Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 12:24 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,816,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
So... some random Asian lady used the "m-word" in an argument with the 5 gay black men playing their music too loud at 2 AM in her Airbnb? ...definitely a national news story for the current year. Is there an alternative to the "Becky" slur for white women that the media can popularize for Asians?
Not that it matters, but is this factual? I have never seen it reported anywhere that they were gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 12:31 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,732,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Not that it matters, but is this factual? I have never seen it reported anywhere that they were gay.
Well, it was reported that the men met while travelling and now frequently all travel together to far away, exotic destinations. So I think it's a pretty safe bet.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:11 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,296,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
That would be the case if it was you in it.

The host has been removed form Airbnb and the platform sided with the guests, so did the police. So, this was dealt with appropriately.
I pity you if you found a redeeming quality in any subject throughout that video.

I'd also refrain from equating the moral high ground with decisions by a police department if I were you. I'd rather have my actions backed by a child rapist than a government faction.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:30 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,629,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The only thing noteworthy about this is that we've had the last two years seen every similar instance where a white woman yells at a nail salon owner, BBQ outing, apartment neighbors or whatnot...promoted as national news.

But I flip over to CNN and I guess they don't think this woman is white enough to meet their national news criteria this time.

It's stuff like that that drove me after 20 years to dump them, delete their app and move to Reuters.
I am a moderate (not very conservative or not very liberal) and have gotten tired of CNN lately. It seems like they mostly talk about the Mueller Report when that investigation has already run its course for the most part. By contrast, as a public health graduate I actually saw a great report on Fox that went into detail on how the border crisis is overwhelming regional trauma centers - the ER. The exposure on the cost was just surreal - it's passed onto the tax payers - millions and millions of dollars. Plus the narrator actually struck me as being compassionate and talking to the immigrants with genuine concern about their condition. But somehow she (Laura) keeps being labeled as racist. I thought that was ironic. She didn't strike me as racist at all in that news segment.

As for the Asian woman using the term "monkey", that is colorism - a lighter-skinned minority discriminating against a darker one. It is common within the African American community and between minority groups. I have seen Jews from South FL get racist like that. I have also seen it within African Americans. Colorism is very common. Spike Lee showed it in his classic film "School Daze". As much as Muhammad Ali was revered, his fights and slurs against Joe Frazier could be labeled as colorism - "get that gorilla in Manila". Colorism occurs between minorities a lot - especially in dating. That Asian woman probably prefers white men over other Asians and minorities. Similarly, you could also find black men who prefer white women over black women - especially in professional sports.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:00 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,019,394 times
Quote:
This was pretty shocking to hear. Granted you don’t know what transpired prior to filming, but it looks like the group of black men were complying with leaving, just asking for more time to gather their stuff. It looks like in a moment of frustration, the young Asian woman just snaps and made a low-blow, racist comment. She knew she was being filmed too, but it didn’t seem to matter to her:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.wa...tputType%3Damp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...1835179161/amp
First time I see men bwitching in Instagram

Old 06-04-2019, 06:17 AM

181 posts, read 318,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Asian people not all, but some can be racist. One of my good friends is Taiwanese. One day while hanging out at a midtown Manhattan bar. My friend was disgruntled that Asian American women prefer white men. He was upset and started to use racial slurs and daming white people. He came across the wrong white guy who wanted to beat up my friend. If I was not there. White guy would have had a field day on my friend. My friend also made comments about black women that I found offensive due to my being in a relationship with a black woman. I had to call him out twice on his bigotry towards black and white people, especially since I'm both half black and half white.

I think the question that you should be asking is why somebody who is the way you described this guy to be your "good friend" (or, your friend at all)?

Old 06-04-2019, 06:29 AM

181 posts, read 318,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
SOME Asians can be very racist people.

Yes, the anti-Blackness among SOME Asians is so perplexing, especially when you consider many of them absolutely LOVE Black music and are literally infatuated with so many aspects of Black American culture. There's even been videos circulating around social media of Asian men braiding their hair in knots, and then unbraiding it so that they can make their hair look similar to that of African people. So much of "K-pop" is recycled Black music from the 80s and 90s.

It's utterly fascinating how a group of people from countries where anti-Blackness is so prevalent, also love so much about Black culture lol! But honestly, the same can be said for many Latinos and even a lot of White people. The biggest consumers of Black music is actually not Black people themselves, but other ethnicities. Can't help but wonder if people's hate for Black people is really envy?

Old 06-04-2019, 06:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,593,379 times
Quote:
This was pretty shocking to hear. Granted you don’t know what transpired prior to filming, but it looks like the group of black men were complying with leaving, just asking for more time to gather their stuff. It looks like in a moment of frustration, the young Asian woman just snaps and made a low-blow, racist comment. She knew she was being filmed too, but it didn’t seem to matter to her:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.wa...tputType%3Damp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...1835179161/amp
Airbnb has booked more than 500 million nights since 2008. Out of 500 million, how many owners were jerks? How many guests were jerks?

Airbnb is very clear about Fair Housing Laws. Yet, when an owner or guest behaves badly, Airbnb, gets the bad press.

Why is this newsworthy?

Old 06-04-2019, 06:45 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,375,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I pity you if you found a redeeming quality in any subject throughout that video.

From "pieces of trash" to "no redeeming quality". At least, me calling you out made you reconsider you assessment and come to a more moderate conclusion.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:00 AM

78,010 posts, read 60,193,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
It really doesn’t help your point to generalize like that but definitely Asian countries that have less exposure to foreigners will have more “racism”, but that is true of any country regardless of race.
It's not a generalization, it's a fact borne of surveys etc.

Heck, I have Korean friends that got the stink-eye for hanging around non-Koreans in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies