Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 11:05 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Housing prices are out of control, but I don't know of if rent control is the answer. Supply and demand I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 11:15 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://la.curbed.com/2019/5/22/1852...mKlsAqBaFuLsFc

Maybe it's all that Section 8 and lack of building permits that is causing prices to increase.

The reason why rents are expensive in lower-priced neighborhoods is because of government section 8 vouchers. The reason the vacancy rates are very low is because of all the worthless regulations to build.

The only solution to their issues is not telling landlords if they raise there rent they will have to give up to $4,500 to tenants who don't want to pay for market rates.

Wow, so if landlords raise there rents a certain amount they will have to give up to $4,500 in tenant relocation money.

Rent control is a big failure and this will be also.

Rent control just causes desperate landlords to let their properties decline to the extent that the rent-controlled tenants have to move out so they can have a fresh batch of much higher paying tenants.
This is about as stupid as it gets. If you can't afford to live in a highly desirable area-move to somewhere you CAN afford. There is no guarantee that anyone will arbitrarily be able to move to a desirable area and pay the rent they choose-rather than what the market demands.

More reasons to find reasons to evict tenants, or put the property up for sale for whatever the market will bear.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:38 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
Good. Wish my state would do something like this. I LOVE how my slumlord drives a new truck and new dodge challenger while we pay her 1200$ a month for this house....eh we will get the last laugh...she thinks we are gonna buy this craphole and we aren't but she can raise rent in a year if we tell her we aren't buying it so we are just gonna tell her we are buying it and then we are moving sometime next year..hope they have to return their cars or they get repoed.I despise people like her and her husband.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Better than the corporate greed from Wall Street, otherwise you'd be priced out of the city you live in entirely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Nevada rents have went up 40% in the past few years. So grateful we own. People are becoming homeless and we have a housing shortage. No clue what the answer is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Maybe you’re not familiar with the horrible effects of Calif’s Ellis Act? With the rapid run-up in rents, landlords have been raising the rents to a rent that the renter can’t afford- leading to rapid eviction of the tenants. These tenants often cannot afford the extremely high market rents and the moving costs associated with that. These payments to tenants might result in discouraging unscrupulous landlord behavior and/or help the displaced tenant a chance to adjust to finding another place to live.
Sometimes there are no innocent parties. On EITHER side.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:22 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
a maximum increase of 10% on rent is a cap.

a 10% increase on rent may not cover the landlords increases in utilities, taxes, maintenance costs, renovation costs, etc. in a given year.

regardless of costs, it is the landlord's building and not the politicians' building.
Doesn’t say they can’t raise it more than 10%.

Derka durr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies