Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times

Advertisements

They're trying to pull a Roseanne on him and get his TV show cancelled.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:42 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I *think* this is the tweet.

For context, the interviewer is black and asked them a question about strategy in the game of Spades to test if they have "black card" (meaning if they're culturally in-tuned with the black community).

Tim Allen didn't specifically say anything that was racist, but he did look *VERY* uncomfortable and frustrated about the discussion (supposedly he doesn't play Spades). He also kept making a bunch of sarcastic remarks in an attempt to dismiss the interviewer's question and change the subject. This is compared to Tom Hanks who was actively engaging in the interviewer's question and seemed to enjoy it for the light-hearted fun it was intended to be.

For further context, Spades is a card game that's known to be most popular amongst black people.

https://twitter.com/crissles/status/...949283844?s=19
I was taught Spades by a group of black strangers (to me) at a little riverside bar in Asheville, NC. What a great game. Thanks for including this little white girl in your game.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:45 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
That's been the buzz since the show first aired on the other network and then got canceled and picked up on another. Tim plays the victim......

Tim Allen always plays he is banned because of being a conservative.

Meanwhile Patricia Heaton -- a die hard conservative and un-apologetic......has had how many hit shows and keeps coming back for more.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I will say he's not well liked in the Hollywood circuit because he's one of the very few vocal Republicans and Trump supporters (like Scott Baio, Roseanne and Patricia Heaton).

So yes, there are some that are waiting for him to slip up so they can take him down as well.

Despite Tim's political views though, I have no reason to believe he's racist nor sexist. He's just someone who has a typical white working class Michigander background, rough around the edges and probably apolitical if anything.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:

For context, the interviewer is black and asked them a question about strategy in the game of Spades to test if they have a "black card" (meaning if they're culturally in-tuned with the black community).

Tim Allen didn't specifically say anything that was racist, but he did look *VERY* uncomfortable and frustrated about the discussion (supposedly he doesn't play Spades). He also kept making a bunch of sarcastic remarks in an attempt to dismiss the interviewer's question and change the subject. This is compared to Tom Hanks who was actively engaging in the interviewer's question and seemed to enjoy it for the light-hearted fun it was intended to be.

For further context, Spades is a card game that's known to be most popular amongst black people.

Reading a little more back in 2013Allen made a fuss about not being able to use the 'n' word.

He figured if he isn't a racist and has no 'intent' -- he should be allowed to use the word.

I think this interviewer might have been baiting Tim and it worked.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:50 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:

For context, the interviewer is black and asked them a question about strategy in the game of Spades to test if they have a "black card" (meaning if they're culturally in-tuned with the black community).

spades, and its granddaddy pinochle are played by many people...especially us in the military

saying "that's known to be most popular amongst black people" is a racist statement

Old 06-12-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
spades, and its granddaddy pinochle are played by many people...especially us in the military

saying "that's known to be most popular amongst black people" is a racist statement
What the heck are you talking about?

Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 AM

5,981 posts, read 2,235,359 times
Just remember anyone can make an account saying they are black or had a profile of a black person. So don’t believe every post written by a person with a black profile pic is actually black. We are entering 2016 Social media madness with Rusians and Chinese pretending to be Americans and posting all kinds of crap.

That does not mean black folks as a whole even know what the heck those people are complaining about or even care. To be honest Tim Allen is not someone black folks are following or even pay attention too. We haven’t seen him since the Santa Clause movies.

It would have to headline news for black folks to see it, since so many could not find anything I guarantee black folks are not the ones posting some of that crap.

Americans are getting ready for war with each other and don’t even know who is saying what or what to trust.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Reading a little more back in 2013Allen made a fuss about not being able to use the 'n' word.

He figured if he isn't a racist and has no 'intent' -- he should be allowed to use the word.

I think this interviewer might have been baiting Tim and it worked.
Interesting. I didn't know anything about that.

To his credit though, he hasn't actually been caught using the word, nor has he brought up the issue any more.

Tim does a pretty good job of keeping his political views to himself, unlike Roseanne or Scott Baio.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:10 AM

2,923 posts, read 977,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Cut to half an hour later and he isn't trending at all in the top 20.

So I guess it wasn't much -- especially if you can't find it.

It's rare to have a twitter topic in the top 10 that you can't find the story on.

Must be some random troll who started something.
no still there right at the top
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies