Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 03:19 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

Though by saying so, I'd add that no law has yet been passed that is "no abortion at all", but I have seen "abortion at full term, including after delivery" get passed by NY.
That is not what the New York law does.

Quote:
The RHA permits abortions when — according to a medical professional’s “reasonable and good faith professional judgment based on the facts of the patient’s case” — “the patient is within twenty-four weeks from the commencement of pregnancy, or there is an absence of fetal viability, or the abortion is necessary to protect the patient’s life or health.”

In other words, women may choose to have an abortion prior to 24 weeks; pregnancies typically range from 38 to 42 weeks. After 24 weeks, such decisions must be made with a determination that there is an “absence of fetal viability” or that the procedure is “necessary to protect the patient’s life or health.” That determination must be made by a “health care practitioner licensed, certified, or authorized” under state law, “acting within his or her lawful scope of practice.”

Previously, abortions after 24 weeks were justified only in cases where the mother’s life was at risk — which was inconsistent with a part of the Roe decision, as we explain later.

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/02/ad...-abortion-law/

Old 06-09-2019, 03:21 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Women will never concede that they don't have autonomy over their own bodies. Period.

And it doesn't matter if abortion was outlawed in all 50 states, they will continue to happen, the way they have for millennia. The difference is that more women will be killed or injured.

But the anti-choice crowd doesn't seem to care about the lives of women, just fetuses.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:21 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Neither, make it a state issue subject to the democratic process, rather than judicial fiat. A minority of states will outlaw abortion, and an even smaller minority of the population will live in a state that outlaws abortion. Many states will place restrictions on abortion somewhere between complete legality and complete illegality, which is the most democratic outcome.

With such a controversial issue, there will be no ultimate victory and defeat. Compromise is the best way, and thankfully our system has a great way to accomplish this.
Or just not have an abortion if you dont want one. You say controversial as if it matters what other people do with their lives.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:31 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Or just not have an abortion if you dont want one. You say controversial as if it matters what other people do with their lives.
I’ve asked more than one pro lifer how it directly effects their life when someone they don’t know has an abortion. Never gotten a response.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:35 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I’ve asked more than one pro lifer how it directly effects their life when someone they don’t know has an abortion. Never gotten a response.
All I can figure is that it's apparently more horrific to not be able to tell other people what they can or can't do with their own body than it is to, you know, not be allowed to do what you want with your own body.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:36 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No one is going to be able to find a provider who will abort a pregnancy at 39 1/2 weeks because the mother is “depressed” or “anxious”. If there is any maternal need for delivery in the third trimester every attempt will be made to save the baby.

It has always been and always will be "early birth being the first option considered".

All the NY law does is protect the obstetrician from being accused of doing an illegal abortion if for some reason - immaturity in the early third trimester or fetal damage from the mother's illness - the fetus does not survive.
if the woman demands an abortion, what is the doctor supposed to do? I'm fairly certain of the answer from what I HAVE read, but certainly willing to be better informed.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:37 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Women will never be forced into having a baby. You can discuss it till the cows come home but they have the last say. Many will go to places they can have legal ones or get an illegal one.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:40 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I thought the GOP wants to be out of people's personal lives. They don't want the government or nanny state to be involved in individual choices, okay, then, why get involved in a health care decision of strangers?

Old 06-09-2019, 03:42 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,099,160 times
Compromise is the only way forward but those in both extremes would be against that.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:42 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Women will never concede that they don't have autonomy over their own bodies. Period.

And it doesn't matter if abortion was outlawed in all 50 states, they will continue to happen, the way they have for millennia. The difference is that more women will be killed or injured.

But the anti-choice crowd doesn't seem to care about the lives of women, just fetuses.
millenia?
I'd say the vast majority of the pro-life "side" believes in exceptions for rape/incest/health of the mother

And frankly, if you can't refer to your "opposition" as either pro-choice or pro-life instead of pejoratives, go ahead and mark yourself as an extremist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies