Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 12:38 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,333,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I understand that. Guess what it also doesn't say - human activity controls the temperature.

Water vapor is subject to the temperature set by the sun. Warm temps increase evaporation. When the evaporated water vapor interact with the cool upper atmosphere, we get clouds, which in tune blocks heat from the sun and cools the earth and causes precipitation, which brings the water back down to the earth.

But I do give you credit for at least reading the link.
Clouds can also heat up the Earth too. It depends on the type of cloud. What I've heard is that higher, thinner clouds clouds tend to warm the Earth and lower clouds tend to reflect energy back towards the sun: https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/Clouds

Although, according to the link, on average they cool Earth more than warm it.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:40 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
We often hear from the AGW crowd that they "believe in science". "Minds that understand science" are sometimes very selective in choosing what scientific information they choose to believe or dismiss, yet contend that they are fully wed to the scientific method and the veracity of scientific data.

I wonder how many supporters of AGW believe:
First of all, one doesn't "believe in science". One either understands it or not. And I understand the science that shows climate change is not only real, but accelerated by man. Check out C13/12 isotope ratio if you doubt this.

Quote:
1. That GMO foods are not safe
They are safe. However, there are issues around the herbicides and pesticides they are resistant to and the impact they have on the environment.

Quote:
2. That vaccinations are harmful and cause autism
Only the loony right wing nutcases think of that. And the loony left wing new agers.

Quote:
3. That chemtrails are intentionally created to alter weather
Mostly loony right wing nutcases who believe this.

Quote:
4. In using homeopathic or naturopathic medical treatments

Mostly left wing nutcases who are on this kick.

Quote:
5. Use fish oil or "supplements" is beneficial
Two different things. Fish oil that does not come from supplements has some benefit. The supplements themselves, not so much.

Quote:
6. Fluoridation of water is harmful
Both right wing and left wing nutcases push this malarkey.

Quote:
7. in the existence of ghosts
Yeah, tons of people in the USA do, especially in the South. They usually add the word "holy" in front of it.

Quote:
8. That the earth has (or is) visited by aliens from other planets
Alex Jones, cooooooome onnnnn dowwwwwn!

Old 06-15-2019, 01:27 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,832,500 times
What is a global warming supporter? Why would anyone support global warming?

Old 06-15-2019, 06:07 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,738,074 times
Quote:
We often hear from the AGW crowd that they "believe in science". "Minds that understand science" are sometimes very selective in choosing what scientific information they choose to believe or dismiss, yet contend that they are fully wed to the scientific method and the veracity of scientific data.

GMOs are safe. Vaccines are safe and necessary. Chemtrails are not real. Homeopathy doesn’t work. I have no idea about fish oil supplements. Fluoride in water is beneficial. Ghosts aren’t real. Life on other planets probably exists, but I don’t think aliens have visited earth. Human activity affects climate.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:26 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,333,844 times
Quote:
The history of medicine is not a pretty one. Until the advent of the Flexner Report and more formalized medical education, quackery was rampant in the administration of healthcare in the US. Not until about 1910 forward was there objective science and training applied to medicine. Harvey Cushing and Walter Dandy were just beginning the basis of neurosurgery in America, which had been essentially non-existent.

I cannot bear responsibility for things that happened before I was born. I assure you that medical training has improved considerably, even from the time I trained in the 80s. My daughter is in med school now and from what she describes, they have addressed many of the problems from when I trained. Unfortunately, reduced hours and electronic medical records has hampered the benefits of many of those advances. When I trained, MRIs were brand new. Aids had just been recognized. We had only two pulse oximeters and three automatic blood pressure cuffs for 26 operating rooms. Laparoscopic procedures were new and lithotripsy for kidney stones was just starting.

However, adhering to the principles of science, advances have been made. That is why it is so disappointing to see mankind taking a huge step backward with the AGW farce- vacating the valid principles of science for emotion and political gain.
Says the person who isn't even trying to make an argument for some kind of alternative view...lol, or provide any useful criticism whatsoever, or even ask a worthwhile question. All you've done is vent.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:49 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,421,272 times
Quote:

What an odd way to try and discredit climate change.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
There's no evidence that humans cause warming on a global scale. All that's there are people saying humans cause global warming.

If humans cause warming, the New York City, which is the most densely populated city in America, should be warmer than other cities in America, but it isn't.

This is what we are up against folks.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
GMOs are safe. Vaccines are safe and necessary. Chemtrails are not real. Homeopathy doesn’t work. I have no idea about fish oil supplements. Fluoride in water is beneficial. Ghosts aren’t real. Life on other planets probably exists, but I don’t think aliens have visited earth. Human activity affects climate.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:04 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,128,156 times
Default More Evidence of Human-Caused Climate Change: "Arctic Melt Goes Into Overdrive"

"Arctic melt goes into overdrive"
https://www.axios.com/arctic-melt-cl...87aa603fb.html

Greenland and the polar region are melting, and melting at a record pace. Unprecedented.

It's simple, folks. You can't burn 1,000 barrels of oil per second and not have it change the atmosphere and climate. The chickens are coming home to roost.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:38 PM

25,391 posts, read 17,072,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
"Arctic melt goes into overdrive"
https://www.axios.com/arctic-melt-cl...87aa603fb.html

Greenland and the polar region are melting, and melting at a record pace. Unprecedented.

It's simple, folks. You can't burn 1,000 barrels of oil per second and not have it change the atmosphere and climate. The chickens are coming home to roost.
Sure you can.
Pollution was a lot greater back when you were in the third grade. If energy use was directly tied to global warming, then WW2 would have raised the world's temperature.
The chickens are safe. Democrats are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.