Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 06:15 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The video didn't give any info regarding why the man was pulled over. I'd like to know.

I understand that police officers have a dangerous job to do. But when the man made it clear that his hands were going to remain in the air, it was stupid for the officer to keep badgering him to shut off the ignition. The officer should have opened the car door, let the man out (hands still safely in the air), and the officer could have then shut off the ignition, and dealt with whatever offense they pulled the man over for.

As always, there may be more to the story that the video didnt show, but what we saw looked crazy wrong.
It doesn't appear he had done anything wrong. Just a police officer looking for trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 06:18 AM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Amazing foresight on the young man. Usually I am sick and tired of filming anything for social media, but it was a brilliant stroke of genius to start filming. This is because without the footage, people would have automatically sided with the cop. People will still side with the cop every time regardless, but at least it gives weight to what he experienced. It's interesting that the cop supposedly had on body cam footage, but as we've seen, at times this footage seems to mysteriously disappear, or was somehow not turned on at the moment.

There have been multiple incidents where individuals have complied with police, put their hands up in the air, and were still shot. Just the irony of refusing a police order to save your skin.

Black man says not complying with officer’s demands saved his life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=099A8-6bKVg

Old 06-01-2019, 06:41 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m just astonished that this cop was gonna blast him if he actually followed his order to shut off the car. Is this guy a nut or what??

That’s one scary ass video.
I just watched it again. The cop yells out 'gun!' and the man says 'where?' It's at that point he puts his hands in the air. This sicko was leading him on to give him cause to shoot him. Yeah, he's nuts and should be nowhere near a damn gun, let alone be a cop.

He was driving off, just as he said he was doing, which is why his car wasn't in park. According to the article, the cops were asking people to leave, and he was

He really had his wits about him to both record and not comply, so when the cops release a statement saying he was high, we'll know that's b.s.

This could have been Philando Castile 2.0 and we never would have even seen that video.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:03 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,111,637 times
I want to offer kudos to the OP, for Not using the wapo headline. Myself, I am sick of the identity politics and am triggered before I even read/see an article.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:15 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,054,848 times
Agree. That cop has issues. No doubt.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:16 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Cop needs to go in this case. He gave conflicting orders. His ego was bruised for being made to look incompetent for giving conflicting orders, and then he roughed the guy up at the end, purely ego driven. Started incompetent, ended with unnecessary violence.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:18 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
It does look like that cop was all worked up and ready to go but why would a cop want to shoot anyone? A shooting even justifiable usually means the end of ones career and if not justified it is potentially a murder charge.

I wonder if the cop and the young guy had a history? I wonder if the guy was known to police as a trouble maker, a drug dealer? Why did he have a gun in the trunk?

Regardless the cop needs to be put on leave and this incident investigated.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:52 AM

2,828 posts, read 823,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Here we go again.

An officer hyped up on too much adrenaline (or worse) pulls a man over and the guy immediately puts his hands up so as to make himself non threatening.

What does the crazed cop do? Start yelling for the guy to turn off the car. Luckily, the driver knows better and keeps his hands up...to which the cop yells “he’s got a gun!” SMH...unreal.

Basically, the cop was gonna have him move his hands towards his ignition so that he could shoot him. The accompanying video in the link is chilling. The driver was smart and refused to shut the car off and move his hands.

The driver did have a gun as it turns out, but it was in the trunk.

That’s the gun the cops would’ve found and put on him after they shot him by the way.

This vid is simply astonishing. Comply or die, right?

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/nati...outputType=amp
Yep, here we go again, we only saw part of the video, would like to know what happened prior to the video starting. The black guy did something to get the cops attention, but again we are deeming the cop completely wrong when we don't know the whole story. Some times I wonder if these types of situations are staged to make cops look bad.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:54 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Yep, here we go again, we only saw part of the video, would like to know what happened prior to the video starting. The black guy did something to get the cops attention, but again we are deeming the cop completely wrong when we don't know the whole story. Some times I wonder if these types of situations are staged to make cops look bad.
Wake up. The part of the video we DID see had the cop 1) lying about the man having a gun, 2) telling him to drive off and 3) telling him to put his hands inside the car.

If that isn't a set up, I don't know what is.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It was a rifle..in the trunk. No permit needed.
According to others MSM, it was registered.

The gas station called the Police because he was loitering, around midnight. Gas stations are common targets for robbery, especially on overnight shifts.

He says he was waiting for people. Neither the gas station or the officers knew this.

Guy did not think to turn off his car, when blocked by the Police.

Police officer had no idea what he was walking into.

Under the circumstances, his reaction, keeping his hands visible, may have saved his life.

Would the officer have reacted the same way if, say, the driver was me? Who knows?

Officer put on leave, pending investigation.

Guy has been charged with loitering and failure to follow orders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies