare for women and children before, during and after pregnancy.

Oh, and clearly you must support comprehensive sex education including education on birth control other than abstinence only.. Don't forget making that birth control easily available and encouraged not shamed.
Still awaiting confirmation you support comprehensive sex education and free birth control availability in order to prevent unwanted pregnancy to begin with.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:52 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Based upon emotion and I can understand his feelings because of what he had endured in the death of his own child. He is thinking of his own personal feelings.

But I still think a woman's life, livelihood, and dignity should come first before forcing her to give birth. I support abortion up to three months. But I support it later on in cases of rape, incest, or if the child has something seriously wrong and will probably die anyway, or if it threatens the life of the mother.

I also strongly support sex education in schools and methods of birth control. A lot of women and fetuses are going to die if abortions are denied to them--the woman will try to abort anyway. That's a lot worse and more dangerous than allowing a doctor to do it. The woman has feelings too.
How about this instead? Women should use birth control or make sure their partner is before engaging in sex. Most birth control methods have a low failure rate if used properly. I'm kind of on the fence with rape and incest. If the mother is suffering emotionally and mentally after an event like that then perhaps early on she should be entitled to an abortion. I also feel the same way if physically her life is in danger under all circumstances. I also agree that if the child has something seriously wrong with it and will die anyway then an abortion is acceptable. However, with most abortions is it merely done because the woman doesn't want to be inconvienced and she acted in an irresponsible way. That to me is not a adequate reason to get an abortion. Also you mentioned abortion up to three months. Are you not aware that a fetus has a heart beat by 6 weeks?

Old 06-02-2019, 10:56 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How about this instead? Women should use birth control or make sure their partner is before engaging in sex. Most birth control methods have a low failure rate if used properly. I'm kind of on the fence with rape and incest. If the mother is suffering emotionally and mentally after an event like that then perhaps early on she should be entitled to an abortion. I also feel the same way if physically her life is in danger under all circumstances. I also agree that if the child has something seriously wrong with it and will die anyway then an abortion is acceptable. However, with most abortions is it merely done because the woman doesn't want to be inconvienced and she acted in an irresponsible way. That to me is not a adequate reason to get an abortion. Also you mentioned abortion up to three months. Are you not aware that a fetus has a heart beat by 6 weeks?
2 forms of birth control failed me. Half of women who have abortions were using birth control.

The "heart beat" at 6 weeks (which is before I would have even missed a period, by the way) is not a heartbeat as we know it, but membranes moving in a rhythmic fashion. My abortion at 8 weeks looked like an average period, not like a fetus.

You call pregnancy an "inconvenience." That shows how much you value women and mothers - not much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies