Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 07:54 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Privatize it.... I don't want SS, I would rather take that money and invest it... Give it back to me...
Can’t give it back; it’s already been given to retirees...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 07:54 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
I see the GOP Congress is desperate for that pay raise they haven't been able to give themselves. AOC refused to support any pay increase for themselves, BTW. They already earn $174,000/year.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/u...pay-raise.html

Old 06-13-2019, 07:55 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
just raise the age...just like when the re-adjusted it in 1983

In 1983, the last time there was federal action to address Social Security’s financial problems, it included gradually increasing the retirement age from 65 to 67–emphasis on g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y.

The first increase didn’t kick in until 20 years later, in 2003 when the full retirement age jumped from 65 to 65 and two months. It’s been rising slowly since then, and won’t get to 67 until 2027.

do it again raising it 70/75 taking effect for those that would retire in 2065ish

the program WAS DESIGNED to kick in at 62 when the AVERAGE LIFE SPAN was 60

raising the full amount age to 70 or 72 would not be a big deal for the individuals (as we can still get partial at 62) but it would be a huge savings

the average life expectancy for ALL americans (not gender specific) is 79.2, with females crossing the 80 mark and males being at 78.6

the average life expectancy when SS came into effect was less than 60

to KEEP UP with its original intent they should raise the age of FULL qualification to about 80.....again you can start collecting at 62 still

something has to be done...

raise the age to 70-74 (for those just entering the workforce ..ie. people born after 1998-02)..makes the most sense

Old 06-13-2019, 07:56 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Privatize it.... I don't want SS, I would rather take that money and invest it... Give it back to me...
when bush 2 meekly suggested the possibility of letting folks privately invest even part of it, moonbat dems cranked out ads showing evil 'pubs throwing granny off a cliff

Old 06-13-2019, 07:56 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That solution requires TIME to work because you can't just raise it like that on current recipients nor on those nearing retirement.

Those are the types of changes you make to people currently <35 and it help you out 40 years down the road.
I didn't say for those in the system NOW

do it again raising it 70/75 taking effect for those that would retire in 2065ish

raise the age to 70-74 (for those just entering the workforce ..ie. people born after 1998-02)..makes the most sense

Old 06-13-2019, 12:53 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Looks like the end of social security is near, something has to give. This has been totally missing from the discussion by any of the candidates or congressmen.
The Social Security Administration has been pulling money out of the OASI Trust Fund for 10 years now.

This is not news.

And, it will crash around 2027-2028, not the 2035 the Trustees project.

The Trustees never make assumptions for recessions. You will have two, probably three recessions, and maybe even four recessions between now and 2035.

You're currently 118 months into the second longest economic expansion in history. All the evidence indicates you will tie the record of 120 months in August and break the record in September.

However, the economy will not expand much longer beyond that. It's possible a recession could start 4th QTR 2019, but more likely it will occur 1st or 2nd QTR 2020.

So, you'll get your wish. The next President will be a Democrat, so choose the contender wisely.

In Economics, past performance is not proof of anything, but the fact remains that both record expansions, the 106-month and the 120-month ended with double-dip recessions.

The possibility you'll have a double-dip recession here is very real.

In the former, the recessions were severe, with lots of job losses, but in the latter, the most recent one, the recessions were rather mild, with few job losses.

And, there's no guarantee that after that you'll launch back into another record 106-month, 120-month or 120-odd month expansion. In fact, it's unlikely you won't. You'll get hit again after 48-72 months.

Then, there's the specter of Inflation. Some, myself included, predict the onset of Inflation around 2025 and lasting quite a few years, like 7-9 years or longer. It will be worse than the 1970s, but not nearly as bad as the 1920s. Figure maybe 15%-25% annual rate of Inflation. That will be Monetary Inflation combined with Demand-pull Inflation.

Those conditions will very rapidly deplete the OASI Trust Fund much sooner than people anticipate.

You can fix it, and fix it permanently. Social Security is real simple:

Revenues = #Workers * Wages * FICA Tax

That's it. We know from 6th Grade Math that if we increase or decrease any of the multipliers, then the product increases or decreases.

You've had a decrease in the #Workers. You're 11 Million workers short, you will always be 11 Million workers short, and there's nothing you can do about it.

You cannot increase Wages. Why? I just told you why. You're 11 Million workers short. It would require a massive across-the-board wage increase for all workers, and that result in rampant Wage Inflation, plus exacerbate the problem.

Your benefits are calculated in part based on the Average Wage Index. Increase wages and you increase the Average Wage Index, so you pay people more in benefits, which doesn't resolve the problem, it only moves the goal-posts.

The only real effective solution is to increase the FICA Tax.

There's a Bill pending before Congress. I don't particularly like the Bill, but I can live with it. It calls for an increase in the exact amount I've been saying you need to increase it for the last 10 years.

The primary issue with Social Security all along is the ratio of Workers-to-Beneficiaries.

The program started, you had 159.4 workers for every beneficiary. Within 5 years that had dropped to 41.9 workers for every beneficiary and continually decreased until 1975 when it stabilized at 3.3 workers for each beneficiary.

That's where it remained for 35 years until 2010, when the Boomers started retiring.

Now it's dropped to about 2.5 workers per beneficiary.

The good news is that from this point on and for the next 100-200 years you will always have about 2.0-2.5 workers per beneficiary.

All you need is one more tax increase of 1.8%-2.2% and the problem is solved for the next 100-200 years.

The current Bill does that. It also taxes income starting at $400,000 and floating, meaning every year the it goes up just as the current wage cap goes up every year.

But, that's not to fund Social Security per se, it's to fund pet projects in the Bill. The Bill gives a boost to lower income workers and those who didn't work 35 years by giving them partial credit for years not worked. So, someone who worked 29 years and is only getting 82% of their benefit would get partial credit for the 6 years they didn't work, so that their benefits are calculated based on 32 years.

If you don't understand how that works, you index your wages to the Average Wage Index and then divide your 35 highest years of wages by 420, which is the number of months in 35 years.

If you only worked 29 years, then you have 72 months of $0 dragging down your average.

Anyway, it's a simple fix, it's just that Congress has a habit of always waiting until the last possible minute, instead of being proactive.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:01 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Social Security will still be able to pay 79% of its benefits in 2034, and in 2089 Social Security will be able to pay 73% of its benefits.
Will Social Security Really Run Out of Money? | Money

And Social Security does not need to be cut, rather it needs to be adjusted like it was adjusted in 1983. "In the late 1970s and early 1980s Social Security ran deficits. Trust fund insolvency loomed in July 1983. With mere months of solvency left, Congress acted to bolster finances on April 20, 1983. SSA still operates under the 1983 funding arrangement, generating surpluses every year since."
Exposing the Social Security solvency hype - MarketWatch

With minor adjustments Social Security can remain solid far into this century.
The end of Social Security as we know it? | Mother Jones

And the reason Social Security will face some problems in the distant future, is because people are having fewer children to pay into the system, and retiring baby boomers are entering the SS program.
The real reason behind Social Security's problems - CBS News
The end of Social Security as we know it? | Mother Jones

And Medicare is also in a similar situation. Medicare’s Hospital Insurance trust fund will be able to pay 100% of the costs of the hospital insurance coverage through 2029. And in 2029 incoming payroll taxes and other revenue will be able to pay 88% of Medicare costs, in 2041 Medicare will be able to pay 81% of the costs, and in 2041 88% of Medicare costs will be covered.

"Claims by some policymakers that the Medicare program is nearing “bankruptcy” are highly misleading. Although Medicare faces financing challenges, the program is not on the verge of bankruptcy or ceasing to operate. Such charges represent misunderstanding (or misrepresentation) of Medicare’s finances."

https://www.cbpp.org/research/health...s-not-bankrupt
That first article is from 3 years ago, projections are a moving target but all indicate we have a problem now and its not expected to improve. People have begun to rely on social security as a prime source of retirement, that was never the intention. To those living in the lower brackets a 20% cut would be severe, the example from the article indicates a cut from $27000 to $21000 in benefits.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:04 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Looks like the end of social security is near, something has to give. This has been totally missing from the discussion by any of the candidates or congressmen,

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/12/b...fall-2020.html
Kick those off who never paid into it. SSDI should be eliminated especially to those who never paid in.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:05 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, the American people taught our leadership a valuable lesson when we skewered Bush I for raising taxes after all even though it was a prudent move at the time.

That lesson is that we're mostly petulant mob of children that want our candy before after and during dinner....or we'll replace our parents.
Yes the voters don't like to hear bad news but they did make adjustments in the 1980's they need to do the same again.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:13 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Looks like the end of social security is near, something has to give. This has been totally missing from the discussion by any of the candidates or congressmen,

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/12/b...fall-2020.html
I am floored by anyone who didn't see this coming. When I started out in the working world in my 20s, we always talked about how social security was never going to be there for us because it was going to run out of money. I was not into politics at the time, I wasn't paying attention to a lot of things I pay attention to now, but it was pretty damn clear even for those who don't care to pay attention that this was not going to last much longer.

How the hell were people unable to see that coming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies