Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 02:04 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
The difference is that in other countries, you have to qualify to go to college. Everyone isn't allowed to attend and waste valuable teaching resources. Most are steered towards a trade school. If you decided to go to a school you were not qualified to attend and spend thousands of dollars partying and barely getting by, you should not send the bill to those of us who decided to go to a cheaper school because a bachelors degree from ANY school is the same as a another after 5 years.
We could do the same thing here, you don't just get to go to college
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 02:08 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Nope, I know a guy who went to NYU and his thesis was that Thomas Jefferson was a conservative . The professor did not accept it because it did not match is liberal views.. He refused the thesis and the student was asked to leave.. the fellow took his case to a liberal NYC court and the University won.. this is liberal one sided power to corrupt the free thinkers and if they do not get indoctrinated they are banned . And I have heard of other cases like this.. The fellow is a family member.
Expulsion sounds a bit extreme. Did he do something else like plagiarize? We need more details.

If you did NOT make this story up, would you mind sharing the name of your "family member" in question so that posters can do a Google search and find more information on the subject?

Old 06-24-2019, 02:12 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Or what about those of us who did not get loans, but worked through - including a year off to work and save money for the following year's tuition? Or those who took six or seven years to get through because they took night classes and worked full-time during the day in order to avoid having loans?

Instead, the Demokrats are going to punish the responsible people who didn't want to graduate with loans and forgive those who used loan money to live it up, including elaborate vacations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Expulsion sounds a bit extreme. Did he do something else like plagiarize? We need more details.

If you did NOT make this story up, would you mind sharing the name of your "family member" in question so that posters can do a Google search and find more information on the subject?
Isn't this what they ALWAYS do?

Old 06-27-2019, 10:40 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times
So the people that didn't go to college, or did so and were smart enough not to go into debt, have to foot the bill for the half-witts that brought on debt for a worthless degree?

How is that?

Old 07-22-2019, 06:26 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
My son is going into his second year of college. I just paid the bill for this fall semester. We started setting $ aside monthly into a 529 when he was about two years old and should have enough to pay three years or so of school. It was planned ahead and saved.

I know the loans we take out and pay them back. I’m responsible for that. I don’t understand canceling loan debt and don’t support it.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:37 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
My son is going into his second year of college. I just paid the bill for this fall semester. We started setting $ aside monthly into a 529 when he was about two years old and should have enough to pay three years or so of school. It was planned ahead and saved.

I know the loans we take out and pay them back. I’m responsible for that. I don’t understand canceling loan debt and don’t support it.
I agree there, and we did the same. Fortunately my kids both got academic scholarships so they only have to pay for room and board.

There should be a value assigned to higher education and it does cost money, and the beneficiary of that thing of value should pay something.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:48 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Looks like Democrats are going to start introducing legislation prior to next year's election to make a statement that are serious about these expansions.

It's basically a game the Democrats are doing because they know that it won't pass the Republican senate and President Trump will veto.

Estimates are that this new scheme they are introducing in Democrats higher education package would have a price tag of 125 billion dollars a year.

They just want to manipulate desperate segments of society into saying look at your going to get if you vote for us in 2020.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/13/bill...loan-debt.html

Borrowers with a household income of less than $100,000 would have $50,000 outstanding loans "Scrubbed"

Borrowers would have student debt forgiveness all the way up to $250,000 annual income
More bailouts.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:48 PM

2,180 posts, read 640,315 times
The economy would actually be helped immensely by student loan forgiveness. Classic demand side equation. Everything from the real estate market to cars, retail and investment products would benefit with all the extra cash that would be available to consumers. But, maybe instead of wholesale forgiveness, a more sensible alternative would be the following:

1) Making student loan payments dollar-for-dollar deductible, just like any regular business expense that a corporation gets to write off;

2) Implementing a very very low or zero interest repayment scheme.

When the banks and big business (AIG, for example) were on the precipice they were offered rescue packages at very measly interest.

Oh... and 3) Student loan debt should be dischargable in bankruptcy like ordinary debt.

If the government is going to get involved in fully funding higher education then people are going to have to learn to deal with how they do in Germany, for example, where everyone is funneled into programs that suit their intelligence and skill.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:52 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
The difference is that in other countries, you have to qualify to go to college. Everyone isn't allowed to attend and waste valuable teaching resources. Most are steered towards a trade school. If you decided to go to a school you were not qualified to attend and spend thousands of dollars partying and barely getting by, you should not send the bill to those of us who decided to go to a cheaper school because a bachelors degree from ANY school is the same as a another after 5 years.
We need a system such as that here. College should be where one goes because he wants to a) gain professional job skills such as accounting. Or, b) to pursue a higher degree to become an academic.

Millions of people who have no interest in college should not be going to college just because. It dumbs down the entire system and is a huge waste.

Most people should be going through an apprenticeship system, graduating into a trade program with useful skills.

Our current system is largely the reason we have ever-expanding budgets for colleges, and therefore ever-increasing tuition and student debt. In the end, most graduating, if they graduate, have a useless degree and are brainwashed by their professors, resulting in the massive number of low-information voters we have.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I fully expect this legislation will fail. And it should fail. Pay your own bills.
I agree. Although I wish college tuition would stop rising, but it's interesting how many people who can't repay their loans, went to expensive colleges and/or did international study programs. Then after graduation, realize how much debt they've racked up and want someone else to pay for it. Why should I pay for someone else's whirlwind semester in Europe? That should never be on the taxpayer's dime. If there is student loan forgiveness, it should only be for people who attended trade schools or community college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies