Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 02:46 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Oh, so you're an expert on climate change now? What you are really an expert at is refusing to see what is going on all around you. You have been duped by all the lies spread by ExxonMobil and their paid minions at the Heritage Institute and in the Republican party. And you are happy to remain in a state of blissful ignorance since that means you can just continue to sit on your hands and feel superior to the scientific world when you probably have never even cracked the spine of a book that explains basic physics.

You and your kind have done an outstanding job - I'll hand you that. There's now little doubt that the earth will warm by 2 degrees C BEFORE 2100. The years from 2010 through 2019 were the hottest decade in earth's recorded history, and the decade before that was the second hottest decade and so on and so on back to 1980.

Glaciers all over the world - including in Glacier National Park - are shrinking and even vanishing. This is happening in Switzerland, in the high Andes of Peru, in Greenland and Antarctica to name but a few. Congratulations, deniers! Thanks in large part to your efforts an enormous rise in human suffering due to droughts, fires, on-going heat waves, loss of much of the ocean's fisheries, extreme weather events and hurricanes is now hard-wired in to the planet's future.

And it's not just the future - these things are happening now with Australia in flames and record high temperatures (120 degrees F in a suburb of Sidney). Ecologists estimate that one billion animals in Australia have perished so far. Last summer there were record breaking wildfires in Siberia and even above the arctic circle. The world was treated to astonishing satellite imagery of the incredible destruction of the Amazon by wildfires. Temperatures of 90 degrees F plus were recorded in Alaska. And let's not forget the horrific fires in Cali in 2018, including the truly horrific Camp Fire near Chico, CA.

Often people speak of the "new normal" when discussing these things. If only. The natural disasters which are overwhelming not only cities and regions but entire continents like Australia are merely way stations. When we hit the 2 degrees C warming mark as we now inevitably will, people will look back on the events of 2019 and before as a halcyon time by comparison.

Thanks, "conservatives."
I am not am expert, but I can see and research what others have done - and I trust my senses more than the experts that have been wrong for decades on multiple fronts about this.

There are people on the ground that refute the fact that those glaciers are disappearing at the park.

Why do you think the park/government are quietly removing/changing the signs?

Do you have any real data you can share?

I am only dealing with the glaciers here and not Australia - there's a thread for that. I will gladly go over there if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 02:58 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Oh, so you're an expert on climate change now? What you are really an expert at is refusing to see what is going on all around you. You have been duped by all the lies spread by ExxonMobil and their paid minions at the Heritage Institute and in the Republican party. And you are happy to remain in a state of blissful ignorance since that means you can just continue to sit on your hands and feel superior to the scientific world when you probably have never even cracked the spine of a book that explains basic physics.

You and your kind have done an outstanding job - I'll hand you that. There's now little doubt that the earth will warm by 2 degrees C BEFORE 2100. The years from 2010 through 2019 were the hottest decade in earth's recorded history, and the decade before that was the second hottest decade and so on and so on back to 1980.

Glaciers all over the world - including in Glacier National Park - are shrinking and even vanishing. This is happening in Switzerland, in the high Andes of Peru, in Greenland and Antarctica to name but a few. Congratulations, deniers! Thanks in large part to your efforts, an enormous rise in human suffering due to droughts, fires, ongoing heat waves, loss of much of the ocean's fisheries, extreme weather events and hurricanes is now hard-wired in to the planet's future.

And it's not just the future - these things are happening now with Australia in flames and record high temperatures (120 degrees F in a suburb of Sydney). Ecologists estimate that one billion animals in Australia have perished so far. Last summer there were record breaking wildfires in Siberia and even above the arctic circle. The world was treated to astonishing satellite imagery of the incredible destruction of the Amazon by wildfires. Temperatures of 90 degrees F plus were recorded in Alaska. And let's not forget the awful fires in Cali in 2018, including the truly horrific Camp Fire near Chico, CA.

Often people speak of the "new normal" when discussing these things. If only. The natural disasters which now are overwhelming not only cities and regions but entire continents like Australia are merely way stations. When we hit the 2 degrees C warming mark as we now inevitably will, people will look back on the events of 2019 and before as a halcyon time by comparison.

Thanks, "conservatives."

You are exaggerating the vast majority of that. We have always had natural disasters, and NATURAL CLIMATE CHANGE. Stop blaming MAN and "conservatives". What a load of garbage.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Glaciers all over the world - including in Glacier National Park - are shrinking and even vanishing. This is happening in Switzerland, in the high Andes of Peru, in Greenland and Antarctica to name but a few. Congratulations, deniers! Thanks in large part to your efforts, an enormous rise in human suffering due to droughts, fires, ongoing heat waves, loss of much of the ocean's fisheries, extreme weather events and hurricanes is now hard-wired in to the planet's future.

And it's not just the future - these things are happening now with Australia in flames and record high temperatures (120 degrees F in a suburb of Sydney). Ecologists estimate that one billion animals in Australia have perished so far. Last summer there were record breaking wildfires in Siberia and even above the arctic circle. The world was treated to astonishing satellite imagery of the incredible destruction of the Amazon by wildfires. Temperatures of 90 degrees F plus were recorded in Alaska. And let's not forget the awful fires in Cali in 2018, including the truly horrific Camp Fire near Chico, CA.

Often people speak of the "new normal" when discussing these things. If only. The natural disasters which now are overwhelming not only cities and regions but entire continents like Australia are merely way stations. When we hit the 2 degrees C warming mark as we now inevitably will, people will look back on the events of 2019 and before as a halcyon time by comparison.

Thanks, "conservatives."
So you obviously believe the claims about humans causing global warming.

You mention the extreme weather events.

2,000 or so years ago, Jesus said this when addressing the end of the age.

Matthew 24:3-8 - 3 As He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"

4 And Jesus answered and said to them, "See to it that no one misleads you. 5 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will mislead many. 6 "You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end. 7 "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes. 8 "But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.

Wars...check. Rumors of wars... check. Nation against nation... check. Famines, earthquakes... check.

Do you believe him about the claims He made?

Old 01-08-2020, 03:04 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
The glaciers there in the National Park have melted considerably. Have you studied before and after photos? Have you been there in person? Taken a helicopter ride to view? The argument isn't if their melting but what's causing the acceleration of retreating ice.

Does it really matter if the science was wrong at predicting what year it happened? They were right in predicting glacier loss.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
The glaciers there in the National Park have melted considerably. Have you studied before and after photos? Have you been there in person? Taken a helicopter ride to view? The argument isn't if their melting but what's causing the acceleration of retreating ice.

Does it really matter if the science was wrong at predicting what year it happened? They were right in predicting glacier loss.
I'm going by what I have read from people there in this case.

Feel free to share real information - not the climate religion talking points.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:12 PM

15,828 posts, read 6,536,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Earth has always cooled and warmed naturally. Go with it. 1850 until today doesn't define the Earth's "CLIMATE". Also, the "experts" said New York would be under water by 2014.
Looking at what happened in the past is useful for predicting the future, but you also need to factor in human influences to produce more better, accurate climate models. Science is a dynamic process and predictions are going to change as models improve. As for specific long-term forecasts, I always view them with a certain amount of skepticism. The actual climate is changing in ways that weren't expected, and in some ways is changing faster than was thought.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:19 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am not am expert, but I can see and research what others have done - and I trust my senses more than the experts that have been wrong for decades on multiple fronts about this.

There are people on the ground that refute the fact that those glaciers are disappearing at the park.

Why do you think the park/government are quietly removing/changing the signs?

Do you have any real data you can share?

I am only dealing with the glaciers here and not Australia - there's a thread for that. I will gladly go over there if you want.
Try getting your information from places other than far right propaganda outlets:

Quote:
The signs in the Montana park were added more than a decade ago to reflect climate change forecasts at the time by the US Geological Survey, park spokeswoman Gina Kurzmen told CNN.

In 2017, the park was told by the agency that the complete melting off of the glaciers was no longer expected to take place so quickly due to changes in the forecast model, Kurzmen said. But tight maintenance budgets made it impossible for the park to immediately change the signs.

The most prominent placards, at St. Mary's Visitor Center, were changed last year. Kurzmen says that park is still waiting for budget authorization to update signs at two other locations.

But the glacier warning isn't being removed entirely, she told CNN. Instead, the new signs will say: "When they will completely disappear depends on how and when we act. One thing is consistent: the glaciers in the park are shrinking.

In 2017, a study released by USGS and Portland State University said that in the past half century, some of the ice formations in Montana had lost 85% of their size and the average shrinkage was 39%.

"In several decades they will be mostly gone. They will grow so small that they will disappear. They will certainly be gone before the end of the century," Dan Fagre, the study's lead scientist, had said.

And humans are responsible, Fagre said after the study's release.

"There are variations in the climate but it is humans that have made all those variations warmer," he said. "The glaciers have been here for 7,000 years and will be gone in decades. This is not part of the natural cycle."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gl...020/ar-BBYJejT

There are endless explanations of the melting of the glaciers at Glacier National Park if you just google the subject. A sampling:

Retreat of Glaciers in Glacier National Park - USGS

Fact check: No, the glaciers are not growing in Glacier ...

Disappearing Montana Glaciers A 'Bellwether' Of Melting To ...

Vacation At Glacier National Park While You Can - It's Losing ...

Glacier National Park could be glacierless by 2030 ...

So is everyone from the USGS to Forbes to the Christian Science Monitor spreading lies about this? That's some conspiracy theory you've got going there.

I bring up Australia, Alaska, the Amazon, etc. because it's GLOBAL warming. The same warming that is responsible for the melting of the world's glaciers is responsible for all these other examples that I gave.

My replies would be fundamentally the same if I were posting this in the thread on Australia's unprecedented fires. It's all due to global warming brought on by the activities of man - burning carbon based fuels to release enormous amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:32 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So you obviously believe the claims about humans causing global warming.

You mention the extreme weather events.

2,000 or so years ago, Jesus said this when addressing the end of the age.

Matthew 24:3-8 - 3 As He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"

4 And Jesus answered and said to them, "See to it that no one misleads you. 5 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will mislead many. 6 "You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end. 7 "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes. 8 "But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.

Wars...check. Rumors of wars... check. Nation against nation... check. Famines, earthquakes... check.

Do you believe him about the claims He made?
If you are going to fall back on explaining this by quoting passages from the Bible, you need to post in the Religion Forum, not here.

I am a Christian myself - although NOT an Evangelical - so I will say that the above passage from the Book of Matthew describes the plight of humankind long before Jesus was ever born and long after He was born. Do you think there were no "war or rumors of wars, etc." in the Middle Ages or at the time of the Enlightenment or when our Country was first founded? These things have always been with us and always will be with us.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Try getting your information from places other than far right propaganda outlets:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gl...020/ar-BBYJejT

There are endless explanations of the melting of the glaciers at Glacier National Park if you just google the subject. A sampling:

Retreat of Glaciers in Glacier National Park - USGS

Fact check: No, the glaciers are not growing in Glacier ...

Disappearing Montana Glaciers A 'Bellwether' Of Melting To ...

Vacation At Glacier National Park While You Can - It's Losing ...

Glacier National Park could be glacierless by 2030 ...

So is everyone from the USGS to Forbes to the Christian Science Monitor spreading lies about this? That's some conspiracy theory you've got going there.

I bring up Australia, Alaska, the Amazon, etc. because it's GLOBAL warming. The same warming that is responsible for the melting of the world's glaciers is responsible for all these other examples that I gave.

My replies would be fundamentally the same if I were posting this in the thread on Australia's unprecedented fires. It's all due to global warming brought on by the activities of man - burning carbon based fuels to release enormous amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere.
I will go through some of this tonight.

But let me make sure you understand where I (not anyone else, not all conservatives) am coming from.

These experts put dates on their predictions. They don't just say the glacier is melting. They say they will be gone by 2020. And they are wrong. You absolutely cannot deny that because they are removing the signs that indicate they were wrong. There's no argument here. We can't even predict the weather constantly a week ahead of time, and people are telling me what will happen decades into the future? I just don't buy it. Why add dates to their predictions if they are not trying to steer behavior away from certain activities?

I also reject any man made warming on a large scale. On a local scale, there is an effect where a larger amount of people and activity can raise the temperature a few degrees than sparsely populated areas. But on a worldwide basis where the oceans cover 71% of the earth, and water vapor is much more prevalent in the atmosphere than CO2... I'm not buying it. And again - I think it's an attempt to steer people's behavior away from certain activities.

But I will read thru some of it tonight.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:41 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
And exactly what are the credentials of Robert Root who put this on YouTube. He has 88 subscribers to his channel. Just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies