Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 07:13 AM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times

Advertisements

Does not matter to me in the least. I have never been one to be jealous or envious of others and I am doing just fine, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 07:18 AM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
We should all be jealous of other people’s money. That makes us stronger together. One day we will band together and take what should be ours even we never earned it from those who actually earned.

I think the federal government does that now, it started with the great society in the 1960's. Welfare expenditures are over $400b a year.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:19 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Again.....this thread was about hard-working, disciplined people who end up in the top 10% in networth. But right on cue, liberals jump to demonize billionaires. Anything to deflect from the fact that just about any average person who makes the right choices and exercises discipline can end up in the top 10%.
The OP asked “does it matter...”

I answered why I think it does.

Not sure what thread topic the above response is meant to address but it isn’t what the OP asked.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:22 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The top 10% does comprise some middle class towards the lower end but the top half of that 10% (top 5%) are far from average, they are billionaires.
I think probably 0.1% have more than $30 million. There are only 500 billionaires in US, so that's only 0.00001%

Old 06-03-2019, 07:24 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times
Quote:
That is certainly not true at all, middle class wages are not keeping up with cost of living, home prices, rent. Millennials and others do not fare as well as baby boomers.
Strictly anecdotal but I grew up in a middle upper middle class family 50-60 years ago.
1) My aunt and uncle lived with us to help financially.
2) No air conditioning (I lived in a suburb of LA)
3) We rarely ate out. Try waiting in line at Taco Bell after work today.
4) We used cleaned out jam jars as cups.
5) Washed dished by hand until I was about 10. Hung the clothes out on lines
6) As kids we had no where near as many toys as my kids ( and grandkids) or their friends have. (Certainly no expensive electronics)
7) Just based upon my own experiences I find it hard to believe the average person is not better off today.

And this is addressing the current state of medicine and availability to medicine or educational opportunities compared to 50 years ago.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:27 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times
Quote:
The top 10% does comprise some middle class towards the lower end but the top half of that 10% (top 5%) are far from average, they are billionaires.
I think you need to check out your statistics.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:30 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Psh, everyone knows the top 5% are all billionaires! How else do you explain how Apple sells so many $1,000+ iPhones?! :P

Old 06-03-2019, 07:43 AM

19,621 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Strictly anecdotal but I grew up in a middle upper middle class family 50-60 years ago.
1) My aunt and uncle lived with us to help financially.
2) No air conditioning (I lived in a suburb of LA)
3) We rarely ate out. Try waiting in line at Taco Bell after work today.
4) We used cleaned out jam jars as cups.
5) Washed dished by hand until I was about 10. Hung the clothes out on lines
6) As kids we had no where near as many toys as my kids or their friends have. (Certainly no expensive electronics)
7) Just based upon my own experiences I find it hard to believe the average person is not better off today.

And this is addressing the current state of medicine and availability to medicine or educational opportunities compared to 50 years ago.
So what to all of the above? Was it some kind of hardship, and if so, you were not middle class and certainly not upper middle class. I still hang clothes out to save energy and because I like the sheets that way. Seldom use A/C, it is quite bad for the environment, same with hot dishwasher. Also vegetable gardening and nutritious home cooking using vintage cookware seasoned naturally, not pans with poison coatings for sake of modern convenience. Poor me? I am actually trying to replicate that older style way of life because I know it is healthier and superior in many ways. Modern medicine I will take, up to a certain point.

Some young people today will never even own a home or a car. Is it better they are lifetime renters in a tiny apartment just because they have A/C and electronic gadgets? Taco Bell is better than home cooking?

Old 06-03-2019, 07:46 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Wealth inequity is as old as history. Not something new, recent. Not something tied to any particular political system, now or way back then.
Is this a way to defend the current situation? History shows that it is now the highest in more than 100 years and history also shows that high inequality leads to a lot of instability and social problems.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:57 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Is this a way to defend the current situation? History shows that it is now the highest in more than 100 years and history also shows that high inequality leads to a lot of instability and social problems.
I’ve never liked that as an argument against inequality. I just have this image of a classroom where a couple kids are doing better than the rest, and the teacher says to them “well, the other kids are getting jealous and causing problems, so we have to lower your grades.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies