Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 07:04 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I am a moderate (not very conservative or not very liberal) and have gotten tired of CNN lately. It seems like they mostly talk about the Mueller Report when that investigation has already run its course for the most part. By contrast, as a public health graduate I actually saw a great report on Fox that went into detail on how the border crisis is overwhelming regional trauma centers - the ER. The exposure on the cost was just surreal - it's passed onto the tax payers - millions and millions of dollars. Plus the narrator actually struck me as being compassionate and talking to the immigrants with genuine concern about their condition. But somehow she (Laura) keeps being labeled as racist. I thought that was ironic. She didn't strike me as racist at all in that news segment.

As for the Asian woman using the term "monkey", that is colorism - a lighter-skinned minority discriminating against a darker one. It is common within the African American community and between minority groups. I have seen Jews from South FL get racist like that. I have also seen it within African Americans. Colorism is very common. Spike Lee showed it in his classic film "School Daze". As much as Muhammad Ali was revered, his fights and slurs against Joe Frazier could be labeled as colorism - "get that gorilla in Manila". Colorism occurs between minorities a lot - especially in dating. That Asian woman probably prefers white men over other Asians and minorities. Similarly, you could also find black men who prefer white women over black women - especially in professional sports.
Colorism might be an excuse between Ali and Frazier but not between an Asian and a black.

It's also one of the excuses that's been manufactured over the years to try to give a pass for racists that aren't white along the lines of "they're a minority, they can't be racist" meme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 07:51 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
So, some of everyone sees blacks as monkeys. Nothing new. Everyone hates blacks for some reason or other. We're always in the wrong.
I think it's done because of the victim mentality. See what I did there?

The hosts were sleazy. Good for the BNB to boot them off their list.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It looks like she is running a business, if she could not stay professional at all time, maybe find something else to do. There is no excuse under the sun using this kind of language.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Also, she is probably a person with very low emotional intelligence.
Disagree with the last statement. It's about a defective heart.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Someone should have slapped the taste out of her mouth.
Because of a word? lol

Old 06-04-2019, 09:43 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,859,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Airbnb has booked more than 500 million nights since 2008. Out of 500 million, how many owners were jerks? How many guests were jerks?

Airbnb is very clear about Fair Housing Laws. Yet, when an owner or guest behaves badly, Airbnb, gets the bad press.

Why is this newsworthy?
Come on.......of the thousands of posts on this site, how many are actually “newsworthy?”

Old 06-04-2019, 10:08 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
I'm not surprised to see this happen. It might surprise some people, but there are instances where there are minorities hating other minorities. Consider this. In the Korean peninsula, many Koreans hate Japanese. This has alot to do with when Japan ruled Korea for 35 years. In Guyana, there are alot of racial tensions between Indians (from India) and Blacks. Gandhi hated Blacks and thought of them as inferior. He went to South Africa and campaigned for Indians to be given a status better than what Blacks had. Many people don't know this.

As for the USA, minorities hating other minorities is nothing new. During the Los Angeles riots of 1992, many Black rioters went after Korean-owned stores. There had long been tensions between Blacks and Koreans in LA. Many Blacks viewed Koreans and "invaders" taking over, owning all of the businesses, and disrespectful towards Blacks. Many Koreans looked at Blacks as inferior, being criminals, and there were many culture clashes. In Texas during Jim Crow, there were Mexicans who were complicit with Jim Crow. While Mexicans were discriminated against in Jim Crow-era Texas (and some Mexicans did stand up against Jim Crow), there were also some Mexicans who discriminated against Blacks. In LA, there has been violence between Blacks and Mexicans, especially in the 2000s. In Minneapolis, there have been instances of Black Americans clashing with Somalis. In Boise, ID, a Black man attacks refugees at an apartment complex, stabbing several people. Minority on minority tensions and violence, nothing new.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:29 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,586,340 times
If you are stupid or desperate enough to rent out your house or apartment to total strangers on AirBNB then this might happen.

And it also sounded like from the article that the Asian girl was misrepresenting what the deal was with false and/or misleading advertising trying to be greedy and play games. Typical NYC crap...everyone is looking for an angle to screw people.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-04-2019 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 10:53 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,859,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
If you are stupid or desperate enough to rent out your house or apartment to total strangers on AirBNB then this might happen.

I was a little surprised because in my few times using Airbnb, the owner was never in the apartment. I think it is a little weird and awkward to be in the apartment when guests are there because it can lead to incidents and confrontations like this (noise, misunderstandings, etc).

I would never rent my apartment out for Airbnb, but if I did, it would only be on days when I was traveling or away for an extended period of time. That was the first thing that struck me as being odd with this story, although, admittedly, I do not use Airbnb much.

The more I thought about it, it is a little gross to be staying in someone’s apartment who you know nothing about. After all the added fees, it is often more convenient and more comfortable to just stay in a brand name hotel. My last trip, I was traveling to a non work-related conference, and I ended up paying just slightly more as part of a bundled flight/hotel deal on a discount website than I would have paid for just the flight and the Airbnb. It was worth it because I stayed in a brand-name hotel downtown that was more convenient AND had breakfast included (so I probably came out ahead).

Old 06-04-2019, 11:40 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post

And it also sounded like from the article that the Asian girl was misrepresenting what the deal was with false and/or misleading advertising trying to be greedy and play games. Typical NYC crap...everyone is looking for an angle to screw or jew people.
As a new Yorker. The last paragraph is very true.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:44 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
From "pieces of trash" to "no redeeming quality". At least, me calling you out made you reconsider you assessment and come to a more moderate conclusion.
I mean...it still ain't good.

Would you voluntarily associate with anyone in that video?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies