Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 03:31 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Antifa is tribalism on steroids.

Antifa is left.

SJW on campus...

Pot meet kettle and all that fun stuff.
I STILL don't know what "SJW" means, since this is the only place I see that acronym and the people who use ir never explain what it means.

I also have my doubts about the antifa thing. As a Democrat I've never seen an antifa type show up at our weekly "Democrats in the Four Corners" meetings. The antifa is a small, extremely fascist group. Were the antifa gang ever to gain some real traction in national politics, I think they would be strongly rejected by both the Dems and the Repubs.

As for the original subject of this thread, I think the Democrats have an unfortunate tendency to bring a knife to a gunfight. We twist ourselves into pretzels trying to prove that we and our leaders are as pure as Sir Galahad. The Al Franken resignation is a case in point. Had Al been a Republican, the party faithful would have circled their wagons in support of their guy. It would be brushed off as "fake news" perpetuated by the "failing" NY Times. After all, look at the things Trump has gotten away with since the news came out that - in his own words - Trump loves to grab felines.

Trumpers like to imagine that they still hold core Republican beliefs when nothing could be further from the truth. They pretend that they're against big government and the nanny state. Well, maybe at some time in the past this might have been true. However, today's Republicans are enamoured of authoritarism as never before - especially when it's one of their own who is waving the scepter. Women having control over their own bodies and healthcare? Absolutely NOT! Jesus will make his will known through the antics of red state legislatures. A woman who is 13 and became pregnant thanks to the fact that she was raped by her uncle? Too bad. It was obviously the will of God as enforced by the Alabama state legislature. Your government in action. Yeah, right.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:32 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol
The dems don't focus on the issues. They're into identity politics.

The dems united under obama.

The dems, being the party of the klan, have no problem with racism. They had the gal to trot out racist Rev Al and the homophobe Joy Reid for talks about bigotry.

Republicans are not conservatives.

The Cleveland Browns have a better track record than your posts do.
What a bunch of tripe, doesn't even warrant a counterpoint, it's just ... false.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:37 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Both parties are tribal but a partisan would never see it about their own party. The OP makes a weak case that it is only the {R}s and their followers. Of course he blindly misses how tribal the {D} party is and no different then {R}s, all you have to do to see it is look at the candidates that are running for POTUS.

They all are out there supporting most of the same issues and using same tactics, gun control, abortion, climate change, taxing the rich, support of illegals, and of course pandering to minorities, woman and gays. Where is the renegade in the {D} party going against the tribe? Where is the {D} version of Ron Paul? can the Op tell us that the candidates running are not in lock step with the issues and tactics I mentioned?

I could go on and rip thru this nonsense partisan drivel but I won't I will let other posters have some fun.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:39 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
When conservatives ( and sometimes just middle-class people without an agenda) see the direction the democrats want to lead our country then there is a tendency to "fall in line". The democrats need to evaluate their core belief's and stop trying to pander to every one and any one if they are going to be successful.

Good luck, Rg

They only serve the corporate interest, Obama's TTIP policy is clear evidence that liberals only favor the corporation over all sovereignty of nations.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:40 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Conservatives are less tribal by nature, we all speak the same language, we all enjoy the same entertainment, we all enjoy the same type of work or hobbies. We are human, we don't seek to differentiate ourselves from our humanity like those on the left strive for. Community, family, religion, and country is more important than identity. We define identity only as American.
But what's an American to a conservative?

If you aren't a white, heterosexual Christian who believes the Bible is the literal word of God and who believes in a patriarchal social order, and if you don't believe that America was founded on Christian principles, you don't apply.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:42 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
But what's an American to a conservative?

If you aren't a white, heterosexual Christian who believes the Bible is the literal word of God and who believes in a patriarchal social order, and if you don't believe that America was founded on Christian principles, you don't apply.

Anyone who reveres the liberty that our forefather's fought for.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:42 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
My observations:

democrats talk about victims
conservatives talk about solutions

Old 06-05-2019, 03:44 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
There's considerable truth to the premise behind this thread. Conservative reasoning favors the local over the distant, the kin-group over the stranger-group, the nation over the globe. "Globalism", even in the sense of unbridled corporate power, is anti-conservative, even if in terms of profit-motive and low-taxes and so forth, it isn't exactly "liberal".

The central conservative idea is that local group-interests are more valuable and merit deeper devotion, than any paean to "universal humanity". Loyalty matters, less from the principle of fidelity and reciprocity of faith (though this matters too), than from belief that sticking together with one's family, one's mates, one's team, one's tribe - is more important than advancing some abstract goal.

The liberal view tends to diminish distinctions between people as members or non-members of some entity. To a liberal, the difference between citizen, resident, sojourner, stranger and impostor aren't so crucial. In any case they are secondary to a person's actual behavior. To a conservative, these differences are paramount.

Consequently, conservatives would regard some policy that benefits strangers or foreigners, at the expense of locals or citizens, as being stupid and outright treasonous. Liberals would shrug their shoulders in bemusement, wondering as to what's all the fuss.
1. Your post is an entire BS Word Salad

2. There IS no 2. Just refer back to 1.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:45 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
You have only to see the physical attacks by dems on someone that is conservative, or wears a maga hat, to see who really is into tribalism.
When was the last time someone was assaulted by a conservative for wearing a hillary, obama, biden, shirt/hat, or had their car vandalized for having a beto sticker?

Old 06-05-2019, 03:47 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
Nah, conservatives believe in the rights of the individual.

Democrats believe they can plagiarize someone else's work if it helps the collective.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies