Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 05:46 AM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm all for that.

Silencers are a misnomer. It's not like someone's gonna be able to shoot someone in an alleyway without others nearby knowing.

All it does is reduce the hearing risks for law abiding gun owners.
How about if we use the term "more silent". They could can still use head phones at the range and devices that make guns "more silent" defeat shot spotters and make it more difficult to detect location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 06:03 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
What sounds would those be? I wear ear protection at the range and I'm able to hear everything I need to hear.
Of course you do

Anyone that believes a suppressor makes a gun silent has watched too many movies. You can get it pretty quite with sub sonic ammo but then the weapon will have ballistics of a compound bow. Or a mortar.

Ear plugs make so much sense while hunting. Especially in grizzly country.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:16 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Basically the supremes (a.k.a. robe wearing politicians) have decided that the serfs should be denied the possession of a safety item (well absent a govt permission slip and healthy tax) because of a Hollywood stereotype. Of course the supremes aren't experts in anything of practical value as most never held a job outside of govt service, so no one should really expect any deep or critical thinking to eminate from its chambers.

And more proof your beloved constitution isn't protecting anything (its not mine, I never agreed to it and never signed it)

Old 06-11-2019, 06:35 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Basically the supremes (a.k.a. robe wearing politicians) have decided that the serfs should be denied the possession of a safety item (well absent a govt permission slip and healthy tax) because of a Hollywood stereotype. Of course the supremes aren't experts in anything of practical value as most never held a job outside of govt service, so no one should really expect any deep or critical thinking to eminate from its chambers.

And more proof your beloved constitution isn't protecting anything (its not mine, I never agreed to it and never signed it)
You are right unfortunately, if the need to remove this govt from power ever became necessary, 'the people' would stand ZERO chance of success, heck, I doubt we could even come together to agree it needed to happen!! LOL

The tyrants have sure been successful in their goals though.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:57 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
If a person gets enough time on the range the person they shoot shouldn't be a witness !!!

Then if someone is going to the monkey house for murder do they really care about the suppressor ?
A sharp tongue does not mean one has a keen mind.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:20 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No one has claimed they are totally silent, and I would suspect most people know that.

Actually most people don't know that.

They just think that's what they do based on Hollywood and anti 2nd amendment types intentionally misrepresenting what they actually do

A SUPPRESSOR only reduces the over all sound pressure to the point where it's not immediately dangerous to your hearing. ....but like a muffler on a chain saw......it's still pretty loud.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No one has claimed they are totally silent, and I would suspect most people know that.
I think that in fairness when it comes to guns, a lot of people know more incorrect than correct information. Heck, it's common find incorrect usage of terms like "automatic" weapon as one example.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:36 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
The funny thing about this thread is all the hand-wringing or cheering (depending upon who is talking) about a "conservative court".....and wham...no suppressors.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:40 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
How about this. I'd like to see the silencer legalized for HOME USE ONLY, i.e. on your property or for home defense within your own home. I have concerns regarding my hearing as well in a home invasion situation. "Here Mr. burglar, wait a minute while I put my earplugs in"

They are already legal in many states, you have to apply for a "tax stamp" though, background check, waiting period, etc.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:41 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The US Supreme let stand lower court rulings that federal regulation of gun silencers was not a violation of the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. Eight moronic States wanted silencers protected under the 2nd amendment. The lower courts ostensibly ruled that silencers are no "bearable" arms under the Constitution.

Why are these things even legal?

Be that as it may, thank heaven for small favors.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...silencers.html
no such thing as a silencer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies