Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 11:26 AM

30,184 posts, read 23,576,940 times

Advertisements

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...alate-jwuzlj4u
Quote:
...The officials said they didn’t know for sure whether the mines were Iranian. The U.S. concluded that Iran was responsible for the attacks based on intelligence sources and the absence of any better explanation, the officials said. They declined to elaborate on the intelligence sources...
That doesn't work for me. "Lack of any better explanation" is not a reason to start tensions and any possible war talk against another country.

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-...says-1.7370817

Quote:
Evidence Shows Oman Tanker Attacks 'State-sponsored,' UAE's Top Diplomat Says

The United Arab Emirates' top diplomat says evidence his country possesses indicates that recent attacks against oil tankers inside UAE waters were "state-sponsored."

Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan didn't name the state...
Name it. Apparently the U.S. wants to blame a country because they can't find a better explanation - if it's Iran, prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, not just because people can't think of any other reason this would have happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 11:55 AM

56,954 posts, read 25,891,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Have you ever sailed a boat? Do you know how VAST these areas of oceans and seas are? The U.S. Navy can not be everywhere at all times.

The U.S. and especially the President has no interest in a war, sky high oil prices, and poor economy. NONE.
Ever since Trump tore up the previously agreed to deal relations have been on a downward trajectory, the far right in both Iran and the US have been empowered. We finally got a moderate leader in Iran with Rouhani and we made him look foolish. Trump has been going out of his way declaring that the IRGC a terrorist organization and Iran is now beginning to slowly back out of the nuclear deal. Even if an agreement is reached why would they ever trust us again.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:06 PM

9,913 posts, read 5,582,365 times
So I just wanna make sure, are we back to not believing U.S. intelligence again? It's hard to keep track of whether and when we're supposed to revere them as institutions and accept their pronouncements as the first and last word versus when we're supposed to distrust them as mustache-twirling villains whose only desire is to set the world alight.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:06 PM

8,409 posts, read 6,786,623 times
You have to be concerned. Something like a Gulf of Tonkin incident? That little episode in 60’s history put me and a lot of other people in my generation in Southeast Asia back in the day. This country has had a long history of presidents democrat and republican that put us into dangerous places around the world using phony incidents and lies.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:17 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,717,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yep, the Navy can handle it just fine. Joint fleet operations with the Brits could more than handle protecting shipping through the Strait. I think that I just might put another carrier group in the mix and I would certainly deploy subs.

Both our subs and the Brits could detect the Iranian boats well before they get close enough to any shipping to be a threat and if the Iranian subs all of a sudden take an unmerciful lashing with active sonar we wouldn't have to fire a single torpedo. That would spook them but good. Getting lit up and not being able to detect the boats doing it would set Iranian sub captains back on their heels. Back in port would look like a good place to be.

Being beaten with active sonar from our subs and being swarmed by destroyers will leave a lasting impression. Iranian surface assets are limited to small fastboats and Marine Corps and Navy attack helicopters and F F/A 18s will convince these critters to seek life elsewhere. Unless they want to wind up floating home as small debris.

Yes, keeping things in the Strait is more than just a good idea.
Submarines have very restricted operational capacity in the Persian Gulf, too shallow.

A carrier group does also, too small overall and easily in range of land based weapons, they would all operate out of the Arabian Sea.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:01 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,407,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Ever since Trump tore up the previously agreed to deal relations have been on a downward trajectory, the far right in both Iran and the US have been empowered. We finally got a moderate leader in Iran with Rouhani and we made him look foolish. Trump has been going out of his way declaring that the IRGC a terrorist organization and Iran is now beginning to slowly back out of the nuclear deal. Even if an agreement is reached why would they ever trust us again.
If you ask me... and I know you didn't, this has Israel written all over it.
The CIA story makes no sense and Iran is denying any involvement.
First they said Iranian missiles, then an Iranian mine, to Iranian frogmen planting explosives.

Did you see the night vision video, the CIA claims is the Iranians removing un-exploded ordnance, off the side of the ship? Look at the short edited video. What is odd about the video and the narrative, it is proof they are removing the evidence, of an un-exploded device.
Explosive... a dozen guys, in civilian life vests, standing on the front of that small boat, while one guy removes something that may explode.
Then news is reported, the Iranians have the crew members of the tanker.

Now, what are we really seeing.... that the CIA is pushing as proof ordnance was removed from the hull. was the boat member just untying a mooring rope, so the crew could get aboard?

Look at the holes that did penetrate the hull. Well above the waterline. Drone?

Old 06-16-2019, 03:10 PM

56,954 posts, read 25,891,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If you ask me... and I know you didn't, this has Israel written all over it.
The CIA story makes no sense and Iran is denying any involvement.
First they said Iranian missiles, then an Iranian mine, to Iranian frogmen planting explosives.

Did you see the night vision video, the CIA claims is the Iranians removing un-exploded ordnance, off the side of the ship? Look at the short edited video. What is odd about the video and the narrative, it is proof they are removing the evidence, of an un-exploded device.
Explosive... a dozen guys, in civilian life vests, standing on the front of that small boat, while one guy removes something that may explode.
Then news is reported, the Iranians have the crew members of the tanker.

Now, what are we really seeing.... that the CIA is pushing as proof ordnance was removed from the hull. was the boat member just untying a mooring rope, so the crew could get aboard?

Look at the holes that did penetrate the hull. Well above the waterline. Drone?
Israel, Saudi Arabia and UAE want the US in the middle of this, let them take on Iran. This is not our fight, we never should have sent a military force to begin with. Let those countries use some of that military equipment we sent them along with their own soldiers.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:48 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,455,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Israel, Saudi Arabia and UAE want the US in the middle of this, let them take on Iran. This is not our fight, we never should have sent a military force to begin with. Let those countries use some of that military equipment we sent them along with their own soldiers.
I fully agree with this assessment. While I do see Iran as a threat to those countries, particularly Israel. it shouldn't concern the US.

Then again, when Israel went after Lebanon back in 2006 (after being hit with Iranian weapons), the US got a lot of flack as well.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:57 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,407,651 times
I'm not buying the CIA's narrative.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:03 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,049,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I will at least give you credit for this being funny. That’s all your gonna get from me on this though.
Uhhh...I wasn’t joking though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies