Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 05:22 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The majority of millionaires came from lower-middle class families. Sorry to burst your bubble.

You didn't burst a bubble. There are many millionaires that are self made but there are also many at the very top of the bracket that just got there with the help of their parents. Still unhealthy to have this much wealth in the hands of a small percentage, the fact that some of that 10% make it on their own doesn't change that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 05:27 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You didn't burst a bubble. There are many millionaires that are self made but there are also many at the very top of the bracket that just got there with the help of their parents. Still unhealth to have this much wealth in the hands of a small percentage, the fact that some of that 10% make it on their own doesn't change that fact.
So what? If you have children, you won’t help them to live a better life than you? Isn’t that the whole point of having children?

Old 06-03-2019, 05:35 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,149 times
I already mentioned that the bottom 50% owns 1% of the wealth, it's in the report the article is referring to. Why is nobody talking about this? Because the article does not mention it? People want to discuss only what the news want them discussing. So predictable how the propaganda of success work; argue about anything but the fact that most people are getting screwed.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:42 PM

4,511 posts, read 1,864,826 times
Can we all at least agree that Liberals hate success??

Old 06-03-2019, 05:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Can we all at least agree that Liberals hate success??
Sure, that's obvious by Buffet, Zuckerberg, Bezos, Jobs and Woz and all those other billionaires...they absolutely hate success!

Old 06-03-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
I already mentioned that the bottom 50% owns 1% of the wealth, it's in the report the article is referring to. Why is nobody talking about this? Because the article does not mention it? People want to discuss only what the news want them discussing. So predictable how the propaganda of success work; argue about anything but the fact that most people are getting screwed.
So what? They also pay 0% taxes and rake in almost all of the benefits.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:56 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Thatcher exposes Liberalism
You mean this Thatcher????

https://secure.i.telegraph.co.uk/mul...E_2439079c.jpg
or this one
https://www.dw.com/image/19347376_303.jpg

Old 06-03-2019, 06:00 PM

1,199 posts, read 639,079 times
Quote:
That is a personal, nasty insult simply because I do not agree with your liberal position. Personal attacks are unwarranted, and against the rules, and so is your judgement about my reading comprehension, and, by extension, my intelligence. Sorry, but my intelligence DIRECTLY contributed to my success in life. Shame on you!

As far as emotion, that is ENTIRELY what drives liberals. All feeling, no logic.
You blithely ignored multiple posts where "liberals" very clearly and directly stated that some people in the top decile deserve credit for their success, and some don't. You also ignored "liberal" posts acknowledging that people from the lower socioeconomic classes can take steps to improve their financial circumstances, and the current welfare state is problematic.

Instead of acknowledging those concessions, you post drivel like this:

Quote:
Liberals can't credit successful people (the top 10%) with positive attributes that led to that success because they then would have to acknowledge that maybe some people had negative attributes that led to their failure to reach that level.
You deserve to be called out for this nonsense.

That said, I'm glad you've been successful in life. It proves that anyone can make it.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:03 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You didn't burst a bubble. There are many millionaires that are self made but there are also many at the very top of the bracket that just got there with the help of their parents. Still unhealthy to have this much wealth in the hands of a small percentage, the fact that some of that 10% make it on their own doesn't change that fact.
Unhealthy for who?
I can't say that it bothers me at all. I have never dwelled on what others have v.s me. Dwelling on what others have instead of focusing on what you can control is what I would call unhealthy.

I have done all right for my self and I doubt those with more than I do are the cause of me not doing better or having more. Now I can absolutely identify mistakes that I myself have made that resulted in or impacted my bottom line. All 3 of my children had their paths greased a little by their parents. If I had more I would have done more. I refuse to condemn the rich for doing what I would have done. Nor will I ever believe in penalizing success by hitting survivors with any form of inheritance tax. The taxes have been paid on that wealth many times over.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
You blithely ignored multiple posts where "liberals" very clearly and directly stated that some people in the top decile deserve credit for their success, and some don't. You also ignored "liberal" posts acknowledging that people from the lower socioeconomic classes can take steps to improve their financial circumstances, and the current welfare state is problematic.

Instead of acknowledging those concessions, you post drivel like this:

You deserve to be called out for this nonsense.

That said, I'm glad you've been successful in life. It proves that anyone can make it.
Unless you can show they obtained their wealth through illegal means, why don’t they deserve their wealth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies