Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 11:17 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
City-Data when liberals make political statements: Shut up and act, Hollywood! TV sucks and I've never heard of movies!

City-data when a conservative makes political statements: MAGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
100% accurate. Which is why cons have rendered themselves completely irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 12:10 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
It is a little odd that people want to force folks to stand up (out of "respect") for the Pledge to show how "free" we are. I'd rather if folks were pledging allegiance to anything, it was the US Constitution instead. Shaming others to do what you think is right or "respectable" does not mean those you are haming suddenly see your point. Even if they stand, they probably harden their stance against you and what you are proposing instead. Human nature being all that it is

Old 06-11-2019, 12:46 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Is this the same Kristy Swanson who was arrested for a cocaine overdose in 1988, the one who plead no contest for DWI in 2000 or the same one who was charged with assault in 2007?

Truly a role model for truth, justice and the American way, but I guess in terms of Trumpian morality it's just a little transgression to be overlooked.

Another "family values" Trumpling.

Swanson began an extramarital affair with her Skating with Celebrities partner Lloyd Eisler during the show's run, while Eisler was still married (post-separation) to his then-pregnant wife, Marcia O'Brien.[5] Swanson gave birth to a son named Magnus Hart Swanson Eisler on February 16, 2007, one month after Lloyd's divorce from Marcia O'Brien was finalized.[6] Swanson married Eisler on February 7, 2009 in San Luis Obispo, California.[7]
Swanson says that she has "always been a proud Republican" and has consistently defended and championed current US President Donald Trump's campaign policies and statements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristy_Swanson

Old 06-11-2019, 01:00 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The Jehovah Witnesses I went to school with did NOT stand during the Pledge. They sat, quietly, while others stood and recited it. The teacher explained at the beginning of the year that some students had issue with the pledge, and that the school AND the student body would respect that, while those students not reciting the pledge were expected to also respect the students who did recite the pledge.
I taught schools in eight different states, DC, and for DoDDS/DoDES, I highly suspect I have seen more Jehovah Witness students than you did in your one school system and all stood. All. I’m not saying they did at your school, but I know they did elsewhere. By in large, they were very, very respectful students, both of teachers and fellow students, and I can’t think of a single one that would need to be reminded not to disrespect those who chose to say the pledge. Maybe you are confusing students who just didn’t want to say the pledge.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:14 PM

662 posts, read 313,021 times
The pledge is a lie, it calls our nation "indivisible." That should give any honest person pause before repeating a lie.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:17 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
What's funny to me is reading her response, that she also stands and pledges when in any other country as well, out of respect. Now I'm not saying it's wrong to be polite and respect a moment at an event while overseas. But Kristy, sweetheart, do you not understand a pledge? Also, just throwing this out there, Jehovah's Witnesses, for example, do not pledge allegiance to the flag. It's considered idolatry.
No, she didn't. Try reading it again.

Personally I stood and did not recite the pledge as a middle ground of showing respect for flag and country while not reciting a pledge that I do not in good faith agree with. It really doesn't bug me if someone doesn't stand. I'd rather have people not stand than stand and say things they don't agree with because of some forced collectivist identity.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:36 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
I usually stand with my mouth shut during the Pledge.

I just wish people so hung up on the Pledge and the National Anthem would stop defacing that flag they are so loyal to. Most have never read the flag code so they have no clue it is not to be written on, even by a POTUS for the troops. It is not to be used as advertising. How many patriotic car dealerships fly huge flags?

Merchandise from floor mats to afghans have American flags printed on them. How special it is to see a flag printed bikini up in some idiots butt crack.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:43 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Since when did obedience/ compliance, equal patriotism? LOL
Nobody should be forced to say the pledge, but it is a sign of respect for your country and fellow citizens. I went to school in the late 60's and 70's and the few black kids we had in school (due to bussing them in) did NOT stand, nor did they recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Nobody cared if they did or not, and nothing was said to them for not saying it.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I taught schools in eight different states, DC, and for DoDDS/DoDES, I highly suspect I have seen more Jehovah Witness students than you did in your one school system and all stood. All. I’m not saying they did at your school, but I know they did elsewhere. By in large, they were very, very respectful students, both of teachers and fellow students, and I can’t think of a single one that would need to be reminded not to disrespect those who chose to say the pledge. Maybe you are confusing students who just didn’t want to say the pledge.
I appreciate the breadth of your experience. I don't think standing is required to be respectful. And I am not confusing anyone.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:03 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The Jehovah Witnesses I went to school with did NOT stand during the Pledge. They sat, quietly, while others stood and recited it. The teacher explained at the beginning of the year that some students had issue with the pledge, and that the school AND the student body would respect that, while those students not reciting the pledge were expected to also respect the students who did recite the pledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I fail to see how sitting quietly is not being respectful. Maybe you are confusing the act of standing with being respectful but they could easily see it as taking some (minimal) part in an oath. I'm assuming you REALLY hate those who "take the knee" during our national anthem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies