Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How far do you think we are from the end of cannabis prohibition?
5 years 24 40.68%
10-15 years 17 28.81%
15-30 years 7 11.86%
Never 11 18.64%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 02:37 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Is the well of supporting facts and evidence already so dry that we have to resort to insults and flat assertions of victory rather than engaging with the topic? I didn't expect to scrape the bottom so quickly.
I don't know about you, but I wasn't insulted.

The poster you replied to lives in their own little world with its own reality, which allows them to make things up, like the definition of "gateway drug" being a drug that results in more drugs getting legalized.

That is pretty creative and truly entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 02:38 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post

This poster lives in their own little world with its own reality, which allows them to make things up, like "gateway drug" referring to a drug that results in more drugs being legalized.

Meh I burned out on the rhetorical games people play to avoid supporting their beliefs a long time ago so my patience for that type of nonsense is pretty much nil.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:40 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:

The poster you replied to lives in their own little world with its own reality, which allows them to make things up, like the definition of "gateway drug" being a drug that results in more drugs getting legalized.

Thing is though, their "reality" is the one shared by most GOP politicians and religious leaders and is the reality we all have to live with until the times change.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:46 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Thing is though, their "reality" is the one shared by most GOP politicians and religious leaders and is the reality we all have to live with until the times change.
Which brings us full circle.

We have the power to make the times change (voting). We just have to exercise it. We are now in the majority.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:47 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Which brings us full circle.

We have the power to make the times change (voting). We just have to exercise it.
Another way to put it would be:

I think with either party it will eventually be legalized.

Uninterrupted Republican power I'd give it 20-25 years
Uninterrupted Democrat power I'd give it <5 years

Old 06-07-2019, 02:51 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Never, hopefully. It’s interesting that the OP calls the gateway drug label a lie but pot has been THE gateway frug to legalization of other drugs. “Magic mushrooms” are now decriminalized in two cities on the heels of the pot craze.
Quote:
So what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It shows that pot really is a gateway drug.
That's not what "gateway drug" means, at all. Jesus Christ.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:56 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
I believe it might be 5 or so years here in Texas. The current leadership doesn't address it too much as a whole and medical use was just recently approved on only limited conditions. But the state is too diverse to maintain that state of mind and eventually younger law makers (democrat or republican) will decriminalize it across the board when the stigma starts to fade away. As of now, it still stands for the counter culture of the 60's and the drug choice of slackers in the minds of many although that is not the reality any longer. But let's not confuse it with THE solution to societies problems and what differentiates liberals and conservatives. Just like drinking on the job or drinking while driving, there are always some disciplines that must be followed to assure a functioning society with something that essentially affects your senses. The moral issue is being over come quite efficiently, the monetary (taxation) issue will be another hurdle.
I think Oklahoma is going to have to go recreational which I can see happening in the next five years. The marketing and business presence here for the medical marijuana industry is going to destigmatize it and I think rec will pass with ease in a few years. When that happens, it's going to put pressure on Texas to do something. Until then there probably won't be much movement other than decriminalization in the Texas cities, which are more diverse, secular, and liberal than rural Texas.

There was a chance earlier this year that Louisiana might go rec but the state GOP and religious right managed to get it defeated. Prohibition has won the day once again in Louisiana.

Quote:
Another way to put it would be:

I think with either party it will eventually be legalized.

Uninterrupted Republican power I'd give it 20-25 years
Uninterrupted Democrat power I'd give it <5 years
I would say this is about right.

The Christian Right is still passionately against it and they have the final say over the GOP platform and the GOP is the dominant party in our country.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:58 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
I voted yes on California Proposition 19 on my first ballot in 1972.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cali...ition_19_(1972)

I don’t smoke pot but it is well past the time for legalization.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:07 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
All this talk about republicans and evangelicals keeping it illegal is just wasted keystrokes. Money is the primary factor in keeping it illegal.

Public opinion could reach 90% and it wouldn't matter. It will remain illegal until we, the voters, start voting out prohibitionists. Once they get the message that their seat in congress is actually under threat because of their stance of marijuana prohibition, they will quickly POP (Pivot On Pot).

When it comes to ending The War on Drugs, public enemy #1 is money. The power of the vote is the only power in the universe strong enough to overcome the power of money. See post #7 for proof (Oklahoma's voter-friendly ballot initiative petition process).

I disagree. I think money is why it will become legal faster.

Investors are already jumping headfirst into this industry big-time.

State governments are seeing how much money medical marijuana in their states (and legal marijuana in other states) is bringing in. It is a lot of money, and let's face it--this country is into extreme capitalism. States that really require money for infrastructure, education, health care, will be foaming at the mouth eager to legalize it. It is a state income stream that does NOT require increasing taxes. People pay the tax on weed voluntarily if it means they can legally buy it in their state (medical or recreational).

Old 06-07-2019, 03:09 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think Oklahoma is going to have to go recreational which I can see happening in the next five years. The marketing and business presence here for the medical marijuana industry is going to destigmatize it and I think rec will pass with ease in a few years. When that happens, it's going to put pressure on Texas to do something. Until then there probably won't be much movement other than decriminalization in the Texas cities, which are more diverse, secular, and liberal than rural Texas.

There was a chance earlier this year that Louisiana might go rec but the state GOP and religious right managed to get it defeated. Prohibition has won the day once again in Louisiana.

The Christian Right is still passionately against it and they have the final say over the GOP platform and the GOP is the dominant party in our country.
According to this poll evangelicals are 52% against 43% in favor.
Republicans are about the same.
That isn’t passionately against in my book and I don’t think the GOP is the dominant party.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-legalization/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies