Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 08:02 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
90% of scientists. not 90% of GMOs.

although i'd bet it's higher than 90% of scientists...
Is this one of the 10%?
https://www.newscientist.com/article...fe-as-thought/

Well, this one blows out your suggestion that
i'm afraid you are the one confused, my friend. no, that is not the definition today. DNA can be, and is, modified without introducing foreign/exogenous DNA via genome editing.

it adds everything to the discussion because it fundamentally alters what we mean when we say 'genetically modified.' by USDA guidelines, plants genetically edited using CRISPR-Cas and similar methods are NOT regulated the same way as those developed using exogenous DNA:
https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/genom.../genomeediting
First line, in case you are not willing to click the link to learn something:
Quote:
Genome editing (also called gene editing) is a group of technologies that give scientists the ability to change an organism's DNA.
While it does say (as you did):
Quote:
CRISPR-Cas9 was adapted from a naturally occurring genome editing system in bacteria.
It goes on to explain that:
Quote:
Scientists are still working to determine whether this approach is safe and effective for use in people. It is being explored in research on a wide variety of diseases, including single-gene disorders such as cystic fibrosis, hemophilia, and sickle cell disease. It also holds promise for the treatment and prevention of more complex diseases, such as cancer, heart disease, mental illness, and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
More articles, which highlight the benefits AS WELL AS the risks:
https://stanmed.stanford.edu/2018win...ith-risks.html

https://www.alphr.com/bioscience/100...9-gene-editing

All this to say that Genetic Modifying is not inherently bad, but it does warrant caution, and streamlining the process by allowing those who profit from it to decide which measures of safety to remove is not a great idea.

A LITTLE MORE ON MY PERSPECTIVE:
I am not in the slightest against Gene Modification of food or humans. In fact I support it, and have spent the last 19 years trying to learn more about the benefits. Why, you might ask? My daughter (19) has a Genetic Disorder that will someday be cured by Gene Therapy. CRISPR is one of the more promising developments, along with much gene and genome research. I am all for fast-laning progress, and the risk for her is different than it is for the general population. For her, the risk of doing nothing is known. It is death. (Yeah, that's my daughter, so think about how you respond please). It means she could and should be someone who is part of clinical trials. She has everything to gain, and very little to lose.

But bring this back to the original topic. Should we be simplifying the review of GMO (crops, foods, meds)on a wholesale basis, and should be we be relying on those who profit to decide which barriers need to come down. No. For the rest of us, it's big stakes. Companies like (big bad) Monsanto have a history of making decisions that benefit their P/L at the expense of citizens. That is documented in many ways. We have started to see some unexpected adverse results from things like "pesticide resistant crops".

Yep, we have to have a balance, and it is understood that what people consider a balanced approach is in fact subjective. I don't say you are wrong, I don't say I am either. I say that we need to allow progress to happen, but we need to keep our caution-radar up. It's true of almost ANY controversial topic. There is in fact value of (you and I) having opposing views. Where it comes apart is when people get so locked up in winning, or demonizing the other side.

I wish you had the willingness to accept that slowing things down, and proper oversight have benefit, just as I have accepted (and stated) that progress needs to happen, and I am willing to accept some risk.

If you really want to feel confident in your views, then be open minded enough to espouse the opposing view, see if yours still hold up, and always adjust and evolve accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 08:04 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
One of us does...

You're making a federal case out of semantics.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:11 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Why do people double down on stupid when they have reading comprehension deficiencies?
It's a mystery... it goes way beyond the Dunning–Kruger effect.

One of the hallmarks of narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is the inability to admit mistakes, perhaps the answer lies there.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:13 AM

120 posts, read 65,326 times
I guess people don't realize that we throw away more food than we consume. The farmers responsibility should be to ensure their crops are safe, healthy and flavorful. Not that they find faster ways to grow unsafe, unhealthy and flavorless food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies