Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Actually most people don't know that.

They just think that's what they do based on Hollywood and anti 2nd amendment types intentionally misrepresenting what they actually do

A SUPPRESSOR only reduces the over all sound pressure to the point where it's not immediately dangerous to your hearing. ....but like a muffler on a chain saw......it's still pretty loud.

It's still a quite loud "pfffftt" followed by a hiss similar to an air compressor shut off. Nothing like the movies where people are shooting at each other with suppressed guns in some public place and the bystanders are oblivious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 10:52 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Anyone should be able to order a suppresser off amazon

Old 06-11-2019, 10:55 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
It's still a quite loud "pfffftt" followed by a hiss similar to an air compressor shut off. Nothing like the movies where people are shooting at each other with suppressed guns in some public place and the bystanders are oblivious.

Many people don't realize how loud guns really are.

They see shoot em up scenes in the movies where cops and bad guys are talking to each other during a gun fight inside a building.

Hate to tell them but without hearing protection, you wouldn't hear a thing other than the bang and your ears ringing for days afterwards.

Watch new shooters at a range ....even with hearing protection on, many will jump or flinch when the gun goes off because it's WAY LOUDER than they think it's going to be.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:56 AM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Why are these things even legal?

Be that as it may, thank heaven for small favors.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...silencers.html
I can only echo your question. Our former gov Christine Gregoire (D, WA) made quite possibly the biggest mistake of her fine career when she signed into law a provision legalizing silencers here.

They are designed for assassinations, for the slaughtering of the defenseless and innocent. Anyone who's seen even one James Bond movie knows this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9SalJ-ohls

Old 06-11-2019, 11:09 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You don't have to. Anyone with a drill press can make an adapter to thread an oil filter onto their barrel and use it for a silencer.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:34 AM

923 posts, read 495,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Quote:
You don't have to. Anyone with a drill press can make an adapter to thread an oil filter onto their barrel and use it for a silencer.

This ^ and it's also easy enough to make a disposable suppressor out of items found in most households.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:48 AM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
How about this. I'd like to see the silencer legalized for HOME USE ONLY, i.e. on your property or for home defense within your own home. I have concerns regarding my hearing as well in a home invasion situation. "Here Mr. burglar, wait a minute while I put my earplugs in"

They are already legal in many states, you have to apply for a "tax stamp" though, background check, waiting period, etc.
How many home invasions do you have a year that you would be worried about your hearing.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:54 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No one has claimed they are totally silent, and I would suspect most people know that.
I'd expect most people to think a silencer makes a gun sound about the same as someone punching a pillow, because that's what Hollywood has incorrectly taught us. A gun fitted with a suppressor is as loud as a jackhammer instead of a jet engine.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:23 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I can only echo your question. Our former gov Christine Gregoire (D, WA) made quite possibly the biggest mistake of her fine career when she signed into law a provision legalizing silencers here.

They are designed for assassinations, for the slaughtering of the defenseless and innocent. Anyone who's seen even one James Bond movie knows this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9SalJ-ohls

Do you really believe the bull**** you post or do you just do it to get laughs ? Just curious.

Has the murder rate gone up since the legalizing of them in your area ?

Old 06-11-2019, 12:43 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
What sounds would those be? I wear ear protection at the range and I'm able to hear everything I need to hear.
I shoot at a gun range in a state park. It can be very hard to hear the range officer with ear plugs in or any other ear protection. If I am near the far end, I am 100 feet from him and they don't have any electronics like speakers to use. With a suppressor I could hear him and still protect my hearing. This gun range is 20 miles away and the closest by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies