Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times

Advertisements

My brother in law's nephew and his husband have continued to disown him. They were supportive when he came out 30 years ago, and took him in for a little while when he was a teenager because his mom was a drunk. It's pretty sad.
So... anyone who's lost a friend or relative because you voted for Trump or admitted you're conservative... have you patched things up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnYUbkVWglc

Old 06-11-2019, 10:45 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
They are speaking but between all the crying, sobbing and blubbering its difficult to know what they are really saying !!! I've told them to stop crying or I'll give them something to cry about, but apparently they want a spanking, b/c it didn't help !!! Their victim mentality is just to strong for anything to penetrate !!!

Old 06-11-2019, 10:48 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
Half of my extended family is militantly conservative, I'm a liberal. We all implicitly know not to talk about politics at family gatherings anymore.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:52 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
My father is a Trump supporter, as am I. My mother is a lukewarm Trump supporter. My siblings and other relatives are all anti-Trump, with my older sister being rabidly anti-Trump. My family is black.

We tend not to talk politics when folks with disagreeing views are gathered in one location. I find that this helps.

Some people I liked in school, etc., have stopped talking to me (after savagely insulting me, calling me "mentally ill" and a "white supremacist"/"race traitor") once they found out I voted for Trump. I'm glad these people showed their true colors, though, and I haven't missed them. The way I look at it, life is too short to wish or want such people in your life.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:05 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
My father is a Trump supporter, as am I. My mother is a lukewarm Trump supporter. My siblings and other relatives are all anti-Trump, with my older sister being rabidly anti-Trump. My family is black.

We tend not to talk politics when folks with disagreeing views are gathered in one location. I find that this helps.

Some people I liked in school, etc., have stopped talking to me (after savagely insulting me, calling me "mentally ill" and a "white supremacist"/"race traitor") once they found out I voted for Trump. I'm glad these people showed their true colors, though, and I haven't missed them. The way I look at it, life is too short to wish or want such people in your life.

My wife voted for Trump, I voted for Johnson. Now, after the way the left has acted for the last 3+ years, I'll be voting for him too.

It's sad that people will put politics before family. It tells you there was something wrong, to begin with, and politics is just the excuse to trigger the bad feelings.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:05 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
My wife voted for Trump, I voted for Johnson. Now, after the way the left has acted for the last 3+ years, I'll be voting for him too.

It's sad that people will put politics before family. It tells you there was something wrong, to begin with, and politics is just the excuse to trigger the bad feelings.

But politics is linked to our identity, our ideas, what we believe. In a way it describes who we are. If we are hateful, if we are kind, if we are gullible, if we have decent values, so it does come first before family. If a person rabidly hates gay people, doesn't believe we should help the poor, approves of bullying and ridicule, well, that's a big part of who they are. How can they get along with a family member who is really touchy about politically correct words, thinks college should be free and everyone should get a free basic income, illegals should come before Americans...they're already miles apart. Their differences came first and they are who they are. They already can't be very friendly to each other, family or not. They would have to be extremely careful when they are together. Today's politics have made us stop and think about what we believe and probably have made us believe even more strongly and now we know who we are.

I don't know if I'm right but that's how it seems. We'd so focused on politics that it's shaping who we are. Then who we are is deciding whether or not we can even get along with our family. Somebody needs to come along and help us to find how much we are alike instead of always how much we are different.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:10 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
I don't understand why Liberal/Progressives get so upset over a country that is performing well under Trump. What has he done that has turned out to be a negative? Nothing. Unhinged liberals need to live an let live.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:15 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
But politics is linked to our identity, our ideas, what we believe. In a way it describes who we are. If we are hateful, if we are kind, if we are gullible, if we have decent values, so it does come first before family. If a person rabidly hates gay people, doesn't believe we should help the poor, approves of bullying and ridicule, well, that's a big part of who they are. How can they get along with a family member who is really touchy about politically correct words, thinks college should be free and everyone should get a free basic income, illegals should come before Americans...they're already miles apart. Their differences came first and they are who they are. They already can't be very friendly to each other, family or not. They would have to be extremely careful when they are together. Today's politics have made us stop and think about what we believe and probably have made us believe even more strongly and now we know who we are.

I don't know if I'm right but that's how it seems. We'd so focused on politics that it's shaping who we are. Then who we are is deciding whether or not we can even get along with our family. Somebody needs to come along and help us to find how much we are alike instead of always how much we are different.
Except I'd argue that much of what you describe are often broad over-generalizations aimed at making the opposing side look bad that don't hold up to scrutiny regarding actual beliefs and the reasons for beliefs.

That said, we have to work together for the sake of progress. Cutting people off and throwing tantrums because they don't hold the same political values as you is childish and anti-progress in my view. Legislators who hold traditional views of marriage (and supporting traditional definitions of marriage/being against changing an understanding of marriage that has been around for thousands of years does not inherently make someone hate gays) still are necessary to pass bills to support education funding, funding for roads, and general spending. Similar concepts also apply to "lower" level groups and structures. Cutting people off who hold differing, sincerely held beliefs that are contrary to your own isn't very productive.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:35 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Some of my {D} family members are warming up to Trump but the majority want him impeached and are Bernie supporters. But no one is disowned for who they support.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:54 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
I recently lost a new friend because I said something positive about Trump. The ironic thing is that the positive was about his support for Israel - and the friend is Jewish. She was so angry with me that when she dropped me off after 10 pm, she sped off before she saw I got in the door.

Never heard from her again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies