Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 09:28 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I agree. I also believe that good public transportation will provide the poor access to jobs and schools they would not have if they cannot afford to purchase a car. Just sayin.
In many places that is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 09:31 AM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
A red flag of our ensuing economy. Last recession, the canary in the cave was mortgage defaults. Today, even with our supposed economic growth, low unemployment, and trump's yuge tax cuts, 7 million are at least 3 months behind on their car payments.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.b3e1c4890bb4

I'm not surprised. I live in a suburb of Detroit, and on my work commute , drive thru several others. Mostly low middle income to slightly below that. The number of Escalades, Audi's, Jaguars and Mercedes is astounding. Not surprised at all that people get behind on their payments. Living in a $75k house and driving a vehicle that cost more than that just doesn't make sense.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:41 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Painting this whole country as a bunch of whining people and making assumptions about the motivations of those who may be in debt despite their best efforts is not hateful?

Mmkay.
No, it is not, it is truth....I don't see all of this country like that, there are some very sensible hard workers out there....but most young people today, do not know how to do without....and if you take that comment personal, trust, me, it isn't directed at you....

I see pretty darn much while I'm still working, and get to talk to a lot of young people....mingling and sharing stories....and unfortunately a lot of parents have spoiled their kids....giving them everything....credit cards, paid for college, pay for their food and housing.

Matter of fact, one of my associates, lives in a very high end housing development, what we call here, Mega Mansions....

She tells me how young people come into these homes and how they don't own much furniture...they drive BMW's and the like....and then they whine

Let me tell you, jobs do not last forever in this day and age....in my day, you worked for a company or corporation all your life....not today...so in my mind, I'd much rather buy a small home, or live in an apartment, then over extend myself....way too many people in this country are over extended.

I paint it as I see it....

yes, there are people as yourself, who work very hard, but there are so many out there who expect everything to be given to them....want free college and be paid the big bucks right out of college.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:42 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm not surprised. I live in a suburb of Detroit, and on my work commute , drive thru several others. Mostly low middle income to slightly below that. The number of Escalades, Audi's, Jaguars and Mercedes is astounding. Not surprised at all that people get behind on their payments. Living in a $75k house and driving a vehicle that cost more than that just doesn't make sense.
The banks are at it again. This time they are giving sub-prime loans for cars, packaging those loans, and selling them as bonds.

Didn't take long after trump and the GOP removed the protective regulations.
Quote:
Subprime auto loans have been and are being bundled into auto loan asset-backed securities (“ABSâ€) and sold to the public as solid, income-producing debt investments similar to corporate bonds. They’re marketed as secure products offering above-average interest. But while a bond may be backed by an issuing company’s income and assets, these auto loan ABS products are backed solely by a pool of auto loans. The loans are bundled and the rights to receive the payments generated by the loans are sold to investors.
https://www.stockmarketloss.com/secu...ed-securities/

Old 06-04-2019, 09:43 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think this is WAY off - unless you are talking a highly used machine...or the bottom of the line.

When we bought our first (and last) new Mercedes, I did chuckle are one RED one at the dealership (being repaired) with bling wheels....when a 300 lb dude stepped out of it. It was the C-Class, which doesn't exactly fit that type of person in it....but that aside.....

My dad drove a Benz. He could always easily afford it. My accountant drives a Benz - an E-Class, which I think he has owned for well over a decade. A friend and his wife in the medical business (Genetic Research and Sales) both drive leased Benz....and these don't make a dent in their take home.

I guess it depends on who you have hung with - but I don't know anyone who was "brought down" by their choice of a Benz. Personally I think the cars suck these days but that's another story.

Benz purchases had nothing to do with political party although I'm sure if you looked close they were owned more often by Democrats simply because of the locale - they were big Florida, California, the Northeast, etc. during the period when they were the height of luxury.

The very idea of financing a Benz would have been a joke to most earlier buyers. But marketing changed all that as car companies tried to appeal to every level of society. IMHO, Benz would have been better sticking with just their top machines and not trying to cheapen the brand.

In SE Florida you will see as many new Benzes (and NOT C-Class!) as you do corollas elsewhere...and I don't believe many are being repo-ed. More likely the owners pass away and the trophy wife gets them...or they are sold as part of the estate.

Yeah, try as I might, I can't think of a single family brought down by their car purchases. But each of us travels in different circles. I do know a Republican President of a Bank who was brought down from millionaire status to bankruptcy due to funny stuff....so there is that. But it wasn't his car (a Benz, of course) that sunk him.

Then I know another rich dude - not really political, but from a Jewish (prob liberal) family who went wild as he came into big money early in the computer daze. He bought one of those cigarette boats, a top line Corvette, a model wife (who turned out to be really nice and sweet...and he, of course, left her high and dry)....he went from many millions to a wheelchair and broke and then dead early because of Coke and Ho's. They could do a movie on that guy, but you've probably already seen it.

Lots of stories out there. But very few involve just a Benz. Usually it's drugs, women, booze, gambling and all the other known factors...sometimes gross stupidity, but those other things are often the cause/reason.
I agree--people don't finance Mercedes. They do finance BMWs--but quickly find out that the maintenance on these vehicles costs a lot more than a non-luxury sedan. For that reason alone, a lot of people aren't interested in overextending themselves for luxury cars.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:02 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
The banks are at it again. This time they are giving sub-prime loans for cars, packaging those loans, and selling them as bonds.

Didn't take long after trump and the GOP removed the protective regulations.

https://www.stockmarketloss.com/secu...ed-securities/
This started before Trump.

Subprime auto loan delinquencies hit six-year high

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...high/81027230/

Trump has done nothing to improve the situation obviously and I was condemning it also back then but this hardly falls all in his lap.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:11 AM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
you can live in a car but you can't drive a house....

Old 06-04-2019, 10:11 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
How does one improve one's worth in the labor market and would this require a vehicle if there is no public transportation available?
Take on more opportunities at work. Go above and beyond. Assist those who have more/better skills and learn from them. A car is not a prerequisite to having a job. Many people walk, bicycle, etc., to work. Stop making excuses for those who won't invest the time or effort into improving their own situation.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:18 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
I agree. I also believe that good public transportation will provide the poor access to jobs and schools they would not have if they cannot afford to purchase a car. Just sayin.
"Public" transportation isn't free. For example, the Chicago Metra (commuter passenger rail) monthly passes are available, and costs range from $116/month to $240/month, depending on the distance one usually rides. A 10-ride ticket cost ranges from $38 to $78.50, again, depending on the distance one usually rides.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:19 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You are simply looking to demonize those who do not live in a larger city.
That's an odd leap.

This thread is about people being behind on CAR payments, many of whom have to have car payments because they have no choice but to rely on cars for transportation.

No one cares where people choose to live, but let's not pretend that if people could either afford to live closer to work or live somewhere where more public transportation was available, this would be much less of an issue.

But this is the reality of life in this country and it breeds these continuing insidious cycles.
Seems almost by design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies