Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 05:06 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Which abnormal behavior?
Winning the election over the strong objections of his opponents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 05:08 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
You know, I agree. Everyone looks polished and pretty and it is somehow comforting and fun to see the ceremony and protocol at affairs such as this. These events must take a lot of work and planning for the guests of honor and the hosts. Mrs. Trump has looked lovely all day as well. It must be exhausting and nerve wracking all bound up with exhilaration. CNN did a nice piece today about her and our former first ladies and the effort it takes to prepare for these trips and appearances and state introductions and banquets etc.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp
As a man, i look at the pomp and circumstance a huge bore and would never go for it if I were President. Wife prolly would go for it though.

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 06-03-2019 at 05:17 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 05:13 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
You know, I agree. Everyone looks polished and pretty and it is somehow comforting and fun to see the ceremony and protocol at affairs such as this. These events must take a lot of work and planning for the guests of honor and the hosts. Mrs. Trump has looked lovely all day as well. It must be exhausting and nerve wracking all bound up with exhilaration. CNN did a nice piece today about her and our former first ladies and the effort it takes to prepare for these trips and appearances and state introductions and banquets etc.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp
Both the Queen and the President gave wonderful speeches. I actually wept listening to them exhaust our unique Anglo relationship.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:24 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
So far the visit seems to be going amicably.

Does anyone know what the brooch is the Queen is wearing or where it came from? Have been told that she sometimes sends clues as to her actual opinion with her brooches and jewels.
For example, she might wear a brooch that makes a political statement of some sort that as monarch she refrains from doing. Like a brooch that says "Go Brexit" or "No Brexit".

But I don't know the piece of jewelry well enough to guess. Just wondered if one of our cousins across the pond could say.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:20 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
There does seem to be parallels between Trump and Brexit, at least as I understand Brexit. Trump is just a symptom of America's annoyance with the politicians and he was a reset button of sorts, whether right or wrong.

He was seen as an outsider and I think people thought he'd change things up.
Yes, they are both moves toward the right. However, BREXIT would probably be considered middle of the road compared to the policies Trump stands for. And in this country, BOTH parties are fed up with politicians--there was no one to vote for in 2016 and it may be the same way in 2020. We seem to have no answer--going backwards to the 1950s doesn't really get rid of the greedy, corrupt politicians either.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:39 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I have homes in the US and the UK and spend a fair bit of time each year in both.
I like to think I have a small understanding of both places.
What they both have in common at the moment is large numbers of citizens who feel their governments don't understand them and don't represent them.
Trump and Brexit are these people pushing back and it's magnificent to watch
Democracy in its purest form.
Joe Six-pack exercising the one legal right he has to give politicians a good kicking.
I don't know. An American "Joe Six-pack" is very different from his British counterpart -- namely a strong opposition to universal healthcare and other family-friendly policies that the Brit takes for granted. So any similarities between the grassroots sentiment of Trumpism vs that of Brexit are pretty superficial, imo.

There are profound differences in values between American conservatives and British conservatives. But we've talked about all of this before.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:57 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Trump visits merrie olde England

Oh swell, he gets to embarrass the USA once again on the world stage in a place where ha can not intimidate the press. Everything he does or says will be recorded for posterity, and he will not be able to shut them down ...
Can't you, for once, be respectful? He is our President, like it or not. You whining liberals need to get used to the idea, instead of growing wrinkles.
The real story is: The pomp and circumstance was evident throughout the day. I was so proud of President Trump and First Lady, as they both displayed class and grace. I watched the whole video of the dinner, the Queen, our President, and their speeches. Couldn't be prouder!

Old 06-03-2019, 07:09 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Can't you, for once, be respectful? He is our President, like it or not. You whining liberals need to get used to the idea, instead of growing wrinkles.
The real story is: The pomp and circumstance was evident throughout the day. I was so proud of President Trump and First Lady, as they both displayed class and grace. I watched the whole video of the dinner, the Queen, our President, and their speeches. Couldn't be prouder!
The pomp and circumstance is a British tradition. It has nothing to do with Trump.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:58 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Which abnormal behavior?
Calling the mayor of London a Stone cold loser before he even landed for his meeting either the queen, insults to Theresa May. I really have nothing to compare. Do You want British leaders weighing in on American issues.

Last edited by Goodnight; 06-03-2019 at 09:08 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 09:05 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
I wonder if the Brits will arrange it so that he gets an eyeful of the protests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies