Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 03:08 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
That is what I am saying. There is no way to solve the killings.
And the truth is, Chicago is not the worst of the cities when it comes to killings. That goes to Baltimore, St. Louis, New Orleans, Detroit, Gary, Birmingham. Chicago could do alot better, but using Chicago as the litmus test for violence obscures one little fact: Chicago has over 2.7 million people. And 27 shot does not often translate to 27 dead. And most of the shootings take place in the same neighborhoods they have been taking place in for the last 35 years.

The only thing that seems to get the killings down is gentrification. Sad, because while gentrification does get some of the crime out, it also prices working people out. If you can't afford to live in a certain neighborhood, you have to leave.

The violence that has been taking place in Chicago, it's even worse in other cities. St. Louis has been a violent city for a very long time. Worse than Chicago has been. The issues with gangs and violence are all over the inner city ghettos of America. Not even the death penalty (as is the case with Louisiana) truly curbed the problem. What has curbed the problem is a drop in birth rates and gentrification. And sometimes the results can vary. Death penalty doesn't scare some violent criminals because they don't expect to live past 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 03:19 PM

I've watched Gangland on The History Channel. Miami, New Orleans, and Milwaukee stand out to me. Zoe Pound, the Gotti Boys, and the Gangster Disciples.

In the Miami episode, an officer was talking about Zoe Pound. She said that in their mentality, they aren't afraid of getting the death penalty. For them, it's "once I've killed you, I can kill 14 more people, and the state can only kill me one time". In that same episode, some Zoe Pound members said that they don't stop gangbanging until they die. They don't seem phased by an early death.

In the New Orleans episode, a detective talked about the Gotti Boys. He said that some of those kids don't care if they live or die, and are all about their idea of "I don't give a (explicative)".

In the Milwaukee episode, a criminal justice professor said that if you were to ask some of those kids where they saw themselves at 30, they would laugh. They don't see themselves living to be 30.

One them in those cases. Young men who expect to be dead at a young age. They don't care if they die either. They're numb to the idea of dying young. For this reason, they won't hesitate to kill.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:36 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And the truth is, Chicago is not the worst of the cities when it comes to killings. That goes to Baltimore, St. Louis, New Orleans, Detroit, Gary, Birmingham. Chicago could do alot better, but using Chicago as the litmus test for violence obscures one little fact: Chicago has over 2.7 million people. And 27 shot does not often translate to 27 dead. And most of the shootings take place in the same neighborhoods they have been taking place in for the last 35 years.

The only thing that seems to get the killings down is gentrification. Sad, because while gentrification does get some of the crime out, it also prices working people out. If you can't afford to live in a certain neighborhood, you have to leave.

The violence that has been taking place in Chicago, it's even worse in other cities. St. Louis has been a violent city for a very long time. Worse than Chicago has been. The issues with gangs and violence are all over the inner city ghettos of America. Not even the death penalty (as is the case with Louisiana) truly curbed the problem. What has curbed the problem is a drop in birth rates and gentrification. And sometimes the results can vary. Death penalty doesn't scare some violent criminals because they don't expect to live past 30.
I worked in KC and St Louis years ago. I would not go into E St Louis even then. There are definitely areas of KC and St L. that I would not enter even armed today. Like you said in the other post. The possibility of dying does not faze them. They expect to die young.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:03 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
The problem is solving itself their is a reason why this is the murder rate of the U.S over time.

https://www.thetrace.org/rounds/murd...-coordination/

Ignore the political information in the post and just look at the graph. In big cities the problem is even more significantly reduced. For example Black population of NYC in 1990: 2.1 million, in 2010: 2.1 million.
Murder #1990: 2245, Murder #2010: 534, Murder #2018: 290...

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...e-100-or-older

The generation millennial will have will be smaller than the millennial generation even with immigration. Because of this the murder rate will certainly fall of a cliff as the average age of citizens will likely hit 40+. Of course murder rates can increase or decrease because of cultural changes but even without cultural changes the murder rate will fall because the contry is getting older and every year it ages, the murder rate slowly but surely will fall, year to year might not look like much but over the space of 20 years it will be a pretty dramatic drop likely I predict the rate will be around 4 per 100,00 instead of 5 like it is today.

https://marginalrevolution.com/margi...ide-rates.html

Here's a bit of the graph I posted earlier but estimated and extended into the past, as you can see except for the 50s the U.S is in unknown territory in terms of how low the homicide rate is or could be and this is all with the rise in median age.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I worked in KC and St Louis years ago. I would not go into E St Louis even then. There are definitely areas of KC and St L. that I would not enter even armed today. Like you said in the other post. The possibility of dying does not faze them. They expect to die young.
Parts of Atlanta I won't venture into unless I have to. I used to commute through the worst part of Atlanta. Bars on the windows and doors. Graffiti. Streets looked like they haven't been worked on in ages. A few apartment complexes that look ready for the wrecking ball. And some suburban areas of the Atlanta area are worse than Atlanta itself. College Park, not Atlanta, has the highest violent crime rate in Georgia. A suburb. With some of the gentrification and tearing down of housing projects, Atlanta has seen gentrification in some areas. Places like College Park (and counties like Clayton and Douglas) are wear some people relocated. There are some areas full of tweakers I wouldn't want to go to.

Between St. Louis and Kansas City, I'd favor KC when it comes to the Show Me state's largest cities. Part of it is my disgust with the St. Louis Cardinals, but that's another story. I also have a soft spot for the West. What has been of interest to me is why Kansas City has such a high murder rate. Atlanta is more Black than Kansas City by a long margin (29 percent vs 52 percent). Atlanta has a lower murder rate. In fact, Georgia has a lower murder rate than Missouri, and Georgia is 30 percent Black(and has other majority Black cities like Macon, Albany, and Savannah), vs Missouri, which is 11 percent Black.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:30 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...511026511.html

https://abcnews.go.com/US/shootings-...ry?id=63579107

Why doesn't she just admit that her city has a lower homicide rate than many, many cities but there is nothing that can be done because hundreds of thousands of multi-generational welfare queens had as many as they could for a big, juicy welfare check and all the benefits that go along with it. Another thing is lots of welfare queens also use their subsidized housing as leverage to recruit as many bad boy parolee's as possible into their lives and have baby after baby. The children they have they can't take care of and voila 15 or 20 years later they are hardened gangsters.

I have a feeling that this is the calm before the storm. Many poor women and parolee men are having been having as many children as possible that they don't have the slightest idea how to take of, so in a decade or two many big Democratic, liberal cities might be much worse then today.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...-born-medicaid

I guess there is far worse than Chicago as far as homicides per-capita but still interesting how last month she said when she was elected "“Enough of the shootings. Enough of the guns. Enough of the violence,”

The mayor also said last month " “no higher calling than restoring safety and peace in our neighborhoods,”

Looks like this new liberal Democratic mayor has already failed. She is just another Democrat that gives speeches but has no policy and no solution to anything. Just a bunch of excuses and arrogance.
What would you do that the new mayor and predecessors have not done to reduce the senseless shootings?

Be specific.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Its Chicago and this is their norm. AS I used to teach in leadership training.. You get what you accept.

Chicago has gang problems, drug problems, a large segment of the population has a complete distrust of law enforcement and refuse to cooperate. It's easier to just complain and make excuses.

My favorite excuse for Chicago gun violence is guns are easy to buy in Indiana. Well why doesn't Indiana and everywhere else where guns are easy to buy, have Chicagos problems?
Depends on where in Indiana.

Gary tends to fly under the radar because the population is less than 100,000.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The funny thing is that most of Chicago is pretty safe. Everyone knows what the problem is, but due to political correctness, no one wants to identify the problem. Thus, gun violence in Chicago will go on forever.

Look at it like a rapid form of justice. Criminals are killing criminals, so it is saving the government millions of dollars in expenses for their imprisonment, housing, and foodstamps.

Have you ever wondered whether the city government and the police force are okay with the gun violence on the south side? In high school, we would occasionally drive around in the south side, never stopping at traffic lights or stop signs. It is like a land in which rules no longer exist. It was dangerous then- it is dangerous now. It will never change- except for the worse. East St. Louis in the making.
You are correct, most of the violence is concentrated in 5/25 Police Districts, South and West of downtown.

Most homicides involve a gang member.

Most homicide investigations don’t close. The locals protect family and/ or known there will be consequences for talking.

One of the more notorious mass homicides occurred at a memorial service for a man who was killed. A group of thugs emerged from an alley and began shooting.

The local alderman made news when he said “ no innocents had died”. The memorial was for a slain gang member. The gang put out a challenge on social media. The gang colors were flying at the street memorial

The opposing gang responded to the invite with guns blazing.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Depends on where in Indiana.

Gary tends to fly under the radar because the population is less than 100,000.
Same reason Fort Myers has flown under the radar. I never hear Ft. Myers mentioned when it comes to violent crime, but it has a pretty high violent crime rate, rivaling Gary. Wilmington, Delaware, down river from Philadelphia, is a violent city, one of the worst in the USA. Both cities I mentioned are 64,000 and 72,000 respective.

In a state known for Newark, Trenton, the capital of New Jersey, has a pretty high murder rate too, on par with Newark. Population of Trenton: 84,964.

Here in Georgia where I live, Atlanta gets all the attention for crime. Macon, however, has a higher murder rate than Atlanta. It gets no attention because of its population, 92,836.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Trump said he would fix this.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ime-doj-880976

Trump on Monday said he has directed the Justice Department to work with law enforcement in Chicago to “straighten out the terrible shooting wave” in the city. “We’re going to straighten it out. We’re going to straighten it out fast."
Trump sent in a handful of agents to help trace guns.

Chicago PD confiscate 8000 guns a year.

It is reasonable to assume nearly everyone in the roughest neighborhoods is carrying, legal or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies