Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 04:12 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Things are better in Congo now than 10 years ago, but 5.4 million people have perished in the violence there, which makes it the deadliest conflict since WW- II.
So why is it our responsibility? Why don't they go to Germany or France which is closer and cited as superior to the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 04:13 PM

14,227 posts, read 4,590,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
There were at least a couple of videos showing them crossing at night.

The bigger question is, how in the hell did they get halfway across the globe to Mexico? I guess by now the whole world knows the way in to the USA is via the southern border.

I had to laugh this morning when I read about it. The old Texas I knew used to shun anything French. Now they're begging for French Language translators and pleading for others to get them out into another more liberal state. I live in NorCal, but even though I'm all for the wall, I still believe Gavin needs to see how asinine his policies are and therefore they need to be shipped to SF or San Diego --Especially because it was President Trump's idea to bus them off to major cities across the country, and that will really sting Gavin.

Dear god, Gavin will run this state into bankruptcy before he learns his lesson. But that's another thread.

Anyway, it's not funny, and this is very serious both as a public health issue, and a public safety issue.

God help us.
People (from all over the world) have used the US/Mexico border to cross illegally for ages. I've caught a few Chinese and former- Soviet blocs nationals when I was working in Yuma.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
if they have money in their home country, they would be qualified for B2 visa and get to US via an air-conditioned commercial jet. I have coworkers who are TDYing at the Southern border and they are confirming Ebola cases with some of the migrants.
What is “TDYing” ?

The Southern border between which countries?

If you are implying the US border, your coworkers are disclosing confirmed cases of Ebola, while withholding this information from the CDC? Sounds like serious criminal charges are in order, if true.

Conversely, DRC shares a SE border with Uganda and Rwanda. These borders are jungle have have been in dispute for decades. Uganda recently confirmed a case of Ebola near this border.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What is “TDYing” ?

The Southern border between which countries?

If you are implying the US border, your coworkers are disclosing confirmed cases of Ebola, while withholding this information from the CDC? Sounds like serious criminal charges are in order, if true.

Conversely, DRC shares a SE border with Uganda and Rwanda. These borders are jungle have have been in dispute for decades. Uganda recently confirmed a case of Ebola near this border.
TDY = temp duty

Southern border between US and MX. I work for CBP and some of my coworkers are already reassigned to southern border to support BP with the migrant crisis. I'll be joining them soon

With a little Google, its in the news

Ebola Laredo Texas | Ebola Outbreak Map

Old 06-13-2019, 01:08 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Apparently hundreds of illegal aliens from the Democratic Republic of the Congo in Africa, have been dumped in San Antonio, TX, with little or no notification of city officials.

Outbreaks of the deadly disease Ebola in the Congo have been confirmed in the last several months by the Centers for Disease Control:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...ola-congo.html

When a person LEGALLY immigrates to the United States, a routine part of his processing is a medical exam, to determine if he is carrying any diseases.

Have these illegal aliens had such an exam? How do we know if any are carrying the Ebola virus? Except if they get sick and die a few weeks or a month later, after they disappear into the U.S. population?

Shouldn't we do something to make sure that all persons immigrating to this country, get that medical exam? And keep out the ones who haven't had one?

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/l...b-fdc1d2991d6f
They should have been dumped in disease ridden Los Angeles.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:43 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,006 times
Quote:
Reportedly, they fly into Ecuador, via connecting flights, travel through the jungles of Columbia on foot, then through Central America and finally across Mexico. It’s a trip of about 15,000km.

The incubation period for Ebola is typically 8-10 days. Symptoms would be obvious long before they reached the US.
This.

It's a long hard trip, but takes enough time to likely filter out any infected ones.

But why the U.S.?

I can understand trying to escape from the DRC (I have spent time in Kinsasha myself) but there are safe francophone countries much closer than the U.S.

Unfortunately too many refugees from the DRC turn into "Hate America" types.

Remember the Statue of Liberty protester?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccJfCCHBFVo

Old 06-13-2019, 05:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
TDY = temp duty

Southern border between US and MX. I work for CBP and some of my coworkers are already reassigned to southern border to support BP with the migrant crisis. I'll be joining them soon

With a little Google, its in the news

Ebola Laredo Texas | Ebola Outbreak Map

All search engines are capable of pulling up fear mongering click bait- Fake News.
Your link is a redo of another link dated, 4/16.

https://local2455.com/featured/congo...says-official/

Sorry, an unnamed source and hearsay does not cut it as it relates to Ebola.

Your link shows an unfortunate person somewhere in the world with an open wound with the caption” “ Refugee Dies of vomit ”. No mention of who/when/ where.

Your link also contains a 2014 tweet from Trump: “ US must stop all flights from Ebola- infected countries or the plague will spill inside our borders”. It is a word for word quote from Hannity.

There were no direct flights from any Ebola- infected country. Hannity beat the Ebola Drum longer and harder than any other opinion celebrity. He found obscure infectious disease experts willing to speculate Ebola could be airborne. Day after the 2014 Midterms, Hannity announced his reporting ceased as the Ebola story was no longer newsworthy.

Funny how that worked out, eh.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
All search engines are capable of pulling up fear mongering click bait- Fake News.
Your link is a redo of another link dated, 4/16.

Sorry, an unnamed source does not cut it as it relates to Ebola.

Your link shows an unfortunate person with an open sore with the caption” “ Refugee Dies”. No mention of when/ where. @

Your link also contains a 2014 tweet from Trump: “ US must stop all flights from Ebola- infected countries or the plague will spill inside our borders”. It is a word for word quote from Hannity.

There were no direct flights from any Ebola- infected country.
I guess my CBP coworkers are lying to me. I guess I will have to take your words for it because you are working at the border and have first hand experience of what's going on.

It's just another "manufactured" crisis and fake news.

My apology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies