Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 11:10 PM

8,235 posts, read 3,492,716 times

Advertisements

And to make it even better, I found the list of ID Requirements for VA to obtain the marriage certificate. I do not have such documents. I only have two of three required and to obtain the third would cost even more money. I would have to obtain certified school transcripts, which would take maybe weeks to process and receive. So, I cannot just go to the court house in Virginia and obtain the marriage certificate. I have to go through even more hoops and expense just to be able to apply for the certificate, and then they could still reject the documents after I spend all of that money (if I can even come up with all of that money in the first place). It would cost at least 4 to 5 hundred dollars altogether in expenses and several months of waiting and jumping through hoops.

Men, on the other hand, can keep marrying and divorcing and never have to worry about all of that. It's an additional hassle that only women have to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 11:27 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
And to make it even better, I found the list of ID Requirements for VA to obtain the marriage certificate. I do not have such documents. I only have two of three required and to obtain the third would cost even more money. I would have to obtain certified school transcripts, which would take maybe weeks to process and receive. So, I cannot just go to the court house in Virginia and obtain the marriage certificate. I have to go through even more hoops and expense just to be able to apply for the certificate, and then they could still reject the documents after I spend all of that money (if I can even come up with all of that money in the first place). It would cost at least 4 to 5 hundred dollars altogether in expenses and several months of waiting and jumping through hoops.

Men, on the other hand, can keep marrying and divorcing and never have to worry about all of that. It's an additional hassle that only women have to deal with.
Mayor Pete's husband changed his name when they married.

I also know a lady who is in her 90s who took the name of 'her second', they had kids, gave the kids his last name, but she never actually married him because she wanted there to be as close to zero chance as possible that he would ever be able to invade the trusts she eventually inherited.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:02 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:

It looks like you only need a current Drivers License or state ID, according to the state form. And the vital records are $12 each, which is pretty reasonable. We had to pay $30 for DH's birth certificate.

Vital Records Request (PDF)

Hope this helps!

Old 06-14-2019, 12:18 AM

8,235 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
It looks like you only need a current Drivers License or state ID, according to the state form. And the vital records are $12 each, which is pretty reasonable. We had to pay $30 for DH's birth certificate.

Vital Records Request (PDF)

Hope this helps!
Thank you. That one looks better than the other one. I really hope that one works. The other one wanted more money too and demanded a credit card.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Thank you. That one looks better than the other one. I really hope that one works. The other one wanted more money too and demanded a credit card.

It sounds like you got snagged by one of those services. There are a bunch out there, and they all overcharge. Better to go through the actual state.

As the form states on page 1, make sure your DL copy is large and clear enough to be legible. It's a tiny thing that can muck up the whole thing.

Good luck!

Old 06-14-2019, 12:44 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
What does it matter about the plane? How do you survive without a form of valid ID? If someone with low or no income cannot afford the travel to another location to obtain the required marriage and divorce papers then the person cannot renew the license and will be unable to drive or show ID. I have no income and all my papers from my forced marriage are in another state. I won't even have the money to pay for the papers, not much less the travel costs to go to that state. I likely won't even have the $48 for the renewal. It will cost hundreds of dollars just to have a valid ID once it is over and I won't have it.
You can get all that by mail. Just fill out the request forms. No need to travel. That's how I got a certified copy of my marriage certificate from another state, by mail.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:57 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I wonder what will be required for very young (before school age) children? Of course they would have a birth certificate and SS card, but nothing else. Enough?

Daughter will be flying with her sons (3 and 5) in November.
Domestic flight? Nothing. International (Mexico, for instance) might require a note from their father. And that goes way back before 9-11, 1980s I believe.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Domestic flight? Nothing. International (Mexico, for instance) might require a note from their father. And that goes way back before 9-11, 1980s I believe.

Internationally, they now need a passport. Domestically, it's up to the airline - they might need a certified copy of their birth certificate.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:31 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Internationally, they now need a passport. Domestically, it's up to the airline - they might need a certified copy of their birth certificate.
I meant even with a passport they might require a certified note from the father if traveling internationally to certain countries. Same goes for a father traveling with kids without mom. If mom and dad are divorced or traveling separately. Kidnapping risk. As for domestic travel, have not heard of minor children being required to have any ID at all. Is that part of the 2020 rules coming up?

Old 06-14-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I meant even with a passport they might require a certified note from the father if traveling internationally to certain countries. Same goes for a father traveling with kids without mom. If mom and dad are divorced or traveling separately. Kidnapping risk. As for domestic travel, have not heard of minor children being required to have any ID at all. Is that part of the 2020 rules coming up?

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't get that from your post. Yeah, they frequently have to have a note from a parent, if the child is traveling with only one. Probably stops a lot of custodial interference kidnappings.

I don't think it's part of the 2020 rules; it's airline specific. Federal law doesn't require children to have any ID to travel domestically. I've no idea why some of the airlines do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies