Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 08:28 AM

181 posts, read 82,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Seems as though obesity is very, very trendy these days. But yet it seems like Americans overall weight has just exploded in just the last decade.

It's not just where I reside, but I don't remember seeing anything remotely like this a decade ago.

Based on projection, Obesity is projected to increase from 40% today to around 50% by 2030

There is no way that the we will have a viable health care system at all with obesity rates what they expected to be in 2030 with the combination of baby boomers aging.

The system is either going to collapse to near worthless status for a majority in a decade, taxes will have to skyrocket or many more companies won't be able to afford to offer health insurance.

https://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S...12)00146-8/pdf

Knee surgeries from obesity are projected to go up by 85% by 2030

Large Study Suggests Link Between Obesity and Knee Osteoarthritis - Physical Therapy Products

According to the NIH "The prevalence of diabetes (type 2 diabetes and type 1 diabetes) will increase by 54% to more than 54.9 million Americans between 2015 and 2030"

Obesity is a perfect example of why I don't want universal health care, i.e. sharing an insurance policy with the rest of the world. I am perfect BMI, 110/60 BP, approx. 60-65 heart rate. No excessive drinking or smoking of cigarettes. I don't want to be penalized due to the moronic choices of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 08:58 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCopeland View Post
Obesity is a perfect example of why I don't want universal health care, i.e. sharing an insurance policy with the rest of the world. I am perfect BMI, 110/60 BP, approx. 60-65 heart rate. No excessive drinking or smoking of cigarettes. I don't want to be penalized due to the moronic choices of others.
So you will never get sick? Are you rich enough to cover medical costs if you get (God forbid) cancer? A lot of people go into bankruptcy because of the lack of coverage.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:01 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
I would like to see health insurance increase premiums for obesity, alcohol abuse and smoking. People need to take responsibility for self inflicted wounds.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:24 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What happened that you became obese in the first place? You called it a disgrace to let it happen. Something must have triggered you to go from not obese to gaining significant amount of weight.

People should not have to engage in programs, weird diets, or rigorous routines to not be obese.
Bad eating and following previous erroneous diet recommendations caused me to get overweight with a huge gut. I don't think the US food chain or diet is functioning well nor is accurate nutritional information available to the average American....what you call a "weird diet" is just eating nutritiously.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:40 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
In San Francisco, I never see many fat people. Honestly, I've always felt fat there, even being 5'10 and 125 lbs.

After checking, the obesity rate is around 11%.

Ditto about so many fit people in CA. So much different than other parts of the US. You see so many people walking, biking and eating healthy foods in CA. So many more healthy food choices in CA restaurants and supermarkets versus other states. Lots of walking trails and bike paths for people to use and the people use them. Hardly anyone overweight even slightly overweight in some areas of CA.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:45 AM

5,981 posts, read 2,235,359 times
It would help if the USDA food pyramid was scrapped and another was created. That food pyramid was not created based on scientific evidence but based on what was considered best for the country 60 years ago. It was BS then and is now.

Why hasn’t the government studied the difference in the food supply and our policies compared to less obese 1st world countries. Seems the USA still does not take the problem seriously.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:54 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Ditto about so many fit people in CA. So much different than other parts of the US. You see so many people walking, biking and eating healthy foods in CA. So many more healthy food choices in CA restaurants and supermarkets versus other states. Lots of walking trails and bike paths for people to use and the people use them. Hardly anyone overweight even slightly overweight in some areas of CA.
They have money, weather and leisure time to walk, bike and afford to eat fancy salads and juices.

Life is tougher in some other places and for poorer people. How about North Dakota with ten months of winter.....or super hot and humid places with swamp, bugs and snakes... not great for hiking.. and not as much money or choice for healthy meals all the time.

California land of fruits and nuts and cash.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:01 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Seems as though obesity is very, very trendy these days. But yet it seems like Americans overall weight has just exploded in just the last decade.

It's not just where I reside, but I don't remember seeing anything remotely like this a decade ago.

Based on projection, Obesity is projected to increase from 40% today to around 50% by 2030

There is no way that the we will have a viable health care system at all with obesity rates what they expected to be in 2030 with the combination of baby boomers aging.

The system is either going to collapse to near worthless status for a majority in a decade, taxes will have to skyrocket or many more companies won't be able to afford to offer health insurance.

https://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S...12)00146-8/pdf

Knee surgeries from obesity are projected to go up by 85% by 2030

Large Study Suggests Link Between Obesity and Knee Osteoarthritis - Physical Therapy Products

According to the NIH "The prevalence of diabetes (type 2 diabetes and type 1 diabetes) will increase by 54% to more than 54.9 million Americans between 2015 and 2030"
I would think that the aging of America (more and more retired people accessing healthcare) will put a greater burden on the system than obesity.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:13 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Who is number 3 on that list? California, Hawaii, Washington, and other states with mild winters have the health benefits of not requiring people to be cooped up for 6 months of every year.

I do appreciate being heavily quoted. Perhaps you guys can make one of those quote books.
If you actually read that source you would have noticed only 2 of the top 10 states has a mild climate.

Washington's climate is definitely not mild, nor are the climates of the other 7 on the top 10 list.

The top 10 are:
10- Utah
9- Washington
8- Colorado
7- Minnesota
6- Connecticut
5-Massachusetts
4- Hawaii
3- New Jersey
2- New York
1- California

Old 06-03-2019, 10:28 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If you actually read that source you would have noticed only 2 of the top 10 states has a mild climate.

Washington's climate is definitely not mild, nor are the climates of the other 7 on the top 10 list.

The top 10 are:
10- Utah
9- Washington
8- Colorado
7- Minnesota
6- Connecticut
5-Massachusetts
4- Hawaii
3- New Jersey
2- New York
1- California
The point the other poster was trying to make was that the pot states have good health, but most of those states also have mild climates, which needs to be a factor. Washington has a relatively mild climate in terms of cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies