Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:08 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times

Advertisements

I have run into many people who profess to be an authority on war even though the only war they experienced was playing a war game on a pc. PTSD is real and when we ask men and women to go to war to fight for us then we must be responsible for any injury they suffer either mental or physical.
The problem is we live in a corporate government whereas the overlords do not want to bear the expense of combat and therefore deny the maladies of war. Trump is a prime example. Comrade Trump is a draft dodger to the worst degree. Trump is a weak, vindictive, narcissist who tries to defend his cowardice by attempting to discredit our war heroes like John McCain and others.

It is hard for me to understand how anyone who loves America and respects all those who have fought and died, served, and continue to serve, continue to support a coward like Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 09:27 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This is Trump's opinion. What do you think?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-vet...172839989.html
And here's an example that "toxic masculinity" I was complaining about in another thread.

PTSD: only wussies get it...lol.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:34 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:

tRump wouldn't know the first thing about PTSD. Of course, that doesn't keep the blabbering ignoramus from voicing an utterly stupid verdict.

Cowards like him and McConnell found ways to squirm out of ever being exposed to danger.

That makes them heroes to rwnjs everywhere.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:31 AM

73,006 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Trump is a jerk, and a thoughtless person. I also see something else. He has that old school mentality when it comes to manhood. If anything, there are many who like that "old school" way of doing things. His thoughtless words, some people eat it up for these reasons:

1) To make people who aren't conservative angry
2) To appeal to an old school version of manhood.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:29 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
This is a stupid thing for Trump to say. I'm a combat vet. Airborne infantry in Iraq. Of course people handle PTSD differently and some people have a much more difficult time processing it than others. But to imply that it's somehow related to being "strong" or being "weak" is just plain ignorant. I don't know anyone who actually went downrange and sent rounds that wasn't changed by it. If you served in a combat MOS in combat and it didn't screw with your head you were probably already crazy before you got there. Trump should just shut up about combat and how it effects people. He knows nothing about it.
have a good friend. Marine infantry Vietnam 67-68. been in more combat than anyone I have ever met. We discussed PTSD and I always remember one of his final remarks...………."Most of the people I know who are messed up were halfway there before combat" {in other words they had "mental" issues before combat} In other words call it what you will weakness,inability to cope, or just plain every individual is affected differently...……..hard to "split hairs" on this subject...…..

Old 06-16-2019, 03:46 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
have a good friend. Marine infantry Vietnam 67-68. been in more combat than anyone I have ever met. We discussed PTSD and I always remember one of his final remarks...………."Most of the people I know who are messed up were halfway there before combat" {in other words they had "mental" issues before combat} In other words call it what you will weakness,inability to cope, or just plain every individual is affected differently...……..hard to "split hairs" on this subject...…..
First of all, I don't mean to be disrespectful.

When he (your friend) talked about "not be able to cope", I would like to know what he meant by that?

Simply developing symptoms like nightmare, flashback types of unable to cope

or killing your fellow citizens, beating your wife and children, drink and abuse drugs everyday types of unable to cope

The second kind (killing your fellow citizens, beating your wife and children,) Yeah, mostly likely, they were already messed up before the military service,

But simply developing symptoms is rather common for combat veterans. A lot of people hide or manage their symptoms well. Has nothing to do with mental strength.

PTSD doesn't mean holding a shotgun in your hands all the time and waiting to die.

Like I posted earlier, I have a friend who would immediately push my head down on the ground when he heard a loud noise nearby, that is a sign of PTSD. He managed the symptoms well, and the symptoms last about couple of months, but it doesn't mean combat has absolutely no effects on him, it certainly does not mean he was weak. I would say he is coping pretty well.

Plus, PTSD manifests itself in many ways. Not all of them are fear. Hypervigilance which can save your life and others. Quick to action, even violent action, when feeling as though one is in danger.

A lot of PTSD is the result of survivor guilt. The trauma doesn't come from killing the enemy, primarily. It comes from seeing your buddies, men you drank with and shared your lives with, get shot and torn up by artillery.

PTSD is a very complicated disorder. Strong or weak, able to cope, not be able to cope, these are all too simple terms to explain this disorder.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-16-2019 at 04:30 PM..

Old 06-16-2019, 07:21 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
First of all, I don't mean to be disrespectful.

When he (your friend) talked about "not be able to cope", I would like to know what he meant by that?

Simply developing symptoms like nightmare, flashback types of unable to cope

or killing your fellow citizens, beating your wife and children, drink and abuse drugs everyday types of unable to cope

The second kind (killing your fellow citizens, beating your wife and children,) Yeah, mostly likely, they were already messed up before the military service,

But simply developing symptoms is rather common for combat veterans. A lot of people hide or manage their symptoms well. Has nothing to do with mental strength.

PTSD doesn't mean holding a shotgun in your hands all the time and waiting to die.

Like I posted earlier, I have a friend who would immediately push my head down on the ground when he heard a loud noise nearby, that is a sign of PTSD. He managed the symptoms well, and the symptoms last about couple of months, but it doesn't mean combat has absolutely no effects on him, it certainly does not mean he was weak. I would say he is coping pretty well.

Plus, PTSD manifests itself in many ways. Not all of them are fear. Hypervigilance which can save your life and others. Quick to action, even violent action, when feeling as though one is in danger.

A lot of PTSD is the result of survivor guilt. The trauma doesn't come from killing the enemy, primarily. It comes from seeing your buddies, men you drank with and shared your lives with, get shot and torn up by artillery.

PTSD is a very complicated disorder. Strong or weak, able to cope, not be able to cope, these are all too simple terms to explain this disorder.
"inability to cope" are my words. not my friends. His are in quotation marks. The only visible scars my friend showed were one day I asked him why he brushed his teeth so many times a day.....{he was always saying i'll be right with you but need to brush my teeth first"} As soon as I asked this he just exploded on me...……." you ****** live in a hole in the ground for two months at a time with no shower,let alone brush your teeth and then talk to me!" That was the only outward sign of any issues I
ever saw with him. I know he had a lot inside there though...……...
I had survivors guilt for years. probably still do...………
yes PTSD is very complicated, that is why I said i'm not "splitting hairs". Millions suffer from it. Probably with a million different reasons why and a million ways they are coping with it on different levels.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:28 PM

19,838 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:

Just curious about what caused you to dig up this 3 year old article?

Old 06-16-2019, 07:55 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
"inability to cope" are my words. not my friends. His are in quotation marks. The only visible scars my friend showed were one day I asked him why he brushed his teeth so many times a day.....{he was always saying i'll be right with you but need to brush my teeth first"} As soon as I asked this he just exploded on me...……." you ****** live in a hole in the ground for two months at a time with no shower,let alone brush your teeth and then talk to me!" That was the only outward sign of any issues I
ever saw with him. I know he had a lot inside there though...……...
I had survivors guilt for years. probably still do...………
yes PTSD is very complicated, that is why I said i'm not "splitting hairs". Millions suffer from it. Probably with a million different reasons why and a million ways they are coping with it on different levels.
Makes perfect sense and I agree with this 100%

Thank you much!

Old 06-16-2019, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 938 times
I guess it can technically be true. Everyone is different and we all have different genes And life experiences. What might cause PTSD and one person will not necessarily cause it in another. Just like some people that are abused as children end up with depression because of it and other people don’t. It has to do with epigenetic’s. If you want to equate the ability to cope with strength, then fine. but it really doesn’t matter what words he’s trying to use. The point is that we all have different needs based on epigenetic and who cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies