Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather pay $5000 more in private premiums than $2000 more in health care taxes?
Yes, paying more to the insurance companies ensure that I am free 27 29.67%
No, paying less into a Medicare-style system is the sensible thing to do 64 70.33%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 10:28 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,675,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Which is why we should be changing it and removing that tax monkey from the tax payer's back.

I'm for reducing such taxes while you apparently want to increase them.
As a country, we cannot deny medical care to the elderly or children. Therefore those taxes are here to stay. The only way to cut your losses is to get on board with those benefits and quit paying high health insurance premiums with high deductibles and co-pays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 10:28 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,899,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most hospitals in the US are not for profit. This status does not preclude profit. Rather those profits cannot be used to declare a dividend for shareholders. Profits may be used to expand, modernize, acquire other hospitals and medical practices , teach and provide unreimbursed services.
Thats totally besides the point. Its Wall Street who run our health care system. And a for-profit health care system will always be much more expensive as all statistics show.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:30 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,449,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
As a country, we cannot deny medical care to the elderly or children. Therefore those taxes are here to stay. The only way to cut your losses is to get on board with those benefits and quit paying high health insurance premiums with high deductibles and co-pays.
Where did I say anything about denying care?

Oh, I forgot liberals believe taxes are the cure for everything.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:30 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,459,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I watched the end of the Canadian Open golf tournament on TV. There were thousands of Canadians in the gallery at Hamilton Golf Club, in walkers, wheelchairs, on O2, and whatnot, too weak to applaud the winner of the tournament, because they were waiting for, or just plain lacked (due to a death panel) health care.

Naw. Like hell there were.

All the golf fans in Canada, at that Canadian golf course, looked to be happy and healthy, and obviously glad to pay to be there (and having been myself a part of the gallery at the Canadian Open golf tourney on the final day, I can attest that the daily ticket, especially on the final day, can be very expensive), and they were obviously not hurting for funds due to taxation. As were the Toronto Raptors' fans who travelled on their own dime, by air and road to Oakland for Game 4 of the Toronto Raptors-Golden State Warriors series. How can Toronto Raptors' fans travel, get hotel rooms, etc., if they are so crippled by taxes in order to pay for healthcare?

For that matter, how can Canadians afford houses, business startups, giant pickup trucks, fifth-wheel campers, cottages, cabins, European and Caribbean and Hawaiian vacations, and household pets? Shouldn't they be forgoing those luxuries; and instead, saving for those, as some Americans would call them, "grueling" taxes?

Canadian taxes are not "grueling." Canadian taxes are reasonable. Canadian taxes are at a level where Canadians can pay them, get health care (among other things), and still have a lot left over for luxuries. I would imagine that it is the same for the people of other First-World democracies, that have single-payer or state-supplied healthcare. Any American who tells another American, "Under single-payer healthcare, your taxes will go up a bazillion percent" is lying to you. Any American who tells another American, "You won't get a choice of doctor or hospital" is lying to you. Any American who tells you, "Your medical records will be in the hands of the federal government," is lying to you. Such things do not happen under single-payer, and I speak from experience. I chose my own doctor, and I would have him up before the medical licensing board on an ethical breach if he tried to share my medical records with any government.

Hell, I can afford to fly business class for pleasure, in spite of the so-called "grueling taxation." I can rent the best cars, and stay at the best hotels for as long as I want. Talk to me again about "grueling taxation," and then tell me how much you pay in taxes, in health insurance premiums, and then at point-of-service in co-pays and deductibles. Then tell me how much disposable income you have left at the end of the year.

Me, I can afford to fly business or first-class, just for fun, in spite of my government's taxes. Americans, can you say the same, in spite of your insurance premiums, co-pays, and deductibles at point of service, in addition to your health insurance deductions off your paycheck?
Poverty rate in Canada fell to 9.5% in 2017.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...n-history.html

The US poverty rate in 2017 was 12.3%. It’s close to 20% in some states.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ates-in-the-us

Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,675,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Where did I say anything about denying care?

Oh, I forgot liberals believe taxes are the cure for everything.
How do we pay for Medicare and Medicaid if we cuts taxes/funding?

Old 06-10-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Poverty rate in Canada fell to 9.5% in 2017. The US rate was 12.3%. It’s pushing 20% in some states.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...n-history.html
Poverty rate is subjective and not comparable between countries. A person could be dying of treatable cancer and be out of poverty, but not able to afford cancer treatment so has to die as a result. Some people think this is freedom, but most sane people think it is pure callousness.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,459,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
It's 1/3 cheaper in Canada, and Canadians live longer.
Canadians don’t kill as much as US people do.

Maybe there’s something in the water in the US.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:41 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,361,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Simple question, is it better to pay more in private health care premiums, deductibles and co-pays than paying less than that in taxes?
the cost in taxes to the taxpayer...remember of the 150 million tax filers, only about 80 million have a positive tax liability..IOW there are only 80 million tax federal tax payers

if divided equally (and yes we have a progressive (discriminatory) tax system) the cost would be like 30,000+ to each taxpayer to fund coverage for 330 million people

so your poll is wrong

Old 06-10-2019, 10:41 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,346,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Simple question, is it better to pay more in private health care premiums, deductibles and co-pays than paying less than that in taxes?
Neither. I'd rather pay my doctor.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the cost in taxes to the taxpayer...remember of the 150 million tax filers, only about 80 million have a positive tax liability..IOW there are only 80 million tax federal tax payers

if divided equally (and yes we have a progressive (discriminatory) tax system) the cost would be like 30,000+ to each taxpayer to fund coverage for 330 million people

so your poll is wrong
No its not.

Its a myth that single payer in America would be more than twice as expensive as the current absurdly expensive system. It will not cost 4 times as much as in other developed countries. Thats just laughable corporate propaganda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies