Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 08:15 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No it isn't. Guy is working for Disney making decent money. He signs for a new car he can afford. Disney comes in and tells him they are going to replace him with someone from India.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/u...lacements.html
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 08:17 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
No it isn't. Guy is working for Disney making decent money. He signs for a new car he can afford. Disney comes in and tells him they are going to replace him with someone from India.

But... but... but... Disney is the darling of the pro-abortion crowd because they said they were going to boycott Georgia, which BTW eliminates jobs there, as well. "Virtue" signaling biting them in the butt. Shocker.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:32 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:

Every company has downsizes. Welcome to the corporate reality since oh...ever? Every company I ever worked for has had layoffs at some while I was there. Uhm, that's why things like SAVINGS ACCOUNTS exist.

If you cannot absorb 6 months of unemployment MINIMUM, you have no business signing a loan for a new, expensive car. There's a reason that the other 95% of people who have cars are not 90 days behind on their payments. Most people get it, some do not.

MJJersey's point still stands as the proper summation of this topic.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:35 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Every company has downsizes. Welcome to the corporate reality since oh...ever? Every company I ever worked for has had layoffs at some while I was there. Uhm, that's why things like SAVINGS ACCOUNTS exist.

If you cannot absorb 6 months of unemployment MINIMUM, you have no business signing a loan for a new, expensive car. There's a reason that the other 95% of people who have cars are not 90 days behind on their payments. Most people get it, some do not.

MJJersey's point still stands as the proper summation of this topic.
I disagree. A company like Disney has no business bringing in cheap labor from elsewhere. It's perfectly rational for an IT worker to want a car with a warranty to get reliably back and forth to work also. They are an IT professional, not a mechanic.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:48 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
I disagree. A company like Disney has no business bringing in cheap labor from elsewhere. It's perfectly rational for an IT worker to want a car with a warranty to get reliably back and forth to work also. They are an IT professional, not a mechanic.
They have every business bringing in labor however they please. It's their company and they can figure their labor out according to whatever profitability model they please, or at least they should be able to in a free market. And the smart worker in any field should know right off the bat which companies (and many big companies love H1B workers an the tax breaks and all that) like to outsource and/or offshore work to India/China...and maybe not work there?

I recently got a job off from one such company in my current market, and I know from jump that white folks me are temporary publicity stunts they use to handle bad press on a short term basis. The deal was actually more money, slightly better perks, maybe a better bullet point on the resume, and I told the offering recruiter no thank you. I wasn't silly enough to actually explain the "why" of that no thank you, but believe me, I know who runs the H1B game and who doesn't. And I won't work for anyone so obviously full of crap.

Also, Disney gave the offer of a 10%_of_salary payment to anyone who hung out for 90 days and did so as an employee in good standing. So from the initial announcement, that equals ~18 weeks with pay, or just slightly more than 4 months, and we don't know what other severance the laid off workers got. So there's that, but I guarantee, the grapevine inside that org knew full well at least a year before that announcement that the layoffs were on their way. No company ever had a big layoff or transition to offshore/outsource with it staying secret. No way. Every last one of those laid off workers had all kinds of time to secure gainful employment elsewhere without any break in pay. I'd wager dime to donuts on it.

people who take care to guide their own careers properly handle this crap all he time, and the folks who get complacent are the ones whining to reporters and demanding somebody "do something" to help them cover their lack of involvement in their own lives.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:49 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Liberals want to make it illegal for indepedent mechanics to make a living see Tesla or John Deere for good examples. They want us to become like Europe where car ownership has historically been out of reach for half the population, because they didn't need it with their well developed train, trolley, subway, or bus networks, and because of high taxes. In Mexico nearly everyone drives, their roads are pretty crap too, a place that will never have self driving cars because of how crap the roads are and non-existent public transit except for DF Mexico.
You are against public transportation?

All other developed countries have surpassed the US when it comes to public transportation infrastructure.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:54 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

All other developed countries have surpassed the US when it comes to public transportation infrastructure.
Valid points.

Every other developed nation has it and makes it work.

Hell developing nations have public transportation and they make it work. If I lived in Bangkok I wouldn't even consider owning my own car. The taxi system is outstanding. Then you have an excellent bus service. Then the BTS and subways are amazing.

Some folks need to travel and see how others are getting the job done.

Singapore has the best public transportation system in SE Asia. Clean, modern and on time.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:55 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

I fully support public transportation but as noted, for a good portion of the country it will never work. Where it does, it's great.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Delinquency rates are the highest since tracking began 20 years ago.

Unlike a mortgage, it’s relatively cheap and easy to repossess a car.

Nearly anyone with a pulse can get auto financing. The lower the borrower’s credit score, the higher the interest rate paid.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-loan-payments

Top 20 states with highest auto loan delinquency rates:

https://bismarcktribune.com/lifestyl...9c95a1d.html#1
Interesting that the top 20 states with highest auto loan delinquency rates are the red/conservative states.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I fully support public transportation but as noted, for a good portion of the country it will never work. Where it does, it's great.
Where in our country wouldn't public transportation work and why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies