Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:25 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
What does that have to do with this topic about IL raising taxes for transportation infrastructure projects?
Has nothing to do with the topic, they post simply just to post.

I have a few friends that live in Chicago & surrounding area, I only live 1 1/2 hours away....what is funny is NEVER have I heard anything negative about where they live. The only time I see people harping about IL is on this forum.......I have an idea. Maybe you should actually live & experience a place instead of pounding on your keyboard on some random forum claiming that you know more than any of the people living there. It's why I roll my eyes & NEVER take any of the posts by the usual suspects on here seriously.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
They raised EV registration to $248.00, from the regular rate of $101.00, but those idiots tried to make it $1000.00, but backed off.

It should probably be right around $250 to $300 more.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:40 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Liberals care about the poor and they are going to keep them around !!!
Then Mississippi must really love their poor, since it has the highest poverty and lowest income levels.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The blue psychopaths running this state are going to drive me out soon enough. I can do my job from anywhere on the planet now.

There's a long-standing trend of people with average to above average incomes fleeing Illinois. This is a state where rape is as likely to refer to taxation as anything else and governors leaving office go straight to jail.
The greatest flight out of the state is occurring in Cook Cty, more specifically from the most violent, gang infected neighborhoods in the city. It’s become a reverse migration.

Enrollment in Chicago Public Schools began to substantially decline in 2003 and enrollment continues to decline by 10,000 - 11,000 a year., despite School Choice. Many more decisions about school closures will need to be made.

In contrast, many major employers have relocated from the suburbs to Chicago and are doing so to to attract and retain millennial talent. Generally speaking, professional millennials do not have the same interest in buying a dated 90’s McMansions on suburban acreage as did Gen X and the latter half of the baby boom.

The population loss tends to be in the critical demographic, ages 25-54, skilled and unskilled.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:46 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
They have every right to increase their own taxes.

I love when liberal states put hardships on their residents.
Looks like they have bi-partisan support. It is understandable they need money for infrastructure, and unlike some in DC, they can't just print it in the basement,

Quote:
Republicans and Democrats joined together in supporting the tax increases that will fund major upgrades to roads, bridges and transit, coined “Rebuild Illinois.”

Lawmakers this spring also passed a cornerstone of Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s ambitious agenda — offering voters in 2020 a constitutional amendment that would allow the state to impose a graduated income tax, instead of the currently mandated flat tax.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
What does that have to do with this topic about IL raising taxes for transportation infrastructure projects?
Why no thread on Utah’s gas tax?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel..._United_States

Old 06-05-2019, 10:03 AM

According to Forbes, Illinois new Governor, J.B. Pritzker is now the wealthiest elected official in the US.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/denizca.../#403d08c75749

Old 06-05-2019, 11:04 AM

623 posts, read 233,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
They have every right to increase their own taxes.

I love when liberal states put hardships on their residents.
Yep! Absolutely they do but we know mostly Chicago and the other leftist areas control the entire state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I hear that Mississippi is cheap...
Indeed its a pretty state lived there as a kid for a few months...just not my kind of place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Visit? Yep some cool things to see. I love Chicago.

Live... Starting to make NJ look cheap.
We drove through the southern part once on the way to Nevada and then once me and wife and kids drove back through from Iowa back towards Indiana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So don’t visit or live there, problem solved.
“Oh but I must I must come on a forum & cry about it!”
You are the only one crying about it. Fragile....mmhmm...bout right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The blue psychopaths running this state are going to drive me out soon enough. I can do my job from anywhere on the planet now.

There's a long-standing trend of people with average to above average incomes fleeing Illinois. This is a state where rape is as likely to refer to taxation as anything else and governors leaving office go straight to jail.
What's keeping you there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
as always the down staters will pay for Chicago...……..
Of course! Just like New York and Virginia and California and Washington and Oregon.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:41 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
55 million overnight visitors in Chicago last year. They spend huge sums on lodging, dining, entertainment and shopping.

I have lived in NJ and Illinois.

Illinois property taxes have caught up with those in NJ.

Property taxes are sourced from local taxing authorities. It does not matter if the locals trend Republican or Democrat.
NJ does not sales tax food clothing or medicine. The max income tax rate on a couple is 3.5% until 80K and realistically at 80K the net rate comes in around 1.7% after all the deductions. NJ bombs millionaires tho. 8.93% over 500K. And property taxes... Figure 7K-8K on a mundane 1970s 1500 SF bilevel with 3 beds and 1.5 baths. The schools tho... outside of well known ghettos, are amazing.

People hated Christie but IMHO history books will mention that the pension reforms he pushed will save many billions of dollars. IL seems to be doubling down on huge pensions and is even in the state constitution.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:11 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to Forbes, Illinois new Governor, J.B. Pritzker is now the wealthiest elected official in the US.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/denizca.../#403d08c75749
One billionaire just replaced another billionaire. This is not how politics should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies