Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 05:28 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Someone has to buy a new vehicle, or the car companies will go out of business, then there will only be used cars and by 2050 we become Cuba, where we're trying to jerry rig ancient cars with elbow grease and chicken wire
I got a little scared when trying to find a part for my treasured 1985 Toyota Supra, when 3 mechanics told me they couldn't find the part for it. I took it to Priority Auto here in Tucson and they found the part in one day, a Rack for my Power Steering and music to my ears: Relax! We can always find parts for older cars, and we'll keep your Supra on the road for the next 20 years!

I could pay cash for a new medium-sized car but I hate, detest, abhor newer cars! Just the screechy seat belt alarm alone keeps me from buying one. My Supra doesn't have that Nanny device on it! Or all that other unnecessary gadgetry!

It Is for sale though: $499,950!

After the gas prices went down I knew it was just a matter of time the idiots would be out there buying those expensive SUV's and I'm sure many got their loans with sterling credit scores!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 05:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Last car I bought was a 2006 Lacrosse with 114K on it for $4200. The big selling point on this car at least for me was very little rust on the undercarriage which is pretty rare in my neck of the woods, you can't fix rust. Shortly after purchasing it had some major engine problems so it would of been a big deal for most people. I was able to get new engine for $250 with 47K on it. Everything else on it was mostly OEM.

When I had the engine out I replaced nearly everything else since it was so easy to do. Completely new suspension all the way around, brakes, rotors, etc. Might of put $1500 into it but I'm driving a car that is nearly new mechanically. I wouldn't be able to sell it for what it's worth to me. I'll be keeping it for many more years and I'll probably be selling it for a few thousand.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
These cute anecdotes by some that have older cars still doesn't address the obvious issue that the auto loan debt has grown under Trump's economy.

Wonder why?

Old 06-03-2019, 05:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
These cute anecdotes by some that have older cars still doesn't address the obvious issue that the auto loan debt has grown under Trump's economy.

Wonder why?

Because people have more money in their pocket to buy cars?

Old 06-03-2019, 06:04 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Default More mortgages are current today than at any time during the Obama years!

Quote:

Wonder why?

Probably has more to do with the longer life expectancy of vehicles produced in the last decade and the way used vehicles are now being marketed.

More mortgages are current today than at any time during the Obama years!

Suck it up OP!

That's a giant thread fail!!!

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DRSFRMACBS

Old 06-03-2019, 06:08 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Poor judgement.

Idiots who tie their self-worth to the car they drive.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:10 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No one was forced to buy a home they could not afford.

No one is forced to buy a car they can’t afford.

Unlike a home, the auto depreciates the moment it is driven off the lot.
I have said that before regarding houses...

But every bleeding heart wanted to blame bush and blame "predatory lenders".

Here's the thing.

A president can have some influence over public spending and the economy, however, it all comes down to each and every individual and how they budget/plan, and how they view money.

This isn't a direct cause and effect. For example, I can't say, Obama caused the economy to tank so badly that I was laid off from a place I worked for, for 4 and a half years. Around November 2014 the place I worked at, literally slowed to a halt.

Sales dept was not moving many vehicles.
From around Mid August that year onward, me, a grease monkey, the work flow started to slow... I worked on trucks and trucks only. F250s-F750s.
People did not have the money to go and buy new vehicles. Many kept what they had and repaired them. So the service department was booming. Sales... one after another sales staff started to leave on their own. They were paid comission only, not on a draw where they're guaranteed a paycheck regardless, but wind up paying back the dealer when they make sales.

Usually by october, the truck shop was flooded with guys who needed their trucks in tip top shape for winter plowing and such. Not so much. Landscaper companies did double duty. Come winter months they'd plow. Spring-fall, do clean ups, groom, etc.

2 of the bigger landscaping companies had let guys go because the demand wasn't there. Also sold off trucks and equipment or took trucks off of the road.

My boss and the owner of the place approached me with tears welling up and said for my own good, find somewhere else to work... they had no guarantee I'd even have a place to work at come Christmas time.

3 weeks in a row, not a single vehicle came in for service. Not even for the car shop.

So no I can't blame Obama but I can blame a doldrum economy. It's okay where I relocated to was slammed with work.
Then I moved to Florida a couple years later...

I don't work for dealerships anymore. Reasons are plentiful. The main one, not many have the money to repair and maintain their vehicles... but they sure do have money for lift kits, mud tires, blasting stereos that make rock concerts seem weak, and enough LED lights to make a fire truck envious. Couple that with no state inspections, there's no incentive to maintaining and keeping vehicles in tip top shape. Not complaining though, there wasn't nearly the volume of trucks to work on down here than there was up in upstate NY/northern version of Tennessee/Georgia...
Cars? If that were my thing I'd have work flowing out of my ears.
Especially mustangs.

Folks don't think interest and principal be like they are, but they do.
There were many a financial institutions that worked with various car dealers to approve anyone for a loan. My ex, prime example. She was bad with money at first...

Her credit was shot.
She had stifling student loan debt plus massive credit card debt.

The car she had at the time when we first started dating was 2 years old. She had purchased it used. Payments were low. But so was the amount going to the principal of the loan. I sat down the 2 and a half year mark with her and we talked money.
I did the calculations on her car loan.
She merely was paying interest. Maybe each month, she chipped 50 dollars off the principal of the loan. Her warranty was up due to mileage. I was working on it to save her money... Who's in the wrong here? The lender? Or her? I said then and I will say now, her.

1. She bought a used car that more than likely was a lease turn in, that had for the year, high mileage.
2. She did not shop around. She just HAD to have that particular car.
3. She did not ask anyone for an opinion or advice.
4. She did not read the fine print and call BS on tricks dealerships use to tag more money onto the loan.
5. She literally dove head first into the unknown solely because the finance manager showed her what her monthly payments were and never asked what would be going to the balance of the loan vs interest.

Came to be she was paying 18% interest on 22k dollars. Cost of car, what the dealer bundled in, and sales tax.

"But I was approved! Why would they do that to me!?"
Because they don't care about you. They care about making a sale. They care about money. Not your well being. You brought it upon yourself...

Then when her settlement check came in from an accident, she wound up paying her college loan off and the car? No don't pay that off...
She traded in for a new cherokee...
Went upside down on the trade which I knew would happen...
But the payments are the same though!

Yawn.
You'll be paying that off for the next 10 years...

But you have a brand new truck!
Yeah. I also put money down on it. I also had a truck to trade in on. A truck with no balance owed on it. I can afford it. I'll have it paid for in 2 or 3 years time. I'll take the 60 month loan but it'll be paid for in full in 24-36. You? You have an 84 month term loan... for 200 per month. On 52k because they rolled your debt over to the new jeep.

that's not fair! Why would they do that to me?!
Because you're dumb and never asked me for advice... not that you'd listen anyways. You're too much like your mother...

It's simple really... folks get sucked into loans... and wind up literally paying for it. All because of that low monthly payment. They never look at the long term. Just gotta have it right here right now. To hell with 5 minutes 5 hours 5 days 5 weeks 5 months 5 years from now.... I gotta have it right now.

Presidents? Nah. Economy. Plays a role. Predatory lenders? No. Stupidity/ignorance? Yup. Absolutely.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:11 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:

Wonder why?
Enraged liberals trying to feel better by buying cars they can't afford?

My guess is that too many young people are buying cars they can't afford as a result of social media.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:12 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,944,421 times
Quote:

Wonder why?
Blame Obama and California... they were warned that Cash for Clunkers would have these consequences.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:40 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Cars are the single stupidest waste of money in anyone's lifetime. Sure, you need reliable transport to work. That doesn't have to cost $40k plus an ROI of negative 20% literally within the first month. I've never bought a new car in my life. I've never bought a brand more luxurious than a Ford, honda or a Mazda. I've never ever even desired to drive something like a bmw or Mercedes and have to pay $800 per mo for it. We could easily afford that. But I don't believe in throwing cash into a furnace.
Once again, someone has to buy new cars, or the car companies go out of business, and the remaining supply of used cars will end up like Cuba in 30 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies