Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 06:16 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times

Advertisements

There has always been a different tenor to the D-Day celebration. More reflective, solemnity even, of the courage, bravery, unwavering humble sacrifices made by thousands. There is no comparison or normativeness of the two events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There is a time for humility, but there is time to stand up and out.

Some of the worlds biggest hero's stood up to injustice.

Isn't commemorating D-Day a recognition of those who did stand up?

Gay people have fought long and hard against injustice, and have won many battles. If that isn't worth celebrating...then I don't know what is.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
The Left Going Berserk On The Proposed Straight Pride Parade In Boston
The article does not say anything about "the left", do what do you mean by your comment?

Old 06-08-2019, 06:50 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
I watched my local news when I got up this morning. I usually avoid it, now I know why. There were at least FIVE different stories on LGBT celebrations, or LGBT related issues showing local city government support, and media support for each. FIVE. Now if that is not in your face, I don't know what is. So, now I know why I stopped watching. If I were a young person, and didn't know any better, I would think being a heterosexual is in the minority.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:23 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I watched my local news when I got up this morning. I usually avoid it, now I know why. There were at least FIVE different stories on LGBT celebrations, or LGBT related issues showing local city government support, and media support for each. FIVE. Now if that is not in your face, I don't know what is. So, now I know why I stopped watching. If I were a young person, and didn't know any better, I would think being a heterosexual is in the minority.
Social

Engineering

Old 06-08-2019, 08:13 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
OMG. LGBT celebrations in the news during Pride Month (clutches pearls). What next? Stories about D-Day on D-Day or stories about African Americans during Black History month? And FIVE whole stories? How will we possibly cope?

Old 06-08-2019, 08:14 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
Quote:
LMAO. Wow and you guys call the Left snowflakes?

Old 06-08-2019, 12:01 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Who is doing that?
Are you even being serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's all over the news. It's been on my MSN home page for two days, on the View, on Colbert, Brad Pitt and Captain America are angry, and the left is so offended they want to turn it into a Nazi thing so they can stop it. It's just a little local parade in one city, and yet, everyone knows about it. Next they will threaten violence if it is allowed, you watch.
Because the group was using his image without consent, duh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Humility does not need to stand up, out or anything else. Being is simply enough. All else is couched in underlying insecurity and false pride.
Shrug, if you want to go thru life never taking a stand on anything & letting people walk all over you, that's your decision.

Quote:
I watched my local news when I got up this morning. I usually avoid it, now I know why. There were at least FIVE different stories on LGBT celebrations, or LGBT related issues showing local city government support, and media support for each. FIVE. Now if that is not in your face, I don't know what is. So, now I know why I stopped watching. If I were a person, and didn't know any better, I would think being a heterosexual is in the minority.
You know why? Because this weekend there are many pride events going on....DUH. Good grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Social

Engineering
Are you gay yet? No? There goes that lame explanation.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:12 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Well if the court of law gives them the right to have a silly parade, then they have every right to hold said parade, no matter how silly it may be. The court of public opinion may not like said silly parade, but their court of opinion is just that, an opinion.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:06 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That image was from the Bay to Breakers race, not a pride event.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
There has always been a different tenor to the D-Day celebration. More reflective, solemnity even, of the courage, bravery, unwavering humble sacrifices made by thousands. There is no comparison or normativeness of the two events.
You misunderstood me.

I wasn't comparing PRIDE parades with commemorating D-Day.

What I was saying is that being humble doesn't always get you results. There is a time for humility, and time for for standing up to oppression.

The ironic thing is, that the very people wanting to hold the straight parade, are the very same types that the Allies fought in the Second World War.

Far right wing NAZI's.

https://thinkprogress.org/organizers...UlEqcQF54uFJJU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies