Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 10:49 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Here we go - more like a third, but that's still a large % of the cat's toes:

https://www.catster.com/wp-content/u...-declawing.jpg
The bone before that bears the weight.

Here is what a vet says:

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/com...-bad-news-cats

Old 06-05-2019, 10:51 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,588 times
Good, it's an inhumane practice.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:54 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Good, it's an inhumane practice.
So, it's better that thousands more cats be euthanized than a simple surgical procedure?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-05-2019 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 06-05-2019, 10:59 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The bone before that bears the weight.
This is 100% an attempt to rationalize your refusal to give in to the PC crowd. To paraphrase yourself, "Just because you said so does not make it true."

Your own link says:

"I am not suggesting here that every cat should be declawed, but rather that it should be determined on a case-by-case basis."

What's really sickening is, from what I can tell, you, BeerGeek and others are automatically declawing cats, without any forethought and without even waiting to see if the cat is going to scratch up your furniture or not. Even your own link says that should not be done.

But you might also read some of the comments below the article. Such as this one:
Quote:
In the mid 1980's I spent a lot of time defending declawing of cats as an acceptable procedure and after graduation in 1990, I did more than I can count. It was as routine as spaying and neutering. Then, in the mid 90's, I had an elderly client ask me if I would extract all of her dogs teeth to prevent bites to her grandchild. While this would not have prevented the dog from eating, I still declined. This left me questioning the declaw issue but it wasn't until about 10 years ago that we stopped declawing for reasons of "behavior". We now counsel owners on alternatives....
Do you realize that is the perfect analogy? Would it be inhumane to extract all of a dog's teeth (or even some of them) just to prevent biting?

Yes it would.

Thus it is also inhumane to extract a cat's claws just to prevent scratching.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:00 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
So, it's better that thousands more cats be euthanized than a simple surgical procedure?

I assume you don't mutilate your pets by having them spayed for your convenience.

One big reason my dog was spayed was to lessen her chance of mammary tumors.

Guess you don't about the correlation in unsprayed dogs and cats and cancer?

Old 06-05-2019, 11:27 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Many humans should never be allowed to "own" any animal.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:42 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
The knucle connectedvto the claw and claw are removed. The bone behind it remains and continues to bear weight.

This is incorrect. The weight bearing bone is amputated along with the tendons, ligaments, and claws. What is left is a little bone that was never meant to bear weight, now bearing 60% of the cat's weight. It isn't continuing to bear weight, it is being forced to bear weight, an action it was not designed to do.. The cat's entire gait and alignment is changed forever, which creates chronic pain throughout the body, not just the feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
But, you HAVE to get them used to that as kittens, and even then sometimes they resist. Cats are all over the map with behavior, so you never know. I am not advocating de-clawing. Far from it.

This isn't true. I have rescued a number of adult cats who were able to learn to accpet nail trims. Some it took some effort and patience on my part. And time. In fact the kitten was the worst and 9 years later stil has to be wrapped in a towel. It's the training method that matters, not the age of the cat.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
That NYC ACC (essentially the city pound) is a kill shelter.

So? We are discussing "declawing" here not shelters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
At this point, anybody in this thread who still thinks declawing is fine is saying so only because they don't want to give in to what they perceive as a PC-style movement. To them, giving in to anything remotely resembling a PC-style movement would be giving in to everything they abhor. And if a PC-heavy state like NY is doing it, all the more reason why they should oppose it. So it doesn't matter if those who point out that declawing is cruel and causes the cat pain the rest of their lives are probably right, they will oppose a ban on it just in principle and try to convince themselves it's OK.

You nailed it.

Pedro has done us a big favor though. Every time he makes up another "fact" it gives me an opportunity to refute it with truth.

Last edited by catsmom21; 06-05-2019 at 12:06 PM..

Old 06-05-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
It is PC nonsense.

Removing the claw just removes the claw.

It doesn't cause them pain or any functional issues.

More cats will die due to this law.

Look at the photo I posted at the structure with claw extended and retracted.

Of course, since this is purely an emotional issue for you, it won't matter.

I'm betting you're also against parents choosing circumcision for their boys.
Quote:
Except for the fact that her post is wrong.

They don't remove the weightbearing bone.

The bones bearing weight remain, and only the bone attached to the claw (which rotates up when the claw is retracted) is removed.

This is incorrect. "Declawing" is amputation of the third phalanx. This includes the claw, the bone the claw grows out of (which is also the bone that bears 60% of the cat's weight) tendons and ligaments.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Lol. You believe the claw bears weight, so you've already shown how you don't understand any of this.

The claw grows from bone. They are attached - one piece. The bone bears weight. The entire bone is amputated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies