Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 08:00 AM

5,973 posts, read 2,214,423 times

Advertisements

I look at a city like St. Louis and Memphis and am amazed that those cities have not seen more rioting.

1) You have a black population pushed to one side of the city through red lining in the 50's, 60's 70's and 80's.
2) No jobs in those areas to support the herding of the black population in those areas
3) Horrible schools in those areas, ensuring each generation remains uneducated
4) A police force that ensures black folks know where the line between "their neighborhoods" and the rest of the city is located.

3 generations of people herded to one side of a city with no jobs, poor education, and no outreach by the city or surrounding white population. Same situation in Chicago, Boston, NYC, Baltimore, on and on and on. The effects of segregation of the 1900's is still affecting the country today.

My question to America is, What did you expect to happen? What do you think happens when you remove all hope, education, economic opportunities for generations?

We are just starting to repair these issues, no thanks to our complicit governments in the Deep South. Remember these were State and Local policies that lead to this. Might help some of you understand why Black Folk are weary of ceding too much control to local governments, they have not been our friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 08:05 AM

52,544 posts, read 34,259,842 times
Suspect Fatally Shot By US Marshals In Memphis, Sparking Riot, Was Wanted For Shooting Man 5 Times

Old 06-14-2019, 08:10 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,518,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I look at a city like St. Louis and Memphis and am amazed that those cities have not seen more rioting.

1) You have a black population pushed to one side of the city through red lining in the 50's, 60's 70's and 80's.
2) No jobs in those areas to support the herding of the black population in those areas
4) A police force that ensures black folks know where the line between "their neighborhoods" and the rest of the city is located.

3 generations of people herded to one side of a city with no jobs, poor education, and no outreach by the city or surrounding white population. Same situation in Chicago, Boston, NYC, Baltimore, on and on and on. The effects of segregation of the 1900's is still affecting the country today.

My question to America is, What did you expect to happen? What do you think happens when you remove all hope, education, economic opportunities for generations?

We are just starting to repair these issues, no thanks to our complicit governments in the Deep South. Remember these were State and Local policies that lead to this. Might help some of you understand why Black Folk are weary of ceding too much control to local governments, they have not been our friends.
Without exception all the places you mentioned are controlled 100% by Democrats. Have been for decades.

It won't change until the locals are willing to actually change as well.

BTW, Chicago, Boston, NYC, Baltimore, St Louis are not in the Deep South.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:11 AM

6,453 posts, read 6,995,149 times
gee I wonder what party the rioters would vote for...

Old 06-14-2019, 08:21 AM

6,453 posts, read 6,995,149 times
Quote:

As a black man, I have to say that this is pure nonsense. This isn't the 40's, 50's and 60's. This isn't your great grandfather's, or your grandfather's America. How many many trillions have to be spent on public housing, section 8, food stamp programs, WIC, 'head start', pell grants, a 'black president' and affirmative action programs until some of us decide that America has spent more than enough on 'hope' and 'opportunity'?

Good god--I've said it once and I'll say it again, if you can't 'make it' with all of this behind you--you'll never 'make it'. The excuses have to stop. Even our great great grandparents who were directly linked to slavery didn't sit here and burn down their own neighborhoods and they would have begged for 1/10th of the support and opportunities that we have today.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:07 AM

5,973 posts, read 2,214,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Without exception all the places you mentioned are controlled 100% by Democrats. Have been for decades.

It won't change until the locals are willing to actually change as well.

BTW, Chicago, Boston, NYC, Baltimore, St Louis are not in the Deep South.

I could go back and forth with you all day but Ill summarize it by saying this.
The black community is resurging, you see more economic and education growth since the internet became mainstream than any other time. Black folks are finally realizing that the issues that we faces in Baltimore and Chicago are the same as in Memphis and New Orleans. Because the policies were the same and the goal or intent was the same. Maintain defacto segregation through policies at the state and local levels. And maintain control of economic factors through education quality and use of tax credits and other incentives to ensure businesses build outside of black areas.

Again black folk are not worried about Democrat vs Republican, we are moving past that. And I think we are seeing a white lash or pushback because this is known and cannot be stifled this time. Because the internet allows for communication outside of suppressed communities where regular black folk can learn just how poorly public policy treated our population. And it allows for Black folk to get involved with community issues or be made aware of issues that affect our communities before they go to vote.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:34 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,133,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
^It's called anger. This is what some people do when they are angry. It isn't going to matter what the details are. Not say they should. I'm saying it is what it is. This is how some people handle perceived injustices: Violence. The idea of "violence is the only way to get someone's attention".
Don't forget the {free stuff}

Old 06-14-2019, 09:40 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.npr.org/2019/06/13/73228...eadly-shooting

This seems to be more and more common. The police involved should always have a unbiased, external third-party investigation.

There is so much rage and anger in many of these cities from people who were raised by terrible, absentee parents that literally any thing that can be used as an excuse to riot sets a large number of people off.

I would venture to guess that the tax-base being as depleted as it is many cities, means that only one or two police officers can show up to defuse a very dangerous situation. So they likely tend to overreact more than they would if these nearly-bankrupt cities had an adaquate response.

But the level of anger, rage and social unrest seems to be ever increasing in many American cities.

There is deep social rot in many cities. Generations of unwed pregnancies, lack of community, massive amounts of children raised by low-IQ people who can't take care of themselves means these cities are likely to have major problems in the near future.

The case in question involved federal marshals in the shooting, not the city police so the riotous anger is a bit ...misdirected...as well. If there's any impropriety with the circumstances of the shooting these dumbs***** rioting and killing local cops need to look at the DOJ.

But as is usual they would rather flush their toilets in their own backyards.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:50 AM

14,466 posts, read 11,245,012 times
In most of these riots it starts out as anger but then devolves into nothing more than a great opportunity to break windows and steal big screen tvs and 30 packs of Bud.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:51 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,518,232 times
Quote:
I could go back and forth with you all day but Ill summarize it by saying this.
The black community is resurging, you see more economic and education growth since the internet became mainstream than any other time. Black folks are finally realizing that the issues that we faces in Baltimore and Chicago are the same as in Memphis and New Orleans. Because the policies were the same and the goal or intent was the same. Maintain defacto segregation through policies at the state and local levels. And maintain control of economic factors through education quality and use of tax credits and other incentives to ensure businesses build outside of black areas.

Again black folk are not worried about Democrat vs Republican, we are moving past that. And I think we are seeing a white lash or pushback because this is known and cannot be stifled this time. Because the internet allows for communication outside of suppressed communities where regular black folk can learn just how poorly public policy treated our population. And it allows for Black folk to get involved with community issues or be made aware of issues that affect our communities before they go to vote.
What I said was a statement of fact. There's no going back & forth. You blamed the ills on the Deep South and complicit goverment. Yet the places you cite are not in the South and the government is elected by the local people and always Democrats.

You either stand by your words or your don't. But here's the thing. As long as you see yourself as different and a victim before you see yourself as an American, then well... you will be different and a victim. Where we are today, after 50+ years of LBJ's "great society" speaks for itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies